Thread: How long before we have a global grid?

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

How long before we have a global grid?

Now this question needs a little clarification but I only had so much space in the subject line. I know we can make phone calls from various locations all over the globe and we can connect to the web from just as many places but my question is this:

When will we have one system (whether it be satellite or otherwise) that will allow us to wirelessly connect to the web/talk on the phone from absolutely anywhere in the world without it costing any extra from on place to another?

There has to be some kind of plan for something like this, doesn't there? I mean just putting up cell phone towers throughout the world seems a bit slow, not to mention the connection speeds are lacking. Has anyone heard about anything better on the horizon?

2. Jamesdlogan Guest

I'm sure the tech is out there somewhere. But, as with most things like this, the main reason it won't be made public knowledge and put to good use is money. Once a system like that is put into place, there would be so many wireless and cell phone companies that would stop making profits off of all those excess charges. I think it will be awhile before we see anything like this just due to the money aspect involved.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly true that the cell phone companies would stop making money hand over fist but that's kind of where I'm going with this. I think we should pass a law that forces all cell phone towers to play nice with one another. Any tower should service any provider without charging extra.

Also, a while back I had an idea that I thought would be pretty cool. What if the U.S. (and any other countries that wanted to do it) added wifi hubs in the medians of major interstates and roads every 500 feet or so? Having wifi availability anywhere on the road would be great!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that I think the first question is likely due to companies not wanting to lose roaming etc. However, if something like that were to happen, I'd probably bet we're at least 20 years away. The amount of new tech to be put into orbit to handle would be riidiculous.

As for the wifi thing -- there are some places that are doing that. A few of the local towns around here have started to do it on main streets and I'm guessing its a matter of time before the big cities do too. However, the issue I find here is that all of a sudden a group of people come out complaining that the wifi signals are hurting their brain :P