Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do u want

1. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TomLupo View Post
    figuring out how many comics you need to order.....
    This is the thing I hear from the local owners as well. One has been in and out of the business a couple of times...and he was saying that at one time it was a bit easier, but as the big events started happening more and more, and tons of renumbering, and new series coming and going, that it has gotten harder and harder over time.

There is not as much consistency from customers as there once was, from what I understand as well. Many people used to be very consistent about the titles they purchased from month to month, with only a few deviations...but now people are switching all the time...following certain writers and artists, dumping books and getting new ones repeatedly...So, these are all things to keep in mind. I am also looking at opening a comic/hybrid shop once I get enough funding...I know a couple combination shops, and some survive on the comics, and some survive on their other aspect....one popular one in Portland, Oregon survives on it's coffee shop aspect....

2. TomLupo Guest

YUP......OUR CUSTOMERS THE LAST 2 YEARS I WAS THERE WAS DROPPING BOOKS LIKE CRAZY. WE TRACKED ALL OUR BOOKS AND COULDN'T BELIEVE THE CHANGE FROM MONTH TO MONTH. HULK ALONE WENT FROM SELLING 200 COPIES TO 70 WHEN I LEFT THE PLACE. SAME WITH THOR. AMAZING SPIDEY CHANGES FROM ARC TO ARC.....THAT FUCKS YOU UP.
    DC IS GONNA HAVE ALL THEIR BOOKS RETURNABLE AT FIRST WITH THE REBOOT....A GREAT IDEA. MEANTIME MARVEL IS PRINTING SO LOW THAT THEY GO BACK TO SECOND AND THIRD PRINT....THAT IS A PLOY TO MAKE A COMIC "HOT"

3. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TomLupo View Post
    MEANTIME MARVEL IS PRINTING SO LOW THAT THEY GO BACK TO SECOND AND THIRD PRINT....THAT IS A PLOY TO MAKE A COMIC "HOT"
    I've wondered about that...it seems they have quite a few second and third printings...and they always make it out to sound like it is because the book is extremely popular...but when you look at sales, they show otherwise. Does that mean they are basically not even printing enough to fulfill the diamond orders purposefully in some cases?? It wouldn't surprise me with the state of Marvel these days.

4. Jehoe Guest

I will have a system on my till that will calculate what sells. and order accordingly. Its the business side im worried about like tax and red tape stuff. Im going to try and sell unknown comics, and maybe a few local artists work. My gf did suggest a hybrid to me but im unsure if i want a coffee place, want to keep the place pure of invented culture coffee crap.

But the idea of art materials or maybe even a small cinema upstairs perhaps?
    Last edited by Jehoe; Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: more to say

5. trusty Guest

I'd argue that the comic book store I go to regularly is the best I've ever seen which is why I get my subscribed books from them.

It is about 25-30 minutes away from where I live depending on how traffic is on the freeway but the trip is worth it because I've been so several comic book shops that had things that couldn't compare to the store I go to that are of closer distance. Here are the highlights for me of the store I frequent to:

- Clean as hell. The store always looks clean and brand new even though it isn't. You'd think that it was built just this year.

- Organized as hell. They have A LOT of back issues, TPBs, toys, statues, clothing apparel, accessories all superhero and comic book related and they have it so well organized. The most impressive is how they handle their back issues. Instead of using just comic book bins on tables stacked and such with dividers they have customized shelves that are of proper size. So you essentially have a dresser with no top of sides or bottom and you just pull out an entire "bin" of comics that are sitting in a drawer essentially. Plus they also do well to make sure their back issues are in the right sections.

- Systematic. As in they have a well structured digital and printed database for all the box holders. You are assigned a box number and they have in the back all the boxes for people who set up an account with them. So it is very easy to add and remove books to my box as well as any statue, action figure, magazine, TPB, clothing apparel, etc that I want before it comes out. That way when new items come out I do not have to worry about them running out which is something I think is unique because yea a lot of stores do that for comics but not other merchandise.

- Regular On-Sale Specials. There are about 4 or so regular sales that always appear around the same time such as Halloween or Spring or something and it is often like "50% off all back issues, 20% off all TPBs, 15% of all posters, 15% of all toys, etc"...but then on their Facebook page they will have status updates saying "Today if you come in and say this secret word/phrase or where a shirt with this on or something you get this amount % off on this this and/or this" so it gets you go to go the store more frequently than perhaps once a week.
    Last edited by trusty; Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

6. Thanks thanked for this post
    Likes liked this post
  7. TomLupo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdlogan View Post
    I've wondered about that...it seems they have quite a few second and third printings...and they always make it out to sound like it is because the book is extremely popular...but when you look at sales, they show otherwise. Does that mean they are basically not even printing enough to fulfill the diamond orders purposefully in some cases?? It wouldn't surprise me with the state of Marvel these days.
    i think it has to do with the 3 week cut off date...once they get those numbers they stick close to them so they don't overprint. if a book gets great sales the day it comes out and you call yer diamond rep, they gather the info....send it to marvel and they go to another printing. and there are the dummies out there that will buy every printing. dc always had a good back order stock.

8. TomLupo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trusty View Post
    I'd argue that the comic book store I go to regularly is the best I've ever seen which is why I get my subscribed books from them.

It is about 25-30 minutes away from where I live depending on how traffic is on the freeway but the trip is worth it because I've been so several comic book shops that had things that couldn't compare to the store I go to that are of closer distance. Here are the highlights for me of the store I frequent to:

- Clean as hell. The store always looks clean and brand new even though it isn't. You'd think that it was built just this year.

- Organized as hell. They have A LOT of back issues, TPBs, toys, statues, clothing apparel, accessories all superhero and comic book related and they have it so well organized. The most impressive is how they handle their back issues. Instead of using just comic book bins on tables stacked and such with dividers they have customized shelves that are of proper size. So you essentially have a dresser with no top of sides or bottom and you just pull out an entire "bin" of comics that are sitting in a drawer essentially. Plus they also do well to make sure their back issues are in the right sections.

- Systematic. As in they have a well structured digital and printed database for all the box holders. You are assigned a box number and they have in the back all the boxes for people who set up an account with them. So it is very easy to add and remove books to my box as well as any statue, action figure, magazine, TPB, clothing apparel, etc that I want before it comes out. That way when new items come out I do not have to worry about them running out which is something I think is unique because yea a lot of stores do that for comics but not other merchandise.

- Regular On-Sale Specials. There are about 4 or so regular sales that always appear around the same time such as Halloween or Spring or something and it is often like "50% off all back issues, 20% off all TPBs, 15% of all posters, 15% of all toys, etc"...but then on their Facebook page they will have status updates saying "Today if you come in and say this secret word/phrase or where a shirt with this on or something you get this amount % off on this this and/or this" so it gets you go to go the store more frequently than perhaps once a week.
    these are great things that i instilled in my former job....it was dirty and unorginized when i started there.

sounds like a great place.

9. Jehoe Guest

Thats is fantastic advice. Thank you. The forbidden planet store i go to is clean, well lit, and usually organised. I like the sale idea alot. So how many staff are there in your comic shops? I think myself 2, full timer and 2 part timers Is good for my fuyure store. but I guess it depends on the store size.

10. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoe View Post
    Thats is fantastic advice. Thank you. The forbidden planet store i go to is clean, well lit, and usually organised. I like the sale idea alot. So how many staff are there in your comic shops? I think myself 2, full timer and 2 part timers Is good for my fuyure store. but I guess it depends on the store size.
    It depends alot on the store size, how much your sales are, what hours you want to be open, and how much time you plan on putting into it yourself. When I had my used bookstore, the only employees were my wife and I, and we were open from 10am-6pm Tuesday-Saturday and closed Sunday and Monday. One of the local comic shops near me is just run by the owner and his wife, while the other is run by the owner and his wife and 2 part time employees. For the first couple, their store is their primary work and income...the other owner works full time for a major corporation, so he is only in the store during the weekends. Of course, over in Portland, there are several Things From Another World (TFAW) stores which are owned by Darkhorse comics...and I believe each of them has about 3 full time employees and 4 or 5 part time employees. I recently was looking into a franchise, and talked to the owner of one of the franchise stores, who has a full time manager, a marketing/media manager, and a couple of other employees, and the owner only works about 20 hours a week. Again, I would do some research on some of the other stores near you...see how they have their employee systems set up. :-)

11. Thanks thanked for this post
  12. TomLupo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoe View Post
    OPEN A BOOZE STORE...YOU'LL MAKE MONEY.

Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast