Thread: Comics Are For People 11: The REAL Report from WonderCon

1. MattGrant Guest

Comics Are For People 11: The REAL Report from WonderCon

I kind of had an awakening at WonderCon--

I want to re-focus.

I think I have been a guy standing with a sign that says "The End is Nigh" (Kovacs, maybe?) bitching about the state of comics. I look at my column, and i feel like, I want to say something GOOD about comics but all I can do is focus on what's going WRONG.

Its kind of depressing. And at times I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

My column is called "Comics Are for People" and its supposed to be about bringing comics to a greater audience. Okay. But mostly I'm talking about the history of the direct market and the state of distribution and price points and intellectual properties and all this other stuff that, yeah, I really nerd out and can get into, but I think that really moves off the point, and has little or no appeal to the people whom I want to get reading COMICS.

One of the premises of my column is that there is a lack of new readership in comics.

Sure. There probably is.

But I was sitting behind a table this last weekend at WonderCon and I met and talked with TONS of fantastic kids, all who were totally enthusiastic about comics. There is nothing cooler than shooting the poop with some high schoolers about their favorite comics, and having them show me their sketch books filled with comics and all kinds of cool stuff. It was a rad experience to say the least.

The following things I saw, totally filled me with the joy that is "comic book goodness":

A middle school teacher who brought his entire class to the con on Friday.

A college professor who gave his students extra credit for going-- first I spoke to one of his students walking around, and then later the professor, who told me that he'd been doing it for decades, and continues to see tons of his old students whenever he goes to cons (he called them "con zombies").

Kids dragging their parents, excited about something they saw, yelling "c'mon c'mon!"

Kids begging their parents for "one more comic book!" only to have their parents point out that they'd FILLED their WonderCon bag with comics. And I'm talking in ARTIST FRICKIN ALLEY!

Mini cosplayers, masqueraders, and teenie, tiny, mini Iron Men!

Comics are for People. And THERE were my people.

Pretty rad and exciting stuff.

I went to WonderCon not only representing my comic, but also representing my column here at Project Fanboy. I wanted to talk to people about stuff related to my column and fill the column up with juicy stuff. I couldn't do it. I simply could not do it. I chatted with Erik Larsen for a bit at the Image booth, but I couldn't bring myself to ask him if he thought XYZ about distribution was bs or whatever-- or what he thought about demographics of comics readers-- or any of the garbage you've seen here recently. I just wanted to say "Holy !@#$ what the hell did you DO!?!?" (please, read Savage Dragon 145) Y'know, which is exactly what I said. And it was great cause he just laughed and said "I got you!" and we talked about it for a bit (there is no cooler guy).

So-- It was at that point where I just decided I need to change my approach. I want to talk about why comics are good. Why people should be reading them. I want to bring comics that people don't know about to the forefront to show diversity instead of complaining that the mainstream comics are dropping the ball. I want to be the man on the street telling you whats happening, not the pundit behind the monitor chiming in my negative thoughts about what I just read in 10 other columns.

So this is me and you. I'm turning over a new leaf. I don't know where this column is going to take me, now. And I kind of like that. I do hope you will come with me on whatever adventures the future holds.

I'm Matt Grant.

This is Project Fanboy.

and COMICS ARE FOR PEOPLE.

2. Dingo Guest

Cool sentiment and great column.

It's always nice to take stock and remind yourself of the good things.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

MATT GRANT: REBIRTH a Wondercon Exclusive!

Good to see the clouds part, Matt!

On another note, go check out the pic I just added to SEB-standard week 17! It's Dan Didio and yours truley, decked out in my MASTORISM shirt!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

4. HollyG Guest

Hurray!!!
    Hugs to your positive energy!!!
    XXXOOOO

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Matt, you just got praise for YOUR positive energy, from the QUEEN OF POSITIVE ENERGY, herself!

That's impressive!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

6. MattGrant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    Wow, Matt, you just got praise for YOUR positive energy, from the QUEEN OF POSITIVE ENERGY, herself!

That's impressive!
    For SURE!

and

Thanks, Holly!