Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Americans do not travel!

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Americans do not travel!

In my years on the internet I have spoken with a lot if folks who are not from the United States. Many of these people think Americans are uncultured because most Americans do not have a passport and have not traveled outside of our nations borders.

I have a few points of contention with that line of thought.

Most countries in the world are about the size of one of our states. Just because many Americans don't travel outside of the U.S. Doesn't mean they don't travel to states that are culturally "foreign" to them. America is probably the most diverse country in the world, so traveling from state to state is much like traveling from country to country in Europe in my opinion.

2. Flyattractor Guest

Size matters.

That and europe is full of snobs.

3. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilliams View Post
    In my years on the internet I have spoken with a lot if folks who are not from the United States. Many of these people think Americans are uncultured because most Americans do not have a passport and have not traveled outside of our nations borders.

I have a few points of contention with that line of thought.

Most countries in the world are about the size of one of our states. Just because many Americans don't travel outside of the U.S. Doesn't mean they don't travel to states that are culturally "foreign" to them. America is probably the most diverse country in the world, so traveling from state to state is much like traveling from country to country in Europe in my opinion.
    I would agree to an extent. Traveling from country to country, especially in Europe, is much the same as from state to state here in the U.S. I imagine the cost to travel from, say France, to German, Spain, Italy, or any of the other surrounding countries is about the same as traveling from state to state here in the U.S. We only have 2 countries bordering us here in the U.S., and depending on where you are in the country, it may not be feasible for you to easily travel to either. While a European could travel to multiple countries by car and in a few hours time, unless we want to go to Canada or Mexico, we have to fly, which makes it more expensive and increases the time as well. So, I don't think that is exactly a fair assessment that we don't travel enough. However, I can also say that I know a large number of people who have never set foot outside their home state.

4. Flyattractor Guest

True. In Europe nowadays. You can practically drive across the whole of int on 1 tank of gas.

For most Americans. The cost of it is just too far out of reach any more.

And the only good culture in either of out border countries is beer,and drugs.

At least Mexico has both.

5. altoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdlogan View Post
    I can also say that I know a large number of people who have never set foot outside their home state.
    I remember when a friend of mine in the army reserve told me that other than when the military sent him somewhere he never travel outside of texas which I found supriseing and for the rest of the day me and few friend tried to convince him to just leave the state even if he just crosses the border went to oklahoma and turned straight back around he needed to get out.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    True. In Europe nowadays. You can practically drive across the whole of int on 1 tank of gas.

For most Americans. The cost of it is just too far out of reach any more.

And the only good culture in either of out border countries is beer,and drugs.

At least Mexico has both.
    Wont lie, Kinda offended by that

7. Flyattractor Guest

]The truth hurts.

8. TomLupo Guest

I HATE MEXICO!!!

RATHER I HATE THE WAY THEY ARE TAKING AWAY ALL THE FOOD JOBS IN NEW YORK.

9. Chilli Guest

If Americans were willing to work as hard for as little money this wouldn't be an issue. Americans, generally speaking, are lazy and spoiled.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    If Americans were willing to work as hard for as little money this wouldn't be an issue. Americans, generally speaking, are lazy and spoiled.
    I think, as they say- "the thruth hurts"

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast