Thread: I want to punch...

1. Woodchuck Guest

I want to punch...

the head of DC's collections department in the face.

Flashpoint HC is due out in October. That's all well and good, fairly quick turnaround time. a little over a month after the conclusion of the series.

But the tie-ins collections...aren't due until MARCH 2012, seven months after the series ends and six months after the first collection is released.

Is there anyone there in either their sales or marketing departments that understands what 'momentum' is or how to capitalize on buzz? Yeah, yeah, I get it, the revamp is coming and this isn't that so you don't want to steal focus from that launch (though I've been collecting comics for 25 years and have never seen a trade collection steal focus from what's on the "new this week!" shelf), but that doesn't mean you still won't SELL PRODUCT if you put it out sooner than later, regardless of its impact on the current revamp. For the latest month of sales info available (July), Flashpoint was #4 on the list, with the tie-ins sprinkled throughout the top 100 (and you can't expect a main series and 16 tie-ins to all sell equally well, when most of the tie-ins were all new concepts), so someone is apparently reading it.

But rather than making more money on collected editions now, you want to wait over half a year, for it to get lost in a shuffle of what will certainly be various 6 month collections of the 52 relaunch titles. And on top of that, you're ramming out a hardcover collection of all 52 relaunch titles with $150 price tag that many people are going to avoid buying.

Strike while the iron is cold, DC. Strike while the iron is cold.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

DC is dead to me this year.

First Flash point and now the DCU 52 reboot what ever you want to call it.....

3. trusty Guest

That's dumb. I wish that they were better about releasing trades. I'm not this type of person 100% but some people do love to read comics but prefer to wait for trades.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I've said before. I'll be buying all of my books digitally whenever possible. I'm just glad to hear DC saying that they will be releasing new books digitally on the same day as their print books soon. I think Image is already doing that.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

@Scott

Indeed same day release... Is very very smart... for them.

I wonder how stores gonna take it do?

Subject for the podcast?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - that is so stupid that they're doing that. It's completely stupid and there's going to be no momentum anymore by that point -- so it seems kinda stupid from a marketing stance too.

Also Scott - I was the same as you regarding digital before they actually launched it. I won't get into it too much here, but I rant a bit in my sucky comics section of Episode 71 (should be out today) about the fact that they priced the digital download at the same price as the paper issues. So where they would have had me buying more, they've fucked up and I wont be. Guess its paper for me -- which is their loss cuz I'm sure they make grossly less that way vs digital.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've been arguing with Jim Lee on Twitter about the bullshit price point they put on the digital issues.