Thread: So, the Kirby Clan lost....

1. Slither Guest

So, the Kirby Clan lost....

While I feel bad that Jack got pretty much ripped off, I cannot say this ruling upsets me.

Sure, marvel made a ton of money off Jack's ideas, but he was paid for his work.

Maybe he shoulda started his own company.

2. Slither Guest

3. TomLupo Guest

i have been reading the depositions all mornin'...i agree with the ruling...his grand kids should not get a penny...they have no input into kirby's art.
    i'm reading the roy thomas deposition

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/...rby-et_08.html

4. trusty Guest

At first I did not care but then I listened to Episode 60 I believe where Jason Dyer had a long interview with this one dude and when the dude mentioned how the artist is much like the director of a comic book in that they bring the concept to life...that is where I started to feel for the Kirby Estate. But really only if he was still alive.

5. RedCelestial Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    While I feel bad that Jack got pretty much ripped off, I cannot say this ruling upsets me.

Sure, marvel made a ton of money off Jack's ideas, but he was paid for his work.
    Not sure if that's true considering Marvel's history of screwing its talent

Maybe he should a started his own company.
    Meh IMO Marvel should have done for Jack what Pacific Comics tried to do

I mean the way Jack was treated when he returned to Marvel in the mid 70s was shit...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

If you listen to Episode 69 (I think that's what it was) we had a few various opinions on the show. We also had an interview with a creator who actually says it shouldn't be a legal issue but a moral issue. It was an interesting take on it

7. trusty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJondrew View Post
    If you listen to Episode 69 (I think that's what it was) we had a few various opinions on the show. We also had an interview with a creator who actually says it shouldn't be a legal issue but a moral issue. It was an interesting take on it
    Oh yea it was 69. Whoops don't know why I said 60.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

You were testing me, right? :P

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I could see what Arlen Schumer was saying about how Jack should be credited for the work but I firmly believe that his grandkids shouldn't get a dime. Lawsuits like this are doing nothing to HELP the industry. In a best case scenario for them, they get the rights to all intellectual properties created by Kirby. Where would we be then? Would Kirby's grandkids start a comic book company and actually use the characters they got the rights to? I doubt it. Even if they did, that detracts from the character interactions they could have in the Marvel Universe as a whole, which would hurt story telling in both Marvel and whatever company they might start up.

Regardless, they don't want to entertain fans through story with these characters, they simply want money. Another example of the "Gimme Generation" trying to get something for nothing.