Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: is it time for pfb to close down??

1. TomLupo Guest

is it time for pfb to close down??

DOES IT COST MONEY TO KEEP THIS GRAVEYARD ALIVE?? THIS WAS THE WORST WEEKEND EVER. I ALSO NOTICED SCOTT WAS HERE EVERYDAY AND NEVER BOTHERED TO POST. I STILL HAVE MY FREE WEBSITE AND IF YOU WANT STEVIE I'LL MAKE YOU THE ADMIN AND YOU CAN REDISIGN THE WHOLE THING. THIS PLACE IS REALLY DEPRESSIN' ME BECAUSE ITS THE ONLY COMIC SITE I POST OUT.

JUST THINK ABOUT IT...NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

2. Jamesdlogan Guest

I don't know what the weather was like everywhere else, but I know here in the NW it was the hottest it's been all summer this weekend...so nobody was home, everyone was out playing in the sun. Plus, school starts here in just over a week, and everyone is trying to get their last bit of summer fun in before going back to school. I got a couple reviews up and posted links on my facebook page...I have a feeling things will pick back up in the next month, once the new DCU starts coming out....then there will be either a lot of bitching, a lot of praise, or a big combination of both. I'm going to ask a couple of the local comic shops if I can post the page link on their facebook sites as well.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been home on R&R from Iraq, but as you can probably imagine, I've been spending as much time as I can with my wife. Honestly, we've been thinking about seriously downsizing the forums. It's one of the least used parts of the site and since it's been up for over five years and hasn't taken off no matter what we do, I've kind of run out of ideas and motivation to try and spur on meaningful conversations. When the majority of the posts are things like "Happy birthday bitch. I hope you die", or "I fucked your mom and you are a fag" can you really blame us? That kind of thing is sure to bring the masses in in droves.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

There, I just cleaned house with the forums. I didn't delete anyone's threads, but I moved some of them around and combined several forums.

5. TomLupo Guest

WELL NO OFFENSE....BUT I WROTE THAT BECAUSE THIS PLACE IS DEAD. I DIDN'T THINK IT MATTERED ANYMORE.....I HAVE TRIED MANY THINGS MY SELF TO GET THIS PLACE BOPPIN' BUT IT DON'T WORK. I WAN THIS PLACE TO SUCCEED...BUT ITS A LOST CAUSE AT THIS POINT....THATS WHY I HAVE OFFERED TO DONATE MY PLACE AND MAYBE THINGS WILL LOOK UP.

AND AS FAR AS B-DAY WISHES---FUCK THOSE ASSHOLES....THEY HAVE CONTRIBUTED NOTHING HERE.

WELL I DID GET YOU TO POST SO I DID SUMMIN' RIGHT....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting a comics message board that was opened within the last decade to catch fire is a tough deal. Most of the ones that caught fire and endured were started and established a base in the 90's/very early 00's. The novelty has been wearing thin for some time now.

7. TomLupo Guest

this place has been here for a while..and many times i have wrote controverialty things and just plain trash talk.
    i left here for a long time cause i thought it would actually help get new peeps here. when i came back it was not that much of a difference. the latest exodus is because peeps get bored at a place where there is no action.
    the ones who left in the last few months was on great terms with me.
    should i leave again?? would it bring in new peeps??
    i doubt it...and i have been very nice to the few new folks who have joined lately.
    i read newsrama and resorces because of the traffic....i don't post at either place.
    well..the offer is on the table....i would even step down as an admin....
    i made the offer to give my site away cause it is free...i was actually trying to help in my own demented way.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott did a good job with downsizing the forums. There were too many. Personally I have to say that I agree with dragonlace that trying to get a forum to get going is tough if its been within the 5-10 years. I also think that there are two main forum markets in comics - the first one is the folks who just want to get together and have some fun talking comics. The second is the ones who want to come, post rediculous flame-like posts. Both have great potential, but the two of them together don't mesh. I think the PFB forums have gone back and forth over the years which is why they've never taken off. For awhile (I'd say around 2 years ago) we had a pretty overall clean forum and it was growing; however, slowly those members left and things changed again to a mix of both.

Where I think a lot of forums doom themselves in is by having the mentality of "we need this forum to grow. How can we make it grow? There's only 5 regular members, how do we get more?" Most of the forums that I visit that are just a group of people hanging out (ie. not a business like CBR) are successful because a few people decided "Screw it. I don't care how many people are here. Lets just have some fun." They started having fun and didn't care who was around and more people saw that, and it grew.

I do agree with Scott that a large portion of our posts on the forums are a detractor to potential members. Sure a lot of them were created by past members who aren't around anymore, but it takes a lot to recover from that. I've said it before and I'll say it again, pointing out the obvious that the forums are missing posters doesn't help at all in my opinion. It's making posts so that there are posts -- which is worse than having fewer more constructive posts in my opinion.

As Scott mentioned, the forum is one of the least used parts of the site and if it comes to it, maybe we would close it down -- or perhaps try to make another forum the official one of PFB. However, for now it stays and if people want to be here, cool -- if they don't -- cool. I think some members of the community don't realize that that forum is just a part of PFB. We COULD close it down if we wanted (as you mentioned there's not a huge amount of posts here anyway), but the site would still be up. We get hits from the news we post, the reviews and most recently the podcast. All of our staff (Scott and I included) do this out of the fun for comics and having a forum doesn't cost us any extra money so might as well keep it around for those who want to be here and just talk comics with whoever is around and wants to do the same. =)

9. trusty Guest

I was actually wondering why we never hear from some of the other fanboybuzz podcasters. Stephen Jondrew is the only one I have seen with the occasional Scott Williams but his reason makes sense. What about JS, Jason Dyer, and Steve Boyd?

10. Flyattractor Guest

Its like there is a finite # of comic book geeks out there and they have chosen their holes and they aint moving.

Of course since Comic book geeks never learned how to reproduce they will never be any more "new" comic book fans.

TOMMY SHOOTS BLANKS!

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast