Thread: SEB-standard: WEEK 1

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard: WEEK 1

Ok, last week the question was raised, just what IS the SEB-standard?

The answer is depressingly simple. But, like the song goes, it’s “..simple as a flower, and that’s a complicated thing.” Anyway, for this week’s installment, we’ll take a look at exactly what the title of this column means, and see if that sheds any light on what kinds of things this column will feature in the future.

The SEB-standard, initially, was meant as a simple play on words. I’m Seb, and my column, I imagine, will be pretty SUBstandard. So there you have it, self-effacing word play. Since, as I keep telling you, I have no specific plans for this column, I am warning you that this will fall well below par; especially if you compare me to Steven Forbes and his column, “BOLTS AND NUTS”. That column has a point, a direction, an agenda, and is chock full of good ideas and helpful hints. Mine will primarily be filled with my own rambling musings as to (I hope) at least semi-related comic themes.

Beyond that, we have another angle to the pun. These are my thoughts, the world of comics as I see it. Sometimes, that will mean looking at the big picture. Other times that will mean getting out the magnifying glass an looking very closely at one small part. Regardless of the view we’re taking, it will always be MY eyes doing the viewing, so we’re only getting my perspective of any given subject. My thoughts. My views. My ideas. My standards, Seb’s standards.

So, there you have it. What does SEB-standard mean?
    1) It’s just a pun.
    2) I’m being self-effacing.
    3) It’s my column, from my standards.

Woo-Hoo! Triple entendre!

Thanks for reading.

NEXT WEEK: 24 HOUR COMIC DAY
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. StevenForbes Guest

See? How hard was that?

You'e going to do fine. I'm interested in what you have to say about 24 hr comic day.

3. DavidPaul Guest

Okay, I have a suggestion, if you're willing to hear it. I think a good approach (and theme) to your column would be quality from the big boys. Basically you take a look at what Marvel and DC are producing (along with a few others - Image, Dark Horse, etc.) analyze what they're doing and tell us if they are meeting your standards. Where they are succeeding. Where they are failing. And why! This way an independent creator can check out your column and be well informed of what to do to insure success, and the things needed to avoid failure.

Imagine me, a lonely reader in desperate need of understanding why DC has been planning on killing off Batman, writing you here at your column to ask, "Dear Mr. Seb... long-time reader first time poster... I'm an amateurish comic creator and I would love to some day been rolling in the dough from one of my creations. Why, oh why, are the idiots at DC planning on killing my beloved Batman? Signed, your friend, Desperate-to-Understand." You, the now well-informed Sebster, are able to answer with confidence that I should not worry about the fate of Batman, a proven cash-cow for DC. And don't give up hope for my own creations to maybe some day make enough money to pay the rent. But with declining sells in the market it might be a cold day in hell before I can retire and move to Malibu. I sigh with regret, but all is right with the world. Thanks to THE INCREDIBLE SEB-MAN! MASTER OF THE SEB-STANDARD!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

No, Forby, 'twasn't that bad. And, I'm curious as to what I'll have to say about 24 hour comic day, myself. Especially since I'm all signed up, and will be participating in it this weekend! :eek:

David, like I tell my students, I'm always willing to hear suggestions. It gives me something to ignore!
    Good thoughts, but I'm gonna take a pass. part of my SEB-standard is to bee free to raom wherever my unfocused little mind takes me. So, I'm not gonna get all indepth with the big two. Besides, the internet is FILLED with people willing to give you their opinions on MARVEL and/or DC. I'm gonna take a different route.
    Otherwise, I'll quickly become just another dork with a modem, ranting about how "I'd run the company".

But thanks for reading, thanks for posting!

CAT. 5

5. StevenForbes Guest

I agree with Seb on this one. Why be like everyone else? It's not like there's a dearth of people who won't give you their views of Marvel/DC.

I think that, as long as you can do something like a Howard Stern, Seb, readers will keep coming back. (Howard Stern? He's an ass! Just listen to him!) That's right, and that's part of my point. And it just goes to show you I can argue with myself anywhere!!! Heh.

Anyway, even people who don't like Howard will tune in to listen to what he's going to say next. Or at least in his heyday. You can evoke him without emulating him. Get that same air about you and the column of unpredictability. Be smart, be entertaining, be creative, but have something to say about comics that most people aren't. This way, they'll keep coming back to see what you're going to say next.

Don't become just another review column. There are enough of those. Find out what your standard is, and apply it to comicdom. You have information that most readers don't have? Share it! You have thoughts on a process and how to bring it up to your standard? Wax poetic on it.

But be smart, entertaining, creative, and have it apply to comics.

Just my thoughts.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Crap! You guys are gonna turn me into a legitimate journalist!

The nearest thing to an "ANGLE" that I can think of taking on this thing, is to be the PROFESSIONAL AMATEUR. I'll definitely be waxing poetic on all things comic.

I can see what you're saying about Stern. I'm thinking more Eddie Izzard, John Stewart, and Bill Maher, with Andy Rooney's approach to topic choice.

It may get a tad surreal at times.

CAT. 5

7. TomLupo Guest

"ROBOTS ARE MAKIN' ME DIZZY"

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

See? It's surreal already!

CAT. 5

9. all_LI_girls Guest

Im looking forward to future installments! I find myself....drawn to you!

10. TomLupo Guest

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!