Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your road to Comic Geekdom

1. Jbreeny Guest

I can't remember the first comic book issue I ever read was but I remember the series. It was the Marvel UK Transformers series and it was my eldest brothers comic, from that moment onward I read everything he bought, from X-Men to Superman and everything in between. Unfortunately for me by eldest brother is 8 years older than me so as soon as he hit around 18 years old he stopped reading comics and unfortuantely for me my parents couldn't really afford to buy me any comics regularly like they did for my eldest brothers because when he was a child they only had him and now they had 4 children to look after. I still got bought the odd book for my birthday and that but nothing I would call regular at all. After that I kind of faded away from actual comics, I still watched all the comic related characters on the tv and in the movies(even the Spawn film)

What got me back into comics though was Angel the tv series. I loved that show and when it got cancelled I was pretty bummed out but soon after I heard they were continuing the story in comic book form and I picked that up and loved it. And quickly from then on I started to pick up as many comics as I could, I picked up comics from both Marvel and DC as well as other independant titles I liked the look of.

As for what my collection is. I think of right now I might have around 500 or 600 single issues all together and maybe around 50ish TPB. Unfortunately when I was a child my childhood home caught fire and we lost all of the old Simon Furman Marvel UK Transformers comics and all the other comics my eldest brother had collected.

2. Cary Guest

As to how I got into comics, my parents divorced when I was 4 years old, and my dad was left taking me with him on job sites. He was an electrician and I generally had to sit in the truck all day otherwise I'd be in all manner of trouble around those industrial sites, so we'd stop every morning and grab comics at the local drug store (remember those? They had bad ass milkshakes too!) As I got older I got more comics and when I found out that the only comic book store in 200 miles was on the way to work most days...that was a wrap. When I was about 8, and already had a few thousand comics in my collection we were cleaning out an area of our barn where my uncle had left a bunch of his stuff before joining the Marines during Viet Nam. Among these things were two huge boxes of Silver age comics from when he was a kid, all in excellent condition despite being sequestered in an old dusty barn for several decades. Books like Batman in the 60s and 70s numbers, the first 60 or so Spiderman issues, the first 50 X-men, and so on. Early Superman, Legion of SH, Hawkman, Flash, and all the Sgt Rock stuff a kid could ever want. That's where I fell in love with the Flash and Teen Titans, and I've been a fan of those books ever since.

Over the course of 35 years or more as a comic fan I managed at one point to amass more than ten thousand comics, but after a couple of ex wives that number dropped down to about 6k or so, and stayed there pretty much until 2007 when I sold ever comic I owned to finance making my own comics. Since then I buy a few, read them, and then give em away. I sent a couple thousand comics over to the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan a few months back, and gave about four long boxes worth to a couple of kids who live nearby via Craigslist. I think the collector in me is just about dead, but the reader and the fan will never be gone. I love comics too much.

First comic I remember reading? A Neal Adams Batman, but I couldn't tell you the issue number. The Riddler had Robin and Batgirl captive, that's about all I remember. Other early books included Moonknight and Rom. They were both in the same stack, bought at the same time. Those books kicked ass.

3. trusty Guest

Here's how I got into comics:

I have always been a fan of superheroes since I was a kid. I watched the old cartoons, I bought the toys, I watched the older movies...the whole shabang. The only thing I did not do was actually read comics. Part of the reason was I had no desire to just because and that I got my toys and such from Toys R Us it's not like my parents took me to a comic shop or anything.

I know that plenty dislike Jim Lee for different reasons--some I feel to be more valid than others--but when I saw the Batman comics my older brother was reading I got interested. I also know that there are those who are not a fan of Hush but that is the storyline and art that brought me into comics. After reading all of Hush, I focused on Batman for a few months reading older stories that were greatly recommended and that I was curious about.

Slowly but surely I started to grow interest in other characters DC had to offer and Marvel just never piqued my interest past liking some of their characters. I enjoyed learning the entirety of the DCU more and more and read a lot of older stories in a short amount of time. This all started 6 years ago, and I've read so many current and old and VERY old stuff that sometimes I know more about characters than people who have been reading comics for MUCH longer than myself.

4. CJFinnegan Guest

The first comic I ever read was an issue of Lois Lane, which was godawful, that my fifth grade teacher had in what she called a "Rainy Day Box". The first one I ever bought was Shazam # 22, an all-reprint issue.

5. UCLGeogPhD Guest

Settling the eternal argument of who'd win a fight between Batman and Superman. Had to prove that I felt Batman was infinitely cooler than Superman so trawled the comics to find proof that Batman is 'The Man'. Which I did. Then essentially got into reading Nightwing and went from there.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UCLGeogPhD View Post
    Settling the eternal argument of who'd win a fight between Batman and Superman. Had to prove that I felt Batman was infinitely cooler than Superman so trawled the comics to find proof that Batman is 'The Man'. Which I did. Then essentially got into reading Nightwing and went from there.
    So what was your rationale then with this? I'm curious what you found

7. Jehoe Guest

I first got into comics thanks to my dad, he collected them as a kid in the 60s. When i was a kid he bought me some spiderman comics that they sold in cornershops in britain. I was hooked from then. The first comic i remember buying was Xmen. I been collected comics for years, as will do so til i die.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoe View Post
    I first got into comics thanks to my dad, he collected them as a kid in the 60s. When i was a kid he bought me some spiderman comics that they sold in cornershops in britain. I was hooked from then. The first comic i remember buying was Xmen. I been collected comics for years, as will do so til i die.
    I really wish I had a history like this. I used to read comics as a kid, but it was pretty scarce. I'd get some but not a lot. So it was really only recent years I got back into it - and honestly up until a 1-2 years ago I was mostly reading indie stuff (we often get review stuff so it was just easy for me to open up my email and read a great story). I wish I had a history like so many of the people here.

9. Capta Guest

I read my first Comic wayyy back in 1965(I was 6...man, I'm dating myself!), I believe. My friend next door brought over a couple of early Batman Comics. I was hooked. Then on Tuesday he took me to a corner Grocery store after school and the gentleman behind the counter saw us and pulled out a huge stack of the weeks Comics. There were two copies of each book and I remember getting a Captain America and Fantastic Four. Took them home and devoured them. I was hooked ever since!

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2