Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NETFLIX GETS NEW NAME TO GO WITH NEW POLICY!

1. Woodchuck Guest

My thoughts -

1. Netflix has a history of screwing over customers. They used to "throttle" customers, meaning if you rented more movies in a month, you would see your returns processing slow down, new discs would take longer to ship, and you wouldn't have access to newer movies first. One gentleman had two accounts in his house, one that paid more and therefore got more discs, and one that paid less and rented less. Things that listed as "very long wait" for his more expensive account were shipped immediately to the cheaper account. This was in direct violation of their own marketing campaign and terms of service (that whole "in about one business day" nonsense). And the only reason they stopped it (or rather, changed their ToS to be realisticly reflect it) was because they were sued, not because it was the "right thing to do". I was throttled for YEARS. It's gotten better in recent years as they've increased the numbers of processing centers.

2. Price increase - it's the 2nd in a year, but it still fits my budget. I'm not going to Blockbuster (I worked for them and fucking HATE them and everything they stand for and take great delight in watching a competitor run them about of business as they did so many others) and Hulu doesn't stream to my Blu-Ray player. I still use Redbox if I'm between movies. But there's really no alternative out there that does both discs and streaming.

3. Streaming focus - The reason for the increase, I've heard different things. I know Netflix has been trying to move away from DVDs. In fact, 2 weeks ago was the first time Netflix admitted that people ACTUALLY STILL WANTED DVDs, which is something they have poo-pooed in the past repeatedly. There are multiple problems with this: 1.) their streaming content is nowhere near equal to their DVD content. Some channels like Showtime has been pulling streaming content for their current shows (like Dexter or Californication), not increasing their content; 2.) as much as we all hate to think about it, I do believe that bandwidth caps are going to become more prevalent from internet service providers (if they're able to make it fly with cellphones, they'll try it on the internet, too). Once that happens, streaming users will drop because the service won't be convenient for them. And that's all with the given that Netflix supposedly takes up 30% of the inbound internet usage in some markets already. So I think the price increase is to keep up with their DVD library and infrastructure, not streaming. I don't think the studios are going to take Netflix to the cleaner because they are realizing revenue that they have very little opportunity to realize somewhere else (also, the movie industry is notorious for sticking to old business paradigms, even if the paradigm is a sinking ship. see also: Blockbuster).

2. TomLupo Guest

its a whole new way to earn.....bastards!!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

So there's a few things I've heard recently and I thought I'd refelct. The first one is that a lot of this price hike apparently has to do with reflecting on the licensing they get charged. Apparently Netflixs old licensing rate was basically peanuts for what they got as when the agreements were signed a lot of the companies laughed at the idea of netflix and thought they'd never take off. When it came to renewal Netflix was doing well and thus they were charged WAY WAY more.

The second has to do with people I've talked to in the US and their netflix usage. I've personally found a mixutre of people sticking with their netflix plan and paying more, people downgrading to the a lower priced plan and people cancelling all together. One person I spoke to said they they realized they can go from Streaming + 3 discs just down to Streaming. My suggestion is to have a look at your rental history if you have it and see if you can shave it down a bit.

Eiether way, best of luck in savig money folks. I hope you can

4. TomLupo Guest

there is a library a block away from my house......dvd's are free for a week.
    thats saving money!!

5. Flyattractor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TomLupo View Post
    its a whole new way to earn.....bastards!!
    No. I am pretty sure that skrewing over people is a tried and true method of money making that has been around a long long looooonnnnggg time.

And you only hang out at the library to oogle at old microfeesh babes.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomLupo View Post
    there is a library a block away from my house......dvd's are free for a week.
    thats saving money!!
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't know that my local library has DVDs. That being siad - I rarely go get them from there. Too much of a process to order them, etc. When I want to watch a movie I want to watch it like right then

7. TomLupo Guest

I WALK UP THE BLOCK......LOOK AT THE DVDS FOR 15 MINUTES....PICK OUT A FEW......GO HOME AND WATCH THEM. SORRY IF THAT SOUNDS OLD FASHION. I MOSTLY WATCH OLDER MOVIES.

8. Flyattractor Guest

Thats about the one thing I like about NF. I don't hardly watch any new or current flicks.
    Its all old tv shows,and those off the wall movies and such.
    Thats where the streaming comes in nice.
    I will see some old piece of schlock movie that aint worth a rent or waiting on a dvd for but its good enough to have it playing in the back ground when I am doing something else.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I wish netflix canada had more new selection, but I've come across some great old movies because of its current selection

10. Jamesdlogan Guest

I have to say though...I am enjoying the current Marvel partnership with Netflix....my kids and I are loving the Marvel Cartoons...especially the new Avengers series that we haven't been able to see before.

Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast