Thread: Spider-Island?

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Spider-Island?

So we've been talking about this whole Spider-Island thing on the podcast and I have a Spider-Island pick for my Sucky Comic pick this week on the podcast -- I'm curious what y'all think of it.

Personally, I thought Issue 666 (or whatever it was) where it was introduced had potential; however, so far I'd say the potential has not been met at all. I've been let down in it considering how big of a thing it was supposed to be.

2. trusty Guest

My brother is collecting it as he always collects Spider-Man for the past several years. Though I still haven't read a single book he owns because I'm just not a Marvel dude. I like their characters and their mythos but I pride myself on being familiar with practically all of DC's history throughout the ages. I heard the concept and it is intriguing. Though it is sad that it seems that Marvel will likely make useless tie-ins for this story as they did with other events and character events in the past that I've heard about. What my brother has said about it so far is that it is interesting but he isn't crazy about it or anything.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea - I agree with your bro. Its interesting -- but not crazy about it. But heck - it makes for some Suck Comic picks -- SPOILER

4. Jbreeny Guest

I am reading the main series through Spider-Man and I have to admit that it aint half bad. So far we have had only issue 666 and issue 667 come out for the main story involving Spider-Man, both issues were fairly strong and it's given us a good concept, some people may find the people getting powers from bed bugs a little stupid but its exactly how Parker got his powers except with a Spider so that doesn't bother me. I think the story has a lot of potential, it is showing what could happen if people will no responsibility had Parkers powers. The idea that Madame Web is telling Peter he must kill someone in the end to win this is pretty interesting aswell. Overall I think this story has a lot of potential and I have been impressed with Slott so far so I am sure that he will deliver.

As for all the tie-ins, well i am not hetting any of them, waste of money for me, they just put the Spider-Island tag on them to sell more copies.

5. fenix1977 Guest

This event has been good so far. They have been slowly building it in ASM and there are some nice mini series that tie into the main story. The Cloak and Dagger tie in is good.

6. Woodchuck Guest

Welp

I've been picking up ASM monthly since 1986, so I've seen good stories, bad stories, and ho-hum stories.

Jury is still out on Spider-Island and it's just getting under way. My biggest complaint is the art - I've never liked Humberto Ramos' Spider-man and I hate that he's on point here. Why couldn't they have kept Stefano Cassellli for a few more issues? His art is much more robust and less bad animey/cartoony. I would have taken anyone but Eric Canete over Humberto Ramos. I'm comfortable with Slott as the writer and he's gotten better over the time he's written the book.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree on the art. It's a little disconnecting from some of the prior stuff and in turn I found it took me out of the story a bit. I also find the whole concept of spider-island a little random, but its also out there enough that it leaves you wanting to keep reading. As for the Cloak and Dagger tie-in.... I ripped it apart on the Fanboy Buzz -- but Jason said that he liked it. I also got the feeling if I had more experience with them I would have appreciated it more.

As someone who had little prior history with them, I hated it.

8. fenix1977 Guest

The last issue of ASM was awesome! Peter gets benched because is Super Friends don't want to keep tagging him on accident..so he sucks it up and makes a heart felt call to the people of NYC to step up and help out. Best part..he gets to run around with out his costume on and use his powers because almost everyone seems to have spider powers.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I've had a couple rough weeks in reading comics so I'll have to pick this up. I always like it when characters are able to get away with using powers in their regular life =)