Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recomendations

1. Jbreeny Guest

Recommendations

So lately I decided to venture outside my comfort zone on what I read. I grew up on my convential superheroes such as Superman and Batman so naturally when I got into the actual comics I gravitated to their books, which the odd exceptions being Hellblazer and a few others.

So anyway my point is that I decided to try out new books away from the convential superhero genre. I have heard good things about Lone Ranger from the podcast so I plan on picking that up. I am also giving Locke and Key and CVO from IDW a try aswell as Joe Hill's The Cape mini-series.

So basically I just want to get some recommendations from people on some books I could try out.
    Last edited by Jbreeny; Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I've said it a lot, but Walking Dead is worth a read for sure. I know it's mainstream (which sounds like you didn't want but I'll say it anyway) - FF is good right now.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I also know JS was suggestion Chew for awhile.

4. Woodchuck Guest

For non-superhero fare, I recommend:

Scalped
    Northlanders
    Chew
    Criminal (from Marvel)
    Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)

5. Jbreeny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJondrew View Post
    I know I've said it a lot, but Walking Dead is worth a read for sure. I know it's mainstream (which sounds like you didn't want but I'll say it anyway) - FF is good right now.
    Already one step ahead of you right now lol Been reading Walking Dead for a while, I think its a great book.

6. UCLGeogPhD Guest

I personally think if you're up for a laugh and don't see it as blasphemy (I could see some would take issue to it), that Kirkman's Battle Pope is a good little read. Its got guns, girls, monsters, explosions, demons and the catholic holy father kickin' ass.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbreeny View Post
    Already one step ahead of you right now lol Been reading Walking Dead for a while, I think its a great book.
    What issue are you up to? It took me awhile to catch up but I power-read most of it in two seperate phases

Quote Originally Posted by UCLGeogPhD View Post
    I personally think if you're up for a laugh and don't see it as blasphemy (I could see some would take issue to it), that Kirkman's Battle Pope is a good little read. Its got guns, girls, monsters, explosions, demons and the catholic holy father kickin' ass.
    Hahaha - sounds interesting! I think that someone might have mentioned this on the podcast sometime, but I could be wrong.

8. JeffHaas Guest

i would recommend Atomic Robo, Days Missing and Fallen Angel

9. Jbreeny Guest

What issue are you up to? It took me awhile to catch up but I power-read most of it in two seperate phases
    I'm up to date on it, I power read right through it too. However now I have found that I prefer reading it as trades and not as single issues.

10. UCLGeogPhD Guest

Hahaha - sounds interesting! I think that someone might have mentioned this on the podcast sometime, but I could be wrong.
    OMG.... I've just found out SpikeTV made a few Battle Pope shorts a few years ago. Don't know how this got by me, although i suspect not getting spiketv in the UK is probably the reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85DJjyDWl5s

There is even more on the spike tv site too. Its pretty close to the comic too

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast