Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comics Are For People #6 (Pricey DVD Adventures!)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope you're right. LMoE 1964. Omega Man 1971. Me 1972. I was Soooooo close!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. StevenForbes Guest

Nope. Omega Man is '71, and The Last Man on Earth is '64.

Not to mention one is color, the other is b/w, and different production values, they even "sound" differently. Movies from the 50s and 60s have a certain sound to the dialogue that was lost in the 70s, as we became more technologically savvy.

Listen to a movie like The Thing From Another World, or truly listen to The Last Man on Earth. Listen as they talk about science. Most sci-fi movies of the time sounded like that. That was untrue of the 70s.

Yeah, I'm only a little bit of a movie buff/geek.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

My students just watched the birds. I had to explain to them how the moie created tension with silence. They wanted to know where the soundtrack was. I took some time out to explain that they are too used to the "horror" of today, where things just jump out at you left and right. I told them, that's why in today's films you always have all those false starts, it's a cat, it's the wind, it's the boyfriend and THEN it's the baddie. They know you expect the jump-out, so they get you used to it being nothing.
    Older films didn't rely as much on the jump out.

I also explained that todays soundtracks are often just product placement, and back then a score was just that. No music vidoe tie ins back in the day, yo!

personally, I've always loved the lack of silence in old movie silences. You know, the pop and hiss of old film that films "silent" moments.
    I love that.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2