Page 1 of 20
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Hughes Colors Thread

1. RHughes Guest

Ross Hughes Colors Thread

Hi, my name is Ross Hughes. I caught the Fallen Justice review and thought I should introduce myself to the rest of the community here. I'm a part time freelance digital colorist. I hope to talk to and work with you all in the near future.

Here are a few pics to get everyone started, and I'll update as we go along.

Lines by Jeff Welborn

Some Fallen Justice work:

Cover A to issue #6

Lines by Harold Edge

...and Cover B to issue #6

Cover for Totem

Lines by Harold Edge

Some random stuff:

Lines by Jose Jaro

Lines by Carlos Gomez

Lines by Maricio Takara

Pencils by Adam Hughes
    Inks by Tim Townsend

Pencils by Justin Copeland

I guess that will do for now. I'll be back to post more later on.

- Ross

2. StevenForbes Guest

Beautiful, Ross. Simply beautiful.

Have you tried digital painting yet?

3. RHughes Guest

Not really. I've fooled around with Painter a bit, but I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet. One of these days, I'll spend some time on it.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's some Gorgeous stuff! I love how delicately you colored the robot chick & Butterfly pic.

They all look great though.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

5. pieface Guest

hey Rob, dont suppose youre on deviantart at all are you? i've tried the whole colouring other peoples lineart but i dont really have the photoshop skills for the colouring.. any advice/tricks or tips? i can do simple cell shading style colours but it never looks as good..

cheers

6. Cary Guest

it's Ross, and yeah he gas a DA account. check it out:

http://thebdc.deviantart.com/gallery/

7. RHughes Guest

POTO Masquerade Ball

I had this drawing commissioned for my wife's birthday. I ended up staying up all night to get the colors done in time, but it's totally worth it for how much she's going to love this.

Happy Birthday, honey!!!!

Pencils by Carlos Gomez
    Inks by Julien Hugonnard

p.s. I'm hit and running right now, but I'll be back to answer your question, Pieface.

8. RHughes Guest

HAHA. This is a worthless post because I need at least 5 posts before I can post a URL.

Just so it's not totally worthless I'll tell a joke:

An elderly couple were attending church one Sunday. About halfway through, the wife turns to her husband and says, "I just let out a silent fart, what should I do?"

The husband replies, "Put a new battery in your hearing aid."

9. RHughes Guest

Now, onto business....

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    hey Rob, dont suppose youre on deviantart at all are you? i've tried the whole colouring other peoples lineart but i dont really have the photoshop skills for the colouring.. any advice/tricks or tips? i can do simple cell shading style colours but it never looks as good..

cheers
    Alright, I got some sleep, so I feel a little better now.

To answer your question, yes I do have a DA account. Cary posted the link above, but here it is again. (Can never have too much exposure, right?) The Official Ross Hughes Deviant Art Page

I didn't have any Photoshop skills either. I always wanted to be a penciller when I was growing up, but life took me another direction and I had to give up on that. I ended up deciding to try my hand at coloring because I had seen someone else post a pic they were coloring of the cover to JLA/Avengers #3 (?). The big spread with all the characters done by the incomparable George Perez. Inspiration hit and I was off to try it myself.

My first pic was.....well....let's just say, it wasn't the best.

*shudders*

I didn't get much better with my second piece. Or my third. Or my fourth. Or my...well....you get the point.

The bottom line is that I stuck with it because it was something I really enjoyed doing. So if you enjoy it too, stick with it. Skill comes with practice. I'm not anywhere near where I want to be, but I'm a heck of a lot better than I was when I got started. You'll get there too if you keep at it.

I've got a couple of tutorials that I put together for coloring that I'll dig up and post, but their pretty high level to cover the basics. (Which was pretty much all I knew at the time I wrote them.) Aside from that all I can tell you is to practice and study other people's art. Try to figure out how they set things up and did what they did. The apply that to the things that you want to do.

Also, you might check out a couple books. These and the forthcoming book by Laura Martin (entitled: Telling Stories With Color) are what I would consider must reads for any potential colorists.

Color Theory

DCs Guide To Coloring And Lettering Comics

Hi-Fi Color For Comics

And, I guess lastly, study your (and others) anatomy and pay particular attention to how light falls across the form. This is probably something that not a lot of people would think about doing as a colorist, but it's actually pretty essential when working on lines that may not be very detailed to help define the form of the body.

Hope that helps!

Ross

10. RHughes Guest

Along with the pages for issue #6 of Fallen Justice, Cary sent me some promo stuff to work on as well. I'll post some more of them when I get them finished up. I'm already noticing a problem with the glow around Prometheus' arm. I'm thinking that happened when I converted to CMYK. I'll fix that and repost, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear what you have to say about anything else.

Lines by Harold Edge

Dervish T-Shirt

Dervish Promo

Justice Theta Promo

Prometheus Promo

Page 1 of 20
1 2 3 ... LastLast