Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: SEB-Standard: Week 2 - The 24 Hour Project

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-Standard: Week 2 - The 24 Hour Project

Have you ever thought of creating your own comics? C’mon, what FANBOY hasn’t?

Well, this past weekend I got the chance. My pal, Rick Shea, owns the local comic shop, FAMOUS FACES & FUNNIES, and he was one of many shop owners to host the latest round of 24 HOUR COMICS events. Started by Scott “UNDERSTANDING COMICS” McCloud, 24HCD gathers a bunch of creators, known and unknown, to try and churn out 24 pages in 24 hours.

I’ll tell ya this much, I’ll never bitch about a late comic again! In fact, every fanboy on every message board who EVER even hinted at flaming a creator whose book is running late should be FORCED to participate in 24 hour comics day! Much like I feel that people should not be able to open a bank account until they’ve spent at least 6 months as a teller.

Anyway, at around 11:00 AM on Saturday, I rolled into my usual parking spot outside FF&F, with bags of art supplies, bottled water, a semi-comfy chair, and a vague notion of creativity. I picked out a spot (in front of the BOOSTER GOLD Hardcover….you know….for luck), shot the shit with Sean for a while, ran to Walgreens for new batteries for my digital camera, and waited for the starting gun.

We had a good luck speech and a boat-load of energy drinks donated from the people at BAWLZ. Nothing makes for a good time quite like stayin’ up all night, hopped up on energy drinks, and making BAWLZ jokes! “Rick, can I have a sip of your BAWLZ?”

At Noon, with about 14 other people, we were given the green light. Rick divvied up the BLUE LINE PRO paper, and we were off. Now, here’s where I attempted to be clever. I think (hope) it worked, but damn, I nearly killed myself on this one. I didn’t want to plan ahead. I wanted to walk in there and just create the entire damn thing, plot, story, art, all from scratch. The problem was, no story was forthcoming. Heck, no IDEA for a story was forthcoming. I didn’t want to use any of the characters from the project I’m working on. I didn’t want this rushed breach birth for them, all messy and in front of everyone. So I had to come with something new. But what?

I had no idea.

And then it hit me. Stupid, but I thought it was funny, and once I get those asinine thoughts, I can’t shake ‘em. So, I went with it. My idea was my lack of an idea.
    Wha-wha-what?

I would write and draw 24 pages about myself, trying to write and draw 24 pages.

It had potential to be really, really, great; or really, really, stupid! I decided I could live with either!

As luck would have it, everybody there loved what I did. They were constantly passing around my finished pages and cracking up. Granted, this COULD very well have been a side effect of sleep deprivation, but regardless, I work best to an audience, so I kept trying to keep them laughing.

In the end, I did it. Sure, not every page is fully inked, but I wrote and drew 24 pages in 18 hours and 15 minutes. A lot of sight gags, a LOT of puns, a bunch of inside comic book humor, all revolving around myself trying to come up with a plot. My artwork is “OK”, but definitely proves I made the right decision when I fired myself as artist on my own project. I’m very inconsistent, I have one great panel, one crap panel, and two “OK” panels, all on the same page. Some of it reads more like comic strips, than comic books, but it’s there it’s done. I would have stayed on to finish inking the whole thing, but at just before 7:00 AM, the energy drinks were wearing off, and I was crashing big time.

That’s right. I completed a 24 hour comic, but it took all my BAWLZ.

Scanner-less as I am, I don’t have all the pages to put up, but Rick will be scanning them in through-out the week, and maybe I’ll put some up. In the meantime, here are two that I snapped with ye ole digital camera. Note the dangers of lettering in ink after being up for over 20 hours and drawing for over 16. On the ONE MORE PAGE page, you’ll notice the missing “N” in EXCHANGE”. It has since been fixed, but I didn’t re-photograph it, for whatever reason.

Exhaustion, delirium, caffeine poisoning, and sloppy craftsmanship aside, I’m so glad I did this. It was a lot of fun, and very insightful. I made some friends, had some laughs, got free CiCi’s pizza and Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream. I learned some things, got some wonderful experience and discipline, along with a heaping helping of humble pie. It was good.

I think the best part, the part that stays with me, is knowing that I, and the others there that night, and the others at the various hosted events across the country (and internationally, I’d imagine) all took part in something; separate, yet together, ya know? A kind of dork camaraderie, if you will. The talent varied, some of the others were freakin’ awesome! Like Mark, whose style rather reminded me of Terry Moore, Neal, who couldn’t get past his perfectionism, and spent over 4 hours on his FIRST PANEL! There was a book called MAXIMUM GARY, AUTISTIC SAVAGE; about a savant with preternatural martial arts skills and a penchant to supply his own sound effects. There was a book with an animated feel (the creator has worked for cartoon network and various others) about a demon hitting the dating scene, the tale of a gay Armadillo looking for acceptance, and one about a “hero” called THE MYSTIC EIGHTBALL, whose creator kept reading his dialogue in a very good Christopher Walken impersonation. There were others, including my story about my search for a story.

Was mine the best that night? Hells no! But, it’s mine, and I did it. I took one more baby step into the comics world. I shifted ever so slightly from comic reader to comic creator. My advice to you, dear reader, is if you get the chance to do one of these, do it.
    You’ll be glad you did.

Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 02:47 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. spyhawk824 Guest

sweet article

Sweet article dude even though you spelled my name wrong LOL.. That's cool though email me about that project you were telling me about and hopefully I'll see you around brother. If you need my email or anything else just ask you left the one I wrote for you at the shop.:cool:

3. MattGrant Guest

sweet. I've wanted to do one of these... I don't think my local shop does this though. I'll have to investigate further for next year!

4. TomLupo Guest

I AM VERY IMPRESSED SEBBY!!

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE!!!

Rick has posted most of the completed pages from 24 HOUR COMIC DAY as albums in the PICS section of FAMOUS FACES & FUNNIES' MYSPACE page.

Here's a link to my FULL 24 PAGE COMIC. So you can confirm I'm every bit as moronic as I claim to be!
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2398942

CAT. 5

6. StevenForbes Guest

Pretty funny stuff, Sebby. Good on ya!

I have about 5% artistic talent, so this isn't something I'd try myself. Would be a frustrating waste of time for me. It's obvious you have more than 5% of artistic talent. When it comes to writing fight scenes, there's no reason why you can't thumb it out first to make sure it works.

I could start singing "A Whole New World," but that would be pretty scary.

Again, good job!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, Forby!

I have 6% artistic talent!

CAT. 5

8. TomLupo Guest

THE OTHER 94% IS ALL GUMDROP!!!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

You know you love the gumdrop!

That should be your next tattoo!

CAT. 5

10. TomLupo Guest

NOT A BAD IDEA.........I'LL PUT IT NEXT TO MY NEW COTTON CANDY PIECE!!

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast