Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to start reading some Boom! Studios

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to start reading some Boom! Studios

Well, I thought I'd give Boom! Studios a try. I've read a few comics by them in the past that were pretty good so I'm going to check out Irredeemable, Incorruptible (both apparently are supposed to be very good) and I thought I'd give the Stan Lee titles, Starborn, Soldier Zero and The Traveler a shot. I don't think Stan actually writes these books but I think his heyday is behind him anyway.

2. trusty Guest

I've been planning on checking out Irredeemable and Incorruptible as well.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Put me down in the same category as trusty!

4. trusty Guest

I plan to check them out when I shorten my list of things to be read. I heard really good things about them when I briefly played DC Universe Online via a community forum of a guy that said how amazing Iredeemable is.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the first four volumes of Irredeemable and volume one of Incorruptible. They're both really good and I can't seem to put them down.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea those are the best titles boom is releasing at this time - The planet of the apes stuff is good as well.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read the Stan Lee stuff yet, probably will start tonight. It's decent though?

8. fenix1977 Guest

Those are great reads (Irredeemable and Incorruptible) and never let me down.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I'm pretty close to being caught up on all of these titles now.

Irredeemable - 5 out of 5 stars.
    This is probably the best take on what would really happen to someone with the power set of Superman pitted against how ungrateful and demanding people can be. I love how he snaps and the struggle that you can clearly see going on in his psyche as he tries to make sense of the world he's in. The art is fantastic in this book. There are a lot of scenes that are awe inspiring.

Incorruptible - 4 out of 5 stars.
    This is a pretty good supplemental story to Irredeemable. I found that it's not quite as strong as Irredeemable is but it's still good none the less. I'd like to see Max Damage get a new look because his current one just isn't quite doing it for me. It's another nice variation from what we normally see in the superhero comics though. The art isn't quite as clean as I'd like but it's not terrible and I've seen much worse coming from some Marvel comics titles.

Soldier Zero - 3.5 out of 5 stars.
    This book is pretty good. I like watching characters grow in to heroes and it's a refreshing change from the same old rehashed shit that Marvel and DC normally put out. The art is pretty good too. Nice, clean art style, which is exactly my cup of tea.

Starborn - 3.5 out of 5 stars.
    I really found the concept behind this one interesting. This also falls into the same category that I mentioned above about watching someone grow into their powerset and coming into their own. The art is just as solid as Soldier Zero and get's the Scott Williams official seal of approval.

The Traveler - 2 out of 5 stars.
    This one may be the only "Stan Lee" book written by Irredeemable/Incorruptible's Mark Waid, but it feels like something Grant Morrison would've put out, because I can't understand a god damn thing that's going on in the book. The art is it's strongest component, but sometimes it feels like panels are in the wrong order or something. I think that's probably the writing, but the storyline is literally all over the map. It's one of those books that makes you say, "WHAT???" after you're done reading it.

10. trusty Guest

Next time I go to my LCS--only books I'm getting in print regularly are Aquaman, Justice League, and Savage Hawkman and the rest are digital so not sure when--I just might pick up the first TPB of Iredeemable finally.

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast