Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: YET ANOTHER BIG SHOE DROPS ON THE INDUSTRY

1. TomLupo Guest

YET ANOTHER BIG SHOE DROPS ON THE INDUSTRY

ATOMIC COMICS IN ARIZONA IS NO MORE. THEY WERE CONSIDERED ONE OF THE TOP TEN COMICS STORES IN AMERICA....YET ANOTHER SIGN OF THE DEATH OF COMICS:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...in-shuts-down/

2. JeffHaas Guest

This news has NOTHING to do with the death of comics. Not in the slightest. The information about the IRS, and the sudden close, feels more indicative have something more along the lines of tax fraud/not paying, etc. Out of business due to lack of sales would probably have been preceeded by either, discount promotions in an attempt to save the business, or a blow out sale to get rid of inventory. I am not saying that business has been good for comics, but this smells fishy.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

With the announcement that DC will be releasing digital titles the same day as print titles, I'm pretty sure that when I get back home from Iraq I'll be buying nearly all of my comics digitally on my iPad.

4. TomLupo Guest

everyone is slowly goin' diggi.....i just cannot do it.
    2 more stores closed down in brooklyn....i think there are 5 comic stores left. i was in barnes and noble last week and they are carrying a lot of comics...the most i ever saw there...they must be going with ingrem so the books are returnable....still....i give the print medium of comic books about 5 years more tops.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of people knew about the chain (creator wise). I somewhat agree that a large store like that doesn't go out of business overnight, but the problem is that a lot of business owners have so much invested they just keep thinking "if i can hold on a bit longer" and next thing you know they're in large debt

6. TomLupo Guest

here is some inside tips.....all comics are bought from diamond on credit and most are not returnable.....its at the point where a store doesn't know what to order...i saw it happen....i post numbers here.
    plus the economy is so fucked......imagine yer trying to make a living and yer rent and bills keep goin' up and you lose more and more customers.

did youse know that almost all the book stores including barnes and noble and the others are closed here in new york??

all the music stores are gone...to buy a cd you have to go to a best buy......AND THIS IS NEW YORK....NOT SOME LIL HICK TOWN.

the usa is doomed

7. Jamesdlogan Guest

On one side of this, I think stores like Barnes & Noble having comics is actually a good thing for the industry. I think going ONLY to the direct market was not a good thing for the industry as a whole. They need very well placed and visible spinner racks in the grocery stores like they used to...just a select few titles to get people hooked (as some of us got hooked this way!) and then more advertising for local shops. I would never have known about any of the local shops if I was not specifically looking for comic shops. Only two of the local Portland/Vancouver shops are right on major roads and visible, and one of those (a TFAW owned by Dark Horse) is in a major shopping area with lots of foot traffic. I know from my little bookstore that the amount of advertising you are able to do makes a huge difference. This is one of the reasons I want to re-open my used bookstore and have new comics as well...having just finished my MBA, I see so many things that the comic industry is doing wrong, especially at the local comic store level. Most have no business experience or knowledge...they open a shop purely for the love of comics...or because they have heard tales of the great speculator dollars that were made in the past..(everyone should watch the movie 'Comic Book Villains'...lol). Yes, print is somewhat giving way to the digital market...but I am seeing with my online bookstore, that print is slowly making it's way back to normal...my used book sales are almost back to where they were pre-kindle. I think if the economy ever starts to take a turn upward, those comic stores who stick through this and learn to market themselves better, will be doing great at that point...and if enough learn to market themselves better, the industry could see an upswing. Right now, the ONLY time you hear about comics in any media or advertising is when a movie comes out and the comic is referenced, or when some major character death is coming up....you never see advertisements for comic books or comic book stores at all.

Anyway...I've ranted long enough for now...I believe there are ways to boost the industry....but some of those options are up to the publishers and some are up to the distributors and stores.

8. TomLupo Guest

DUDE...I WAS HAPPY TO SEE COMICS AT THE ONE BARNES AND NOBLE LEFT IN NEW YORK........THE WORLD HAS CHANGED SO MUCH...I BET IF YOU PUT A BUNCH OF $2.99-$3.99 COMICS BACK IN ALL THE OLD STORES IT WOULD BUST.
    FIRST OFF....ALL THOSE OLD CANDY STORES I BOUGHT COMICS IN BACK 35 YEARS AGO ARE RUN BY ARABS SELLIN' LOTTERY CARDS, CELL PHONES, AND HIGH PRICED CRAP.

I DIG READIN' YER OPINIONS ALL THE TIME JDL.....BUT ITS OVER. KIDS DON'T COLLECT COMICS AND OUR LAST GENERATION ARE GIVIN' UP ON IT. YOU YOURSELF HAS BOUGHT VERY FEW NEW COMICS OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS BECAUSE OF SCHOOL.........IT BREAKS MY HEART TO SEE THE INDUSTRY END!!!

9. Jbreeny Guest

I think you are being way too pessimestic about this whole thing Tom, things may be looking bad but I don't think comics are anywhere near coming to an end anytime soon. We have had plenty of positive signs that their are readers out there for comics, they just need to get reached. Superman:Earth One would be an example, it sold extremely well and showed the market was there and just needed to be tapped into the right way, which I think is why DC is doing this big relaunch, they are hoping that with this relauch that they can tap into the market which is there. I also think the digital aspect can really help comics gorw a bigger fanbase, there are so many oppertunities with digital comics, take Scott for example, having digital comics will make it easy for him to read comics whilst he is away for the army. I am sure that one day digital comics will overtake print comics, however I am sure print comics will always be around for collectors, and the companies like DC and Marvel will adjust their printing of comics for that.

Marvel and DC don't make their money from comics anyway. They make money from the films and all the merchandise. So in the grand scheme of things comics will always be safe because they will always make billions of dollars in the film and merchandise industries.

10. trusty Guest

I've been to Atomic Comics when I went to visit some family in Arizona for the past few years. Shame. My cousins there live in the Chandler/Gilbert/Phoenix area. Nice shop always clean and looking new that is a shame.

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast