Thread: Movies I've seen while on R&R

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Movies I've seen while on R&R

So while I've been home, my wife and I have seen a few movies. Here's what I saw and what I think of each.

Captain America - I've heard some people complaining about how this isn't very accurate in terms of how the Red Skull came about and a few other things but I've got to say that this movie was awesome and I absolutely loved it. It made me excited for the Avengers movie in 2013.

X-Men First Class - I was never an X-Men fan really but I do keep up on most comic book movies. I've seen all of the X-Men movies and after the travesty of X3 and the retarded Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I was glad to see this movie could stand on it's own. From what I gather it strays from the X-Men's real origins in places but all in all it was a good movie for anyone who isn't an X-Men Fanboy who wants the movies to follow the comics 100%.

Watched on Netflix:

Limitless - Pretty sweet movie about a pill that lets you use 100% of your brain instead of the 10% that scientists say we can access.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Wow - eerie list. Just saw Cap myself last week - I agree I totally enjoyed it and it was fun. Its funny - I've heard that people who didn't know the story like it, but my bro didn't and said he hated it.

Here's where the list gets erie: I just set a reminder for when X-Men comes out so I can get it, and I just borrowed limitless from someone. WEIRD!!!!!!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I just watched Insidious and Priest. Both movies were less than stellar but Priest was the better of the two. Insidious was supposed to be one of the scariest movies ever from what I'd heard but it seemed pretty stupid to me honestly. I could dig the astral projection idea and the spirits trying to inhabit the shell body left behind but it wasn't really scary and the ending was pretty retarded. Priest was decent but it was another lower budget film, or at least the lighting in the movie seemed to give it that perception. It had a decent enough plot but it still seemed a bit off somehow. I think the resolution at the end just didn't quite fit and it left it open for a sequel that will probably never happen.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I forgot to mention that I watched MegaMind too. That was a pretty good little cartoon movie. My wife moaned and groaned about not wanting to watch it with me but when I finally got her to order it she sat through the whole thing and thought it was a pretty cute little movie. It wasn't what I had thought it was going to be but it was still entertaining.

5. trusty Guest

I enjoyed Captain America. It had an interesting Indiana Jones vibe to the Superhero mix. I especially loved how they explain his older costume designs and how he goes through some of his known looks throughout the movie before ending up with his final one. I think that out of the entire summer for comic book movies that Captain America was the best. Not saying I enjoyed it the most but I think that when looking at it all it was the better movie of the bunch.

X-Men First Class I felt was really good. They did a great job with the relationship between Professor X and Magneto my problem is one huge plot hole it has and the roster. Plot hole being that...when they are all on the island where they are about to get bombed...why the hell doesn't Azazel just teleport them out? I have no problem with what ended up happening but he wasn't even injured or knocked out to where he couldn't teleport if not everyone the rest of the Hellfire Club. It just bugged THE HELL outta me. Second like I said the roster is a bigger problem. I liked the movie. I liked the interactions...but it wasn't the X-Men I care about. I do like characters like Havok and Banshee and all...but without having the more common roster of mutants (or at least SOME of them only Beast was in this movie) in the end I jut don't care. Fantastic movie. Amazingly done. But for me it is a one and done movie because I don't care to watch characters I don't care about. They mess up some continuity with the previous movies, but IMO they would be wise to make a new franchise with this movie as its "first/foundation".

MegaMind really impressed me. Because it is a superhero based movie while watching it with my then girlfriend I was predicting so many scenarios while watching it with her in the theater. Some were correct but the bigger ones I was wrong about and that is something I enjoyed. Part of the problem with some of the superhero genre is the lack of creative thinking and being able to judge what they will do to the point that over time something becomes a cliche. That movie was very good.

Still haven't seen Limitless. Though I do have Netflix access.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the costume designs trusty - it was an evolution. I felt though like the way it was portrayed it seemed out of place that Cap would be showgirl :P

7. Jbreeny Guest

I still haven't seen Captain America, just haven't really had the desire to see it to be honest.

I saw X-Men: First Class when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I'd love to see Mathew Vaughn get another shot at the x-Men without the time constraints. it was well documented that Vaughn was brought in pretty late in the game and was hampered by time constraints, so I'd love to see him given the chance to do the film with a proper time scale in place. And I have to say that I think the film did a much better job of portraying the relationship of Xavier and Magneto than the comics have been able to do.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched Battle: Los Angeles last night and I thought it was a pretty decent movie. They tried to make it as realistic as possible but failed in a few places. Other than that though, it was entertaining and worth watching in my opinion.

9. trusty Guest

Haven't watched that movie yet.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Me neither!