Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New 52

1. Woodchuck Guest

New 52

Since it didn't look like anyone else had started a thread about the new releases yet, figured I might.

I'm not picking up all the new issues, but I promised myself I wasn't going to slag something unless I picked it up and gave it a shot.

So of the 4 I've picked up, here's my thoughts (in order of preference) -

1. OMAC - I enjoyed this more than any other of the new releases, completely surprised by this as I have no respect for Dan Didio as a creator. Giffen's art is deliberately very Kirbyesque, big and fun to look at.

2. Action Comics - I'm a Morrison fan from way back. Good first issue, leaves me wanting more.

3. Hawk & Dove - the art is even weirder than usual Liefeld art (everyone's eyes make them look Asian). Some art errors here and there (one panel has Hawk's dad with eyes on two different levels of his head), but an okay read though not a good intro book.

4. Justice League - for the hype, it delivered the least. Sure, it was pretty to look at, but the story didn't grab me or make me want to pick up any more issues.

What did you all get?

2. trusty Guest

OMAC - Loved it! The art is AMAZING! Great homage to Kirby and the use of colors is stellar as well. I was blown away by how much I loved this book. It even has a Bronze Age/Late Silver Age feel to it that works.

Swamp Thing - Loved it! The art is AMAZING as well and I particularly LOVE the inking style. I never read a Swamp Thing book before but it's Snyder and the art was beautiful so I took a gamble and am very glad I made the purchase. Interesting story so far looks like.

Stormwatch - Great read. The art though was the problem because sometimes the quality was lacking and I couldn't tell if it was only the inking style or also the colorist or what...some panels look AMAZING but then some look like they were finished by an amateur. If you enjoy sci-fi investigation just toss in Superheroes and that looks like that is what this book is going to be.

Justice League - Good read. I was hoping to see more of the roster but for what it is and what it is supposed to be I enjoyed it. Of course the art was great.

Men of War - Good read. I knew little of Sgt. Rock before the relaunch and what is good about this book is the seeing the world of metas through the eyes of the soldier in a few parts. The art style and coloring style is interesting as well.

Static Shock - Was ok. I like McDaniel's art so that wasn't an issue but overall I didn't get much reaction from reading it. I never read a Static Shock book before and the show IMO looked silly so this was my first exposure to him. I'll give it another issue but if issue 2 doesn't do it for me not sure if I'll go for issue 3.

3. trusty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
    3. Hawk & Dove - the art is even weirder than usual Liefeld art (everyone's eyes make them look Asian). Some art errors here and there (one panel has Hawk's dad with eyes on two different levels of his head), but an okay read though not a good intro book.
    Ugh. I saw the preview pages for it and I wanted to slam my head against the wall. Why in the hell does he get work? Seriously the only DECENT work I've seen of him in recent years are covers that are not inked or colored in the way his art typically is. The first fucking page I saw of that book preview had everyone with the same face regardless of age, gender, body type, and half of them sharing the same 3 expressions that Liefeld tries to draw every damn time. And that was only the first thing I noticed at first glance I noticed way more issues but that is what springs to mind from memory at the moment.
    Last edited by trusty; Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I read JLA#1 in the digital format. I liked the art and the tweaks to the costumes. (Yes, I actually like Superman's new look.) Thought it was interesting to see Superman knocking the shit out of Hal Jordan because I didn't figure it was really in character for what I know about Superman. Usually doesn't he try to use diplomacy before busting heads? I suppose if they're rebooting everything though, now would be the time to change some of his character traits if they're going to do it. I was less than thrilled about the $3.99 price tag that came along with the digital title, but I'm a sucker and I paid it anway. I've even tweeted Geoff Johns and Jim Lee about how that's too much damn money for a digital download. Jim Lee and I actually had a conversation about it where he politely told me to pay the price and get to read it now or wait a month for it to drop a dollar (which is still too much for a digital comic in my opinion.)

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to the shop last night and picked up (off the top of my head I think it was) Justice League International 1, Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics #1.... I THINK lol. Honestly none super apealed after reading Justice League 1, so I picked up a few randoms and left it at that. Unless something drastically changes compared to JL:1, I doubt I'll be picking up many more #1s. Just probably waiting it out and seeing what is getting good feedback. I don't have the cash to keep trying these out.

As for my first read - Justice League - I hated it. Thought it was slow and a boring read. I enjoyed the art, but I just thought the story was weak for a reboot. If it wasn't a reboot the story would have been ok, but the reality is there is a higher bar set for a reboot.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Also - I should note that I think the price point on digital is stupid. I said it on Episode 71 of the podcast, and DC will get less $ out of me now as I'm cheap and lazy. I know myself and I know if they priced them lower I would have spent more $ monthly on comics than I do now. Shame on DC for making such a mess out of a great digital philosophy.

7. trusty Guest

What they are doing sadly is that a month after release is when the price drops by a dollar. Whereas I thought it was immediately 1 dollar cheaper. In the end though I just shrugged it off and bought the digital books when they came out anyway. Was simply TOO enticed so I ended up spending 5 bucks more than waiting 1 month.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Digital comics should be priced at the same price point as digital music tracks ($0.99). If it's an oversized issue, okay, I can see charging a little more, but $3.99, really? Do they think we don't realize how much overhead digital sales will cut out for them? It seems to me that they're just calling us stupid and laughing while they're doing it.

9. trusty Guest

To be fair what helps them is that...well, sorry but I don't have any cleaner way to put it: the average person is an idiot. So what helps them is that the new readers who want the convenience and go digital won't think about it or won't compare because they weren't used to going into LCSs and buying print books to care/know. As for me I admit just being impatient and in the end looking at my cash flow for the month and saying "yea, I'll bite the bullet".
    Last edited by trusty; Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

10. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilliams View Post
    Digital comics should be priced at the same price point as digital music tracks ($0.99). If it's an oversized issue, okay, I can see charging a little more, but $3.99, really? Do they think we don't realize how much overhead digital sales will cut out for them? It seems to me that they're just calling us stupid and laughing while they're doing it.
    As someone who has been in business, and studied business for the last 6 years, I will never understand when businesses do this type of thing. They are looking at it as trying to get the most money for a single product....when in reality, dropping that price way down to even $1.99 for a digital copy is still going to make immediate profits....AND they will sell an exponentially higher number of copies at the lower price point. This would actually make their overall profits higher than what they get for the current price point. Somewhere businesses in the U.S. have gotten this idea that they need to always have immediate increases and higher profit per unit...which is why so many businesses are struggling these days.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast