Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New 52

1. trusty Guest

The digital thing to wait a month is to help keep the brick and mortar stores alive when you think about it. That way it gives them that 1 month to get their potential sales before the number drops by a dollar.

2. trusty Guest

Animal Man - LOVED IT! Decided to give Animal Man a go because of all the praise and I actually eventually got adjusted to the unique art style along the way. Holy shit it was another great read.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdlogan View Post
    As someone who has been in business, and studied business for the last 6 years, I will never understand when businesses do this type of thing. They are looking at it as trying to get the most money for a single product....when in reality, dropping that price way down to even $1.99 for a digital copy is still going to make immediate profits....AND they will sell an exponentially higher number of copies at the lower price point. This would actually make their overall profits higher than what they get for the current price point. Somewhere businesses in the U.S. have gotten this idea that they need to always have immediate increases and higher profit per unit...which is why so many businesses are struggling these days.
    Well said James. I also think they're stupid if they think we don't realize how much money Diamond is taking from their physical copies. We know they can afford to sell digital cheaper.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trusty View Post
    The digital thing to wait a month is to help keep the brick and mortar stores alive when you think about it. That way it gives them that 1 month to get their potential sales before the number drops by a dollar.
    Yes, but they're attempting to bail water out of a sinking ship with a spoon. Just look at all of the comic book stores closing. Digital is going to take over the direct market eventually. Why not give the people what they want and put the majority of struggling comic book stores out of their misery instead of making it a slow, painful death?

5. Jamesdlogan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilliams View Post
    Yes, but they're attempting to bail water out of a sinking ship with a spoon. Just look at all of the comic book stores closing. Digital is going to take over the direct market eventually. Why not give the people what they want and put the majority of struggling comic book stores out of their misery instead of making it a slow, painful death?
    I was just thinking about this the other day...and I think, if comic shop owners are smart, there are ways to survive the changes in the industry and actually thrive into the future...but it will take some big changes in merchandise focus and more money invested into the businesses. I have lots of ideas for this actually....I just need the funding to perform my little experiments....;-)

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a comic book bar / lounge would be a pretty cool way to reinvent comic book stores. Jimmy Palmiotti actually came up with the concept on an episode of the Fanboy Buzz podcast, but I think it could actually do well. A place where comic book geeks can bring their digital readers in, relax with a beer and pizza, read comics and bullshit about what the latest news in comics is.

7. fenix1977 Guest

I read Justice League #1 and it was ok. The ending was way better than the rest of the book. I am waiting on some other books to show up in the mail. I might go pick up OMAC now just for the heck of it!

8. trusty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilliams View Post
    I think a comic book bar / lounge would be a pretty cool way to reinvent comic book stores. Jimmy Palmiotti actually came up with the concept on an episode of the Fanboy Buzz podcast, but I think it could actually do well. A place where comic book geeks can bring their digital readers in, relax with a beer and pizza, read comics and bullshit about what the latest news in comics is.
    When I went to Florida for a wedding the day before I went to look at their local comic shops and one of them had a lounge in the back. Was cool. There were tables for people doing art and sketches a few TVs with some consoles and just for that purpose of hanging out in the shop doing other stuff or comic stuff to get to know peeps. A hangout spot for the comic fans of that store.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are the kind of shops that still stand a chance of surviving the digital revolution.

10. trusty Guest

That store also had an interesting system. They only sold brand new release issues and they sold and rented TPBs. For renting you would pay for a card (like a game card at one of those new type of arcades) and there was a point system. You paid X amount of dollars for X amount of points. Some trades cost X amount of points while others costed more or less points. For people who do not want to keep a hardcopy but prefer to keep a hardcopy it is a pretty cool dealie. Interesting IMO.

To me though what truly was the best thing about the store is that the very front is all Independent comic Publishers while DC and Marvel are in the way back. The store is rectangular as far as the browsing of TPBs goes so it's a smart move to make people see the books they are likely to not be aware of first.

Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast