Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: an outsider{NOW} looking in.

1. TomLupo Guest

an outsider{NOW} looking in.

so i starting reading comics again about 20 years ago.....i was compelled by the flash tv series. i fell back in love with the old characters i had liked and found new ones....lobo.....guy.....venom...etc. back then i would get my kicks out of letter pages, previews, and even wizard. i stood with my favorite characters through the shit years...spidey-clone......daredevil armor.......azrael batman.....but i didn't stop. it is a sick addiction.
    i bought a cumputor about 10 years ago and was able to talk about comics with anyone on a mb from no matter where they was from. all joking aside about my early dw years...i did love talkin' about comics. it culminated with me actually workin' in the biz......and that was what made slowly start to not like a lot of different books i used too and stop buyin' them.....hell i could read any new comic for free. then the writing got bad....real bad
    i got to see the part of the industry i didn't like....the inside info on the money end of things.....the blood sucking marvel variants.... then i saw new comics sales drop.......old comics from the last 20 years have no more value. the recession hit.....so did digital living......ya know, our devices.
    so i stopped buying new marvel last year...and then dc this year...hell i have a friggin' library of comics. yet the point of this thread is that i still spend many hours on-line reading about new comics.....and nothing really interessts me. there are a few books i wanna read the end of, like the boys walking dead, secret six, gl and the flash.....but i'm in no rush.
    so all the years spent investing my money, time, and parading for was in naught. i have watched an industry that has meant alot to me just implode over bad editorial decissions.....writers that take forever to tell a story......joe queersada.....artistic delays.........greed......joe queersada........pain staking events......renumbering....joe queersada.........all in all its like they spit on us. saying reboots are needed to keep a character fresh.......its money trying to be made from a shrinkin' fanbase......i never felt as horrible about new comics ever.....when i first quit it was because of sex, drugs, and heavy metal. not the comics themselves.

now i'm sure i would still be reading some of the characters i love...but why??? the best stories was already told by peeps who really cared about their comics.....they didn't get mcfarlane or bendis' money.
    IMAGE UNITED IS STILL DELAYED....NOT THAT I WOULD BUY IT...BUT THIS SHOWS THE ATTITUDE OF THE FUCKIN' MORONS RUNNIN' THE INDUSTRY NOW!!

well, except i can still write about the old shit i like....

2. Thanks thanked for this post
    Likes liked this post
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Its funny you post this Tom. On the latest podcast (which will come out soon) I brought up that there are a few members who no longer read based strictly on content..... this brings a lot of insights into why the industry may be dying and I think you've made some really good points.

4. TomLupo Guest

here i am...the most comic book knowledged person here.............i should be hosting that show,,,

5. JeffHaas Guest

another possibility is the big two's lack of effort in recruiting new writing talent. Things have gotten stale.

6. TomLupo Guest

DID I MENTION JOE QUEERSADA....??

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomLupo View Post
    here i am...the most comic book knowledged person here.............i should be hosting that show,,,
    Yeah you are very knowlegable. We love having you on as a guest, and would like to have you back again soon if you want to - and hopefully with ANOTHER installment of your silver age reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHaas View Post
    another possibility is the big two's lack of effort in recruiting new writing talent. Things have gotten stale.
    Well it seems like the same big names are pushed down our throat which pretty much says it all.

8. CJFinnegan Guest

I traded American comics for manga in 2000, and except of Justice, Jeff Smith's Monster Society, an Anita Blake GN, and a Dresden Files GN, I haven't looked back.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I should start checking out some manga. Jason's told me a few times there's some good stuff out there.

10. Slither Guest

I am totally with Tom here. I stopped reading because I couldn't afford them. now that I could buy a few books, what I've seen and heard about makes me sick. And they wanna charge me $3 to $4 for this?!?!?

While I HATE Joe Quesada and what he's done to Marvel, he's NOT alone. DC and Didio, along with his pets, Morrisson and Johns, are RUINING not only DC, but dragging some truly classic characters through the bloodied mud they created before saying "things are stale and dull" and then rebooting the DCU, along with cheesy costumes Lee designede that MIGHT have been good in the 80s/90s, but are now just cheesy.

Who do I blame? The editors of the big two and the tight wallets of their owners.

Those two sources forced Image to be ctreated. That led to these "rock star writers and artists" thinking THEY were more important than the readers and the characters they were paid to work on. Bidding wars over these "talented" folk ensued, leading to exclusive contracts. And what was ignored? Quality storytelling that MADE SENSE and folloowed the character development of decades.

Then, when things got ugly, it was reboots, realunches, and the same shit under a "NEW!" title.

Factor in that the trend is to push the ,imits more and more in comics and the idea seems to be to go for shock and gore over a good story.

So, I read the old books. I'll take some of Stan's occcasional goofy, maudlin melodrama over what is being peddled as quality storytelling these days.

FUCK YOU, QUESDA!

FUCK YOU, DIDO!

And FUCK your EMPLOYERS, too!

And take these whiny babies you call talent and FIRE THEM ALL!

11. Jamesdlogan Guest

I agree with Slither...I think there was an attitude at one point that big name writers and artists were the best way to bring in a new group of readers. The thought was that people who read novels by writers like Rucka and Meltzer would read comics that they wrote. Or take writers like Bendis and Morrison who had popular non-mainstream comics and put them in the mainstream to bring in all those readers of their comics. But then they gave them more leeway than they did the writers who had faithfully worked for the companies for so long. They had writers who knew the characters and knew how to write those characters, even with extreme editorial oversight. Imagine what some of these writers could have done with free reign on these titles. Look at what happened when Chris Claremont took over on the X-Men. He was given free reign, and ended up creating one of the most popular comics of all time. Then editorial stepped in and started dictating storylines. This was the beginning of the problems...editorial is there to make sure that the book is acceptable, and make SUGGESTIONS for things that might improve the books...but they should not be dictating storylines and forcing writers to write a particular way. This caused them to lose good writers and caused a great loss in readership as well. If you look at some of todays most critically acclaimed books, they are the independent books where the writer has full control over what they write.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast