Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Week 29- Self-Pulblishing

1. Cary Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zcotty View Post
    You don't don't need all that if you work though something like say Kablam and sell it POD.
    lol i had to go bang my head against the wall a few times to make myself stop laughing.

listen, everything Steve's saying is good advice here. it might not seem like it on the surface, but that's where you revert back to the statement he made about things you don't know that you don't know about self publishing.

first off, you need a company name under which to do business. you can't sell products legally over the internet through a website of your own without some sort of business structure. this means the DBA as Steve mentioned. got that.

in most states there's sales tax. doesn't matter for net sales, does matter for cons and trade shows, flea markets and ren fairs. you need a tax ID number. plus you get to buy mad supplies tax free, and they don't cost anything to obtain except a return at the end of the year. got that too.

now, you can sign up for Kablam (and YES they do ask you for your company name. you could do without that i guess but who the hell buys comics from Joey Backhair from Kimshee Illinois? no one. but they might take a stab at Dynagirl #1 by Red Handed Studios. it makes you sound far more professional, even if that's not the truest statement you could make about yourself. and you really want that because seeming professional (regardless of the truth), makes you more attractive to potential buyers, earns you a certain level of respect among your peers, and pays all manner of dividends down the road.

would you rather walk in with a moth eaten box of your comics and plop them down in front of a store owner and see what he thinks, or would you rather walk in with several issues of your comic bagged up and ready for sale, hand the guy a business card with your vitals on it, and start discussing how you both can make some money off these comics you just had printed up? the difference is enormous. perception is 90% of the gig. so do your best to let other people think you're serious.

2. DavidPaul Guest

I can't really say anything about your article. Of course it's good. Always is. So instead I'm going to complain about your logo. :eek: No, sir. I don't like it.

3. DavidPaul Guest

Nah, but seriously. This stuff is gold! There's no reason anyone who wants to learn how to do this shouldn't come in here with an open mind, ready to be filled with the know-how of mining that gold. It's unwise to think of this as something "easy".

4. zcotty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    lol i had to go bang my head against the wall a few times to make myself stop laughing.

listen, everything Steve's saying is good advice here. it might not seem like it on the surface, but that's where you revert back to the statement he made about things you don't know that you don't know about self publishing.

first off, you need a company name under which to do business. you can't sell products legally over the internet through a website of your own without some sort of business structure. this means the DBA as Steve mentioned. got that.

in most states there's sales tax. doesn't matter for net sales, does matter for cons and trade shows, flea markets and ren fairs. you need a tax ID number. plus you get to buy mad supplies tax free, and they don't cost anything to obtain except a return at the end of the year. got that too.

now, you can sign up for Kablam (and YES they do ask you for your company name. you could do without that i guess but who the hell buys comics from Joey Backhair from Kimshee Illinois? no one. but they might take a stab at Dynagirl #1 by Red Handed Studios. it makes you sound far more professional, even if that's not the truest statement you could make about yourself. and you really want that because seeming professional (regardless of the truth), makes you more attractive to potential buyers, earns you a certain level of respect among your peers, and pays all manner of dividends down the road.

would you rather walk in with a moth eaten box of your comics and plop them down in front of a store owner and see what he thinks, or would you rather walk in with several issues of your comic bagged up and ready for sale, hand the guy a business card with your vitals on it, and start discussing how you both can make some money off these comics you just had printed up? the difference is enormous. perception is 90% of the gig. so do your best to let other people think you're serious.

First off: Nice you had a good laugh. And second: I guess I should have made clear that I'm not in the U.S. We here can make something like 3000€ (a year) before you have to register your buisness. Thats not a lot per year, but I have absolutely no wild ideas of making Kirkman numbers (or even Red Handed Studios ones) being a first timer!

Now I agree that having the Studio/company name on the comic, no matter how big or small, gives it that extra credibility and have nothing against it. I work as a 3d freelancer and already have my own company (one man company )so am aware of all I need to about registering a business in THIS country.

Besides I think my company name would look cool on a comic book.
    "A Grain Of Sand" Comics. Hmmmmm.

Again... Nice you had a laugh.

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2