Thread: SEB-standard: Week 7 - Tri-County Comic Con

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard: Week 7 - Tri-County Comic Con

It's Wednesday kiddies...or it will be in 15 minutes...what can I say, I'm an enthusiastic young writer!

The meds help.

Anyway....

Don't you hate it when bad cons happen to good people?

Take for example the Tri County Comic Con in Orlando this past weekend. Even with the merging of two cons (Tampa's anime fest JANICON joined up) the turn out was still low they had about 600/700 per day.
    Surely the economy is a key factor. Anyone for a comic-bail-out package?

The good people I mentioned earlier are the creators and celebrities who made gracious appearances, only to sit bored at their booths all day.

The plus side...this meant I got to monopolize their time! Yay me!

In the weeks to come, I'll be posting interviews (possibly podcasts if we can find a way to sync my cheesy digital recorder to the site) with Ian Dorian from Spongeworx (my god, that man is talented!), Ghost Rider creator, Gary Freidrich; Actress/Voice Actress Lori Alan (Family Guy's Diane, Spongebob's Pearl, and Sue Storm of the 90's FF), and a shout out from the inimitable Mitch Hyman of Bubba the Redneck Werewolf fame.

I also got the invite to interview Angus Oblong, creator of, you guessed it, Cartoon Network's THE OBLONGS; artist extraordinaire Tommy Castillo; and (if I can get cleared with her agent) Rochelle Davis, who played Shelly in THE CROW film.

There were others, including SPACE GHOST (the coast-to-coast version) and Brak's Dad, George Lowe, who was nice (and funny) despite being sick and losing his voice.

It was a good bunch of creators, all with great stuff to show and discuss. But most of the crowd was there to buy a gazillion manga pins and wall scrolls.
    I got some cool stuff. Did you know that Scare Tactix Graphix sells a comic, a poster, and a t-shirt as a package deal all for $15!? And the shirt alone is worth more than that! My Tommy Castillo Headless Horsewoman T-shirt is one of my favorite new things to wear!
    Speaking of clothing...I picked up a great shirt with a Grouch Moarx quote from aardvarktees.com (they were at the show), but failed (in my infinite stupidity) to catch the faint word "youth" below the bold word LARGE on the tag. I couldn't fit in this short if I had all my organs removed. If you know anybody over at aardvark, ask if they can exchange it for me!

I'm not sure as to the purpose of belly dancers, well...almost burlesque dancers, at a comic con other than to entice dorks, but it was odd. Several of the show's guests and I were discussing this topic at length. The over all consensus was that anywhere else we would have enjoyed the dancers (and this was NOT just guys talking) but then and there, it just seemed odd somehow. Creators and stars were faced with empty panel rooms. There was some grumbling. But, I gotta tell ya, through it all they were more than cheerful to the fans who did show. Possibly more so in fact, as we were that much more important, and were able to hog some serious one-on-one time with them. In just a few hours I was talking with people as if I'd known them for years. Ian Dorian, artist, sculptor, dreamer for Spongeworx was extremely amiable, he'd talk and listen, and his enthusiasm was contagious! Gary Freidrich, Ghost Rider's creator, was more than happy to take a walk and discuss the comic industry of the 60s and 70s, his battle with The Comics Code Authority over Ghost Rider's demonic origins, and his surprise/delight in the character's success (even if he agrees that the GR movie wasn't so "hot").

But regardless, the con was fun for me, the talkative press guy, who got in free and had the celebs to himself. I just hope these great people were able to make enough money for it to have been worth their while.

Click the thumbnails below for a better look at my day!
    Attached Thumbnails TCC.jpg   TCC1.jpg   TCC2.jpg   TCC3.jpg   Ian Dorian.jpg   Gary Fredreich.jpg   Lori Alan.jpg   Mitch Hyman.jpg  
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. StevenForbes Guest

Nice one, Seb!

You get all the cool stuff...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Forby...mine is the sweet life!

It was a better than great time at a less than good con!
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

CAT. 5

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to point out, a few things.

1 - It's mideterms time (and holiday time) around the old school so I STILL haven't gotten the time to transcribe the three interviews and one shout-out that i have on my digital voice recorder from the con.

and

2 - There seems to be some confusion as to what I mean by phrases like "when bad cons happen to good people" and what not.

Let me explain. I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting that the Con itself, nor those responsible for the con are "bad" people. bad people dont host comic cons, they rip comics up and tell you to comics rot your mind.

I am only saying that the con had a low turnout, which, as I suggested above, is a sign of the economic hardship the country is in. When banks and car companies are going belly-up, there tends to be a little less cash for comics and wall scrolls.
    The "good" people include the producers, hosts, and setter-uppers of the con, who suffered the "bad" con of lower than hoped crowds.
    The Tri-county crew took on a tremendous undertaking in helping keep the flailing Janicon afloat, and should be commended for their efforts.

I stand by the oddness of bellydancers. It's just wierd in general and weirder at a comiccon. Not unpleasant to look at, but weird nonetheless.
    One of the women I work with is a bellydancer, and she's weird, so it's sort of a universal of bellydancers, I think.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure that was clear.

CAT. 5