Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YET ANOTHER BIG SHOE DROPS ON THE INDUSTRY

1. trusty Guest

Adding to something Jbreeny mentioned I really do think that digital comics will help the industry. So many people make impulse buys on iPads and iPhones alone when they see something for $0.99-$1.99 and comics through DC digitally will be $1.99. As for comic shops? Yea that is the down side they may not see much change in their current state now but as the actual industry it will help I think.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree too that I think once the digital comics become available the same release it'll help the industry. Let me honest here -- people would rather spend $4 on a coffee than a comic. I think the comic publishers need to start making new comics available the same day printed are available (looks like we're on the right track). I firmly believe there are a LOT (and I'm talking a lot) of people who say they'd never go digital but in reality they are full of crap.

Here's the thing -- money drives the world. The econmy is in the crapper. I also believe a lot of people who say "I prefer the physical comic" probably have never checked out an iPad with it. I'll leave them nameless, but there was guy who used to be around here who was adamat it wasn't the same. He said he couldn't stand digital at all. Scott said "Have you seen the iPad?" He said no. The guy had his heels so dug into the ground that digital sucked and he hadn't even checked out the iPad yet. In my opinion he was even arrogant about it. Since then I've talked to others who have been the same. Anyway, once the industry starts releasing digital for less on the same day as physical, I firmly believe a lot of these people I've just mentioned will go "hmmmm.. Looks good. And what? I can now buy TWO (or 3) COMICS for the price of one physical?" As I said, money drives the world.

I know for me, once this starts happening I will pick up more titles and more importanly, I'll pickup titles more regularly. I have a history with iTunes/digital formats and I know for myself I'll end up spending more per month on comics digitally than I do right now. Right now there are weeks where I plan to read something but I just don't get to the store. Once the publishers change mentalities, I can download a comic from bed, the couch or hell, even the bathroom.

Now I know there are a lot of collectors out there going "but I want to collect". Ok, cool. There'll always be a median for that I get it. However, it might mean eventually they have to order from a website. So now the collectors are going to say to me "But then I have to wait for my comic??" to that I respond - well you're just collecting anyway. If you really want comics quickly, go get it digitally. Its way faster than going to a comic book store.

I also think that once the publishers start releasing digitally we're going to see more affordable readers than the iPad. There is a huge market for books out there, and there'll be one out there for a good-quality, inexpensive comic book reader.

So in short -- I agree that digital will help.

3. trusty Guest

I might even buy a digital and print copy of Aquaman come relaunch. Helps the sale, I know I will be impatient since I can get it asap in the morning before my LCS opens and have the option to also get digital when I want the physical copy for sure, and the copy remains never opened or touched when I get it really so in a small way helps the condition and value because I am not a huge collector but for Aquaman I am.
    Last edited by trusty; Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah - definitely a great way to collect comics and keep them in great shape. Get to read them and yet leave them untouched for only a bit more.

5. Jamesdlogan Guest

I often read comics online....and it's alright. But, the comics I love the most, I want to have the physical copy in my hands. I want to be able to pull it out of the longbox and flip through it anytime....there is just something about holding that physical book in your hands....

There are some I would read digitally....especially those I don't personally care to keep or read over and over again. Books are the same way. While I have finally been sold on the Kindle (my wife has one, and I will soon be getting one myself) there are still many books I would much rather have the physical copies of. Plus, we are finding that digital books are not that much more affordable than regular paperbacks, and especially not cheaper than used books. I don't know...we will see how things progress.

6. Jbreeny Guest

Glad to see some people agree with me.

I constantly see all this doomsday talk across numerous forums when it simply isn't true. Comics aren't going anywhere, they make their companies so much money with films and merchandising that it would be stupid to get rid of them. Digital comics are definitely going to help the industry, I am sure of it, however physical copies will never disapear as there will always be collectors, all that will change is that the companies will adjust how many physical copies they make etc. And then add in the long run that digital is going to more cost effecient for the companies.

So overall I don't think comics are anywhere close to dying and that they will pick up with digital becoming more prominent.

7. trusty Guest

If anything, if more people go digital now and shops see this so get less physical books doesn't that help collectors? Makes the print somewhat more scarce. I'm talking way down the line of time, though.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I'm not sure about that. I think it probably would help as less issues would be printed. However, I also think that if the majority of the people who are collecting end up keeping them in better condition, the lower conditions values would drop

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2