Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What do u want

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

How many shops are around in that area already? I know for me in our area, up until a year ago many people had to drive 20-30 minutes to get to ours, and that shop never seemed too too busy.

2. Jehoe Guest

It has alot of shops there, and its also likw a stop over point for anyone traveling in the South, lots of tourists, and locals. Easy transport aswell

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I've worked pretty closely with a small business in the past and I've seen the owner get conned multiple times by mall realtors, etc (ie. they promise the world for foot traffic). If I can give you any advice its go and ask around to other business owners before you open or sign anything. Small business owners are pretty honest when it comes to telling potential neighbours, so they might be able to let you know what traffic is really like.

I'd also maybe check around with some of the other shops and see how they're doing. Probably be a LITTLE sneakey and go in as a shopper (I've seen this happen too), and just get the feeling. Just see how they're doing. I'd bet that if their pocket book is hurting, yours will too. =)

4. Thanks thanked for this post
    Likes liked this post
  5. TomLupo Guest

SOUND ADVICE!!

6. Jehoe Guest

that is sound advice. I wouldnt go a shoping centre, for the exact point u said. I will have a look round and see what i can find out. cheers

7. Jamesdlogan Guest

Definitely take a look at the location very carefully. After having my own small business this is one of the biggest pieces of advice I can give. I bought my used bookstore and opened it in the location it was already in. I thought it was a great location...right in downtown Portland...in the basement of an Historic church....the site of the first Stumptown comics festival....but I was very wrong. And, it is absolutely amazing how much difference 2 blocks can make in a city. 2 blocks away was one of the busiest areas of town...every wednesday and saturday there were farmers markets on the Park blocks....and they were constantly packed....the other businesses on that street did fantastic throughout the week from foot traffic. But, two blocks away....nothing. We had maybe 5% of the foot traffic the Park blocks had. So, it's important to take a look at the area...watch and see what kind of traffic is actually there.

My other two pieces of advice as a small business owner are; get a good hold on how to use social media (Facebook and Twitter especially) to promote your business and interact with customers. This was one of the biggest saving graces for my business. And finally, the thing that I failed at...make sure you have money set aside for advertising and marketing purposes. You would not believe how many people, especially when I was having my closing sale, told me that they had no idea I was there, and would have come on a regular basis had they known.

8. Thanks thanked for this post
    Likes liked this post
  9. Jehoe Guest

Thanks for the advice, i would set aside money for ad , such as leaflets, internet ads, i would also have my gf who is a wizz on the facebook, and twitter to help.
    It will take alot of research and hard work to get it right but im very hopeful. Anymore advice?

10. Jamesdlogan Guest

None at this point....but feel free to even email me any specific questions. It is always good to have other small business owners (or prior small business owners) and those who do or have worked in the industry as well to have available to ask questions. Some things regarding legal issues I might not be able to help with due to the different countries...but I would still do my best:-) I also have a Master's degree in Business and have been thinking about staring my own consulting business...so, being able to help you would be great practice:-) so, hit me up anytime for any questions/advice/etcetera about small business.

jamesdlogan1974@aol.com

You can also get ahold of me on Facebook using that email...or at Gnu-To-You Books-N-Things on FB (there is a personal page and a business page for Gnu-To-You).

:-)

11. Thanks thanked for this post
    Likes liked this post
  12. Jehoe Guest

Thank you very much, ill take you up on that offer. I have learned a great deal thank you everyone for all your comments. And in the future if any of you come to destiny comics in the uk at somepoint, have a comic on me.

13. Likes liked this post
  14. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to revisit this thread if/when you decide to take action and let us all know. We generally don't allow advertising, but if it's something that we helped get started (especially if its a brick and mortar store) we can make some exceptions

Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4