Thread: Star Trek: The original series

1. Jamesdlogan Guest

Star Trek: The original series

Okay...I know the acting has always been questionable in this series...and I have still loved watching it all these years, but I just watched an episode that has to be one of the worst acted episodes of the entire series...

Having watched Star Trek since I was very young (my grandmother, whom I lived with growing up was a Trekkie from the very first episode!), I have seen pretty much every episode dozens of times over. Except for one. Somehow in my 37 years of life I have always missed the episode "Space Seed". This is surprising on two accounts; first being that I have seen every other episode multiple times...and second being that for the Trek universe this is a very important episode. Anyone who doesn't already know..."Space Seed" is the original episode in which we are introduced to Khan Noonien Singh, who we also see in the Movie, Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan.

This episode is very obviously one of the first ones...as it does not have Checkov (who I know does not show up until the second season) and it does not have Sulu as well. And while I love some of the interaction in this episode, the best acting seems to come from Scotty...Even McCoy and Spock don't feel quite right in this particular episode. I expect over acting from William Shatner...and I know Ricardo Montalban is often guilty of over acting as well....but wow...maybe this is why I have never seen this particular episode before...maybe all involved were too ashamed of the job they did on this one...

Oh well....off to watch "Mirror, Mirror" next...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha - I love watching TOS every now and then just for fun. I can't believe you've never seen Space Seed! You can't appreciated Wrath of Khan until you see it

I completely agree though that this has to be one of the worst acting episodes -- and because of that, it's by far one of my favorites.

3. Jamesdlogan Guest

Yeah, I'm really not sure how I missed it...from the earliest I can remember, through my high school years, I would watch Star Trek ANY time it was on...so I really don't know how I have not seen this before (haven't watched as much since then because my wife can't stand TOS..lol.). I was hoping to watch Wrath of Khan last night...but it's not on the streaming netflix...and the DVD on my computer is not working at the moment:-(

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Khan and is crazy man-breasts. :P

I actually want to sit down and watch all of the Star Trek movies in the future. It's been awhile since I've seen them all. It's funny, I used to be a HUGE Star Trek and sci-fi fan. Then I stopped when I first started dating my now-wife (guess I had other things to do -- I refuse to use the word better as after all it is Star Trek). Eventually I started watching more and more, and then I came out of my geek-closet. She called me a geek but was cool with it :P THEN WE WENT AND SAW THE NEW STAR TREK movie and just as it was about to start she made the "Live Long and Prosper" sign and cheered with the crowd.... I guess she must have been a geek at one point too. I almost cried I was so happy :P