Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SEB-standard: Week 6 - Writing Comics

1. DavidPaul Guest

See? You already have an artist who believes in the work as much as you. *cue theme music* "You're gonna make it after all." As for your knowledge of Popeye that's cool. It seems a bit sad to me that with comics being as popular as they are today we have taken the history of the comic strip and relegated it to something unrelated, when in fact that's not the case at all. We shouldn't forget comic strips or the significance they've had, and we should pay respect to that which has given us the likes of Popeye.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan:
    My point is, write a kick ass story with kick ass characters and nobody will give a damn if your idea sounds a bit like some other schmuck's.
    But, dude, Mark Millar already wrote KICK-ASS, so that's been done too!

No, dude, you're right, and it doesn't bother me-bother me, but it does bother me, ya know?

I'm still goin' out there, and gonna write the most kick-ass story I can. I just wanted to vent. My column's rating have dropped as I ranted about Spidey and Raved about Avengers Initiative. Pointing out my own failings, however, has me back on an upswing!
    You know the phrase "I can't win for losing"?
    Apparently I can!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Neil "spyhawk",

Dude, your energy is contagious. I've been applying ointment, but it won't go away!

Seriously, I'm thrilled that your thrilled and you've given a new energy to this character to go with the face and look you whipped up!

Neil...you are the wind beneath my wings!

CAT. 5

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

David,

Having our "HEAVY METAL" columnist quote the MARY TYLER MOORE show theme was quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

Thank you, man! you rock!

And I'll never forget the comic strips man! The first comic books were simply collections of newspaper strips. They quite literally birthed the industry.

Still, if my wife's Veteran Grandfather spends all of Thanksgiving and Christmas re-telling how the army JEEP got it's name from the Jeep in POPEYE, or as he tells it "They named the thing after Popeye's dog", I may scream!

CAT. 5

5. spyhawk824 Guest

Dude your an awesome writer and a great guy, but if you ever refer to me as "the wind beneath my wings" again I'll kill ya LMAO

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

So this means I should change the credit box from the opening splash page so that it no longer reads Sebastian: Wings / Neil: Wind Beneath?

Well, from a comic project point of view, I would have been accurate in saying "you complete me", but I opted against it. :eek:

CAT. 5

7. spyhawk824 Guest

ROF LMAO.... I found some black and white photos that I took in Salem and Boston before I moved... their friggin perfect lots of colonials...and some with Ivy growing up the wall... also found the flintlock pistol and rifle I wanted.... just have to get used to drawing that hat lmao

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. I know the amount of detail you like to put into your buildings, Mr. Ooops I just spent 4 hours of 24 hour Comic Day working on Page 1, Panel 1!!!
    So I expect greatness!

As for the hat, Dude, you totally mastered it in sketch one! The hat was one of the reasons I fired myself as artist in the first place, and you totally rocked it. Well...as much as anyone NOT Johnny Depp can rock a tri-corner hat!

CAT. 5

9. MattGrant Guest

I can get to the point where I'm absolutely paranoid about my ideas being replicated. But the fact is, so many ideas fly around from so many people, the chances of many of them having similarities is high... especially when you start boiling things down to specific genres and what not.

I guess its easy to feel embarrassed about that sort of thing though, you don't want people to think that your idea is a knock off or whatever, but chances are, since you thought of it independently, there's plenty of things that make it all its own, and those things will probably ring true in the final product.

Probably the best thing to do is to not pay attention to the "other guy." Otherwise you'll be making your decisions based on that. Just let you ideas flow, and consider your own ideas your own.

I guarantee that even if you made sure your stuff was totally devoid of any similarities, you'll be sitting at a convention one day and some dude will look at your comic and say (hypothetically, not really for your specific comic) "Oh cool.... Its just like the Hurculoids!" And forever after that you'll only see that similarity in your story. So don't let it bug you.

10. RyanEldridge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    But, dude, Mark Millar already wrote KICK-ASS, so that's been done too!
    And now Mark Millar has yet another movie deal. The moral of this story: steal ideas from Mark Millar.

Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast