Thread: Favorite comic era

1. Jamesdlogan Guest

Favorite comic era

So, this may be dependent on your age, and when you started reading comics....but I'll ask anyway.

First, what is your favorite Era of comics overall?

What is your favorite era of Marvel comics? DC?

And, what is your favorite era of some of your favorite comics series?

I think overall I would have to go with the late 90's/early 2000's as my favorite all around era of comics. For me personally, DC and Marvel were finally neck in neck with stories and continuity at this point...with Marvel starting to decline and DC starting to improve.

However, my favorite Marvel era would have to be the late 70's/ early 80's...but partly because this is the era that got me hooked on comics. For DC, it would again be the late 90's/early 2000's with titles such as Young Justice and the Kyle Raynor GL.

Uncanny X-men has always been one of my top titles. And, while I absolutely love Jim Lee and there were some great stories through the late 80's/early 90's, the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne period is by far my favorite era of X-Men comics. The stories were fantastic, and the characterizations were exceptional! The characters seemed real, not just over the top superheroes...There were good guys and bad guys...but many of them were realistic...they weren't just good or evil...they had good qualities and bad. We had Wolverine who was fighting his animal side.....and Magneto, who had good intentions deep down....but took a more violent approach than Xavier did.

So...what is everyone else's favorites?

2. trusty Guest

Thinking about it quickly looking back it looks like the early 2000s was a good time for DC.

3. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trusty View Post
    Thinking about it quickly looking back it looks like the early 2000s was a good time for DC.
    IMO this period of DC was just about on par with the Marvel of the 1970's. Both had pretty good continuity, and the stories were pretty good as well.

4. Smeets Guest

for me it's the image books of the 90's. partly cause of my age but mostly due to the explosive spawn craze.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'd have to say the early nineties for Marvel. I was big on the Avengers and some of the B list characters like Quasar, Sleepwalker & Darkhawk.

For DC, I liked the Kyle Rayner stories but I think the best GL stories written were the lead ups to Blackest Night and Blackest Night itself. I enjoyed The Flash while Wally was in the role. I'm having a hard time letting Barry take the reigns in todays comics. So, to answer your question about which era I liked best in DC... I'm not sure. I guess it would be late ninties/early 2000s with a story arc here and there a few years beyond that.

6. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smeets View Post
    for me it's the image books of the 90's. partly cause of my age but mostly due to the explosive spawn craze.
    There were some pretty good Image books when they started...and there were some pretty bad ones as well...lol. Spawn, as much as I dislike McFarlane as a person, was actually one of the best written of the Image books.

7. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilliams View Post
    Well, I'd have to say the early nineties for Marvel. I was big on the Avengers and some of the B list characters like Quasar, Sleepwalker & Darkhawk.
    I think the early nineties was pretty good at Marvel. That was when I first started working, so I was buying almost everything that they put out...it also seems like that was a time they were taking some chances on new stuff that they really haven't done since...with characters such as those you mention....and the new Ghost Rider (Danny ??). I enjoyed Darkhawk and Ghost Rider during this time quite a bit.

8. comicbookfan21 Guest

i like 90's comics mostly image and marvel but dc had 2 or 3 good arcs throughout the 90's.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people I've talked to don't like it but I loved the sweet Avengers Bomber Jackets they had.