Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DCnU, the new 52, and YOU - What will you be checking out?

1. trusty Guest

Though for discussion purposes I'll give a run down as to the "why" for each book I plan to get:

Aquaman is a book I plan on getting because I'm probably one of the biggest Aquaman fans in the multiverse.

Justice League because of the roster (overall not just Aquaman being back there but that is a HUGE plus), I'm a fan of Geoff Johns' work (though I recognize when he isn't at his best within an issue whether it be a concept, character, etc but I really like him as a writer), and then Jim Lee. I love Jim Lee. I can understand why some people--usually they are artistically skilled--can get annoyed with different things about his art whether it's the faces of characters looking too similar or something but I've always wanted a book of either JLA or Aquaman with Lee's art. And here we are.

Savage Hawkman because I'm a fan of Hawkman. I haven't read all of his printed material and appearances like I practically have with Aquaman, but man did Johns make me fall in love with the character when he was writing his latest series. And then I enjoyed it when Johns left but as soon as OYL came around and it changed to only Hawkgirl I really couldn't have cared less about the book. So I'm happy to see it being Hawkman centered.

Justice League Dark is something that I'm getting moreso because I want to know the true state of magic in the DCU. I LOVE much of the magical history in the DCU. Overall I am not psyched for the current known roster of JLDark...but I'm looking forward to the magical villains and possible additions to the roster and roster change ups.

Demon Knights is a book that didn't take my appeal at all when I first saw it. But when it made mention in I think the solicit for issue 2--or maybe I just finally read the solicit for issue 1 this time--I was intrigued that there would be new medieval heroes and I love medieval stuff.

O.M.A.C. was also a book that didn't take appeal with me but I didn't read the solicits at first. I LOVED Rucka's Checkmate run--omg it has to be one of the best things he has written within the DCU for me--and Checkmate is going to be involved in that book. All we know is that Maxwell Lord is in charge again so I'm HOPING that the Checkmate is comprised of the same whole "rule of two" thing from Rucka's run.

Grifter is a book that I want to get out of pure curiosity. I never delved into the Wildstorm comics and universe although before I read comics I was more than familiar with WILDCATs from either toys or I think they had a show or something...him being brought into the true DCU cannon now makes me more curious. I've heard that there is some good WILDCATs stuff from years ago but atm I'm still delving into Vertigo books so won't go into the Wildstorm stuff just yet. So this is the closest I will get for the time being.

Nightwing is a title I've wanted to get into, but never reading a Nightwing comic before...it was actually a book that scared me because I didn't know anything about him outside of my childhood with cartoons, and his cameos in other books. I'm the type of person that when it comes to individual character books that I sometimes like to know EVERYTHING about them from important story moments to villains and I just never knew anything truly about Nightwing. So with this being a relaunch--even though the Batverse of the DCU seems to be least affected--it makes it easier for me to jump on.

Red Hood and the Outlaws is a book I'm actually somewhat skeptical about because while I love Jason Todd since Winnick beautifully wrote his return--but yea, the whole Superboy-Prime reality punch thing IS dumb--I have only enjoyed the character when written by Winnick. Plus I don't get why Arsenal and Starfire are on his "side". So I'm curious but skeptical about this book enough to want to check it out.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate the fact they're rebooting titles, I have to admit that this is shaping up to be a brilliant business strategy. We've just seen several examples in this thread alone of people (including myself) who are going to get suckered into trying out titles they probably won't end up keeping

3. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJondrew View Post
    As much as I hate the fact they're rebooting titles, I have to admit that this is shaping up to be a brilliant business strategy. We've just seen several examples in this thread alone of people (including myself) who are going to get suckered into trying out titles they probably won't end up keeping
    I fully expect that most of the books I am most interested in are the ones that are probably the least likely to stick around for very long....

4. TomLupo Guest

ya know....i am not against this as much as was at first....the more i read about this the more it intriges me.

5. Flyattractor Guest

Hopefully it wont be as bad as some of the shite that Marvel is dishing out in the Fear Itself books.

The Ghost Rider one was pure tripe.

6. TomLupo Guest

MARVEL HAS SUCKED EVER SINCE SECRET INVASION.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say - if it can get people like Tom back in comics, it might end up being a SORT OF good thing.... that being said - Superman doesn't wear jeans.

8. Flyattractor Guest

Yeah. The new Supes looks all Gawd Awful on the Ghey scale.

9. Woodchuck Guest

Here's what I'm looking at now:

Batwoman - I was planning on picking this one up when it was originally announced

Action Comics - because of Grant Morrison, but I won't hang around long if it's not worth it

Demon Knights - I like Paul Cornell, so I'm interested to see what he does with this

OMAC - because this is classic goofy Jack Kirby; I'm interested to see what they do with it (I imagine this may be one of the first series cancelled due to low sales)

Hawk & Dove - just to spite all the Liefeld haters and, many moons ago, my brother was a huge Hawk and Dove fan on Liefeld's first go-round on the property, so I'm helping subsidize his fanboy wet dreams (though he is disappointed that Karl Kesel isn't along for the ride).

And I might pick up the Frankenstein book, too.

10. TomLupo Guest

more and more i'm likin' this.
    i have the original run of resurection man...it was really good....thats a maybe..

Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast