Thread: SEB-standard: Week 9 - Whatever

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard: Week 9 - Whatever

Hey world, it's time for the latest SEBstandard, and I'm just gonna touch on a few semi-random thoughts for this week.

GYAHH First, it's been one of THOSE weeks. I got a call at work the other day from my daughter's daycare. Apparently, my 2 year old took a tumble off the jungle-gym in their playground. So someone may be getting a cast for Christmas. We're still waiting for the radiolgy report on the X-rays. So my wife took off the last two days to stay home with her, and I'm handling tomorrow and Friday. Hence the rushed column this week.

Writing I've actually managed to get 14 pages of rewrite done (my 3rd rewrite) on the Revolutionary War script I've been talking about. Better, i've gotten 13 of the 14 pages to my artist, so, technically, I guess we can describe the book as being "In Production". Woo-hoo!

More about writingThe thing about writing is, it's like speaking only it isn't. The good thing about writing vs. speaking is that you can always change what you wrote. The spoken word can not be taken back. The bad thing about writing vs. speaking is, you can always change what you wrote. Editing = good. Rewrites = good. Constantly rewriting can be detrimental to your story. Like I tell my students about their essays, there is NO SUCH THING as PERFECT writing. It can always be changed, fixed, added to, taken away from, tweaked, altered, adjusted, or otherwise edited. Knowing when to keep fixing is only half the problem. You also have to know when to stop. Sometimes, the onlything that haults the rewriting is a deadline. Just food for thought.

TERRY MOORE'S ECHO Freaking fantastic book. Probably one of the best comics that you're not reading. The art is great. The story is great. The characters are real, complete people, with very identifiable personas. And, it's the only book I can think of, where the main character ends up topless nearly EVERY ISSUE, but never in a gratuitous or "naughty" kind of way. Pick this up, or get the trade. you'll love it.

BOOM! STUDIOS if I had to pick my favorite publisher, right here, right now, it would be BOOM! First, they have an exclamation point in their name! How great is that!!?? Second, every book they put out is worth reading. They really are putting out some great quality stuff.

FLAMEBIRD & NIGHTWING I so SOOOOoooooo want the "new" versions of the original versions of FLAMEBIRD & NIGHTWING (the kryptonian pair) to be Linda Danvers and KON-EL, but I so SOOOOoooo know that I'm gonna be disappointed.

DARK REIGN What is wrong with the world when NORMAN OSBORN is so much more of an interseting character than Spiderman!!?? I'm thinking Dark Reign has much potential. Granted, I thought that at the beginning of CIVIL WAR and SECRET INVASION, and yet both kinda fizzled to their ends, so who knows? Years of undercover work, and in ten pages, all the Skrulls are defeated? No way, man!

VALIANT three of the greatest things to come out this year are the HARBINGER, X-O: MANOWAR, and ARCHER & ARMSTRONG hardcovers!!! Those books were great when they came out in the 90s, and they more than hold up today! Bring on more! Start some new stuff! Make mine VALIANT!

ETHAN VAN SCIVER EVS' new column "Your Time is now Mine" on Newsarama is the funniest thing since Monty Python's Flying Circus! That guy is hysterical! Too funny!

Geoff Johns Johns is leaving JSA. This worries me more than any book Johns has ever left. JSA has such theoretically cool characters, but it takes a very VERY special hand to make them work. I'm fear for the JSA. And i feel for the poor S.O.B. whom the powers that be will assign the task of replacing Geoff. Talk about fan pressure leading to performance anxiety! I hope comic fans (myself included) give the new team a fair shake.

Filler Columns Don't you just hate those? When a columnist has nothing much to say and just tries to free form it. Especially when he keeps falling asleep while typing, only to look up the nonsense his sleeping minds has typed, only to erase it and replace it with something inane?

Ok, I'll let you go with these words.....

...Goodbye and goodnight!
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Friday, December 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. MattGrant Guest

New Krypton - Need to catch up. Going to the shop to pick up my pull this weekend.. Can't wait. This has been a great crossover so far.

Valiant - Man, Valiant was cool-- they actually were successful based on their own merit in a time where all the other companies were coming out with "special issues" with foil-holographic-die-cut-poly-bagged-with-seven-different-cards-alternate-puzzle-forming covers (crap! can't open it? good thing, no story in there!). So go them. I dug X-O quite a bit actually...

EVS's column rivals Keith Giffen's-- but I think its more frequent... so.... maybe it has the edge?

I predict a JSA fizzle out after johns leaves. Possible re-boot. On or the other will involve a major cross-over.

I'd like to see a really good Power Girl book. Aren't they doing one? Is it any good? There's a lot of potential with her.

Love filler columns. Thank you!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, thanks for the input!

X-O was great! I loved Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong, myself. And Rai. I want a Rai hardcover!!

I'm lovin' New Krypton, even if they fianlly salvaged Supergirl's character, only to push the same unlikeable qualities onto Alura Zor-EL, instead.

Yeah, I have my worries for a post Johns JSA.

And technically, ALL my columns are filler columns, but some of them show it more than others!

CAT. 5

4. Gonzogoose Guest

I've yet to read any of the new Krypton stuff, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Boom is good, but you should also check out Ape Entertainment. I haven't read anything I dislike from them yet.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm diggin' APE's stuff too. And I'm very VERY happy with what RADICAL is putting out. They've got some quality stuff over there.

CAT. 5