Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: SEB-Standard Week 19: I didn't call for back-up! Did you call for back-up?

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-Standard Week 19: I didn't call for back-up! Did you call for back-up?

Hey, gang. Now that we have all these NEW columns popping up, the pressure is on, so I’m gonna have to bring my “A” game. So, I figure I’ll bring my “A” game to talk about “B” list characters from “DC” comics. So, with the help of the alphabet and some dyslexic imagination, I’m bringing my ABCD game to this installment of SEB-standard.

DC. We all know I love ‘em, right? My favorite characters are there. Or, they were, rather, before they died. ::sigh:: We ALL know I’m a BOOSTER GOLD fan. We ALL know I’m a TED KORD, BLUE BEETLE fan. Heck, my avatar says it all. If you need more, check out my profile theme. Feel free to change yours to match. I’ll understand.

Anyhoo…there is a point coming up. [No, really. I’ve seen it.]

BOOSTER GOLD finally got some LOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooong overdue respect during OMAC PROJECT, INFINITE CRISIS, 52, and, most especially, the all new BOOSTER GOLD series. Geoff Johns worked his nostalgic, holistic, revamping, mojo on him and gave him a new purpose, a new direction, and (quite literally) a new family. Dan, I created him in the first place, Jurgens, drew the title and has since taken the writing helm. It’s a great book. Heck, it’s been a DIAMOND TOP 100 seller since issue #1. That’s so freaking amazing!

BLUE BEETLE hasn’t fared as well. He got shot in the head by a friend, and had to re-die to save the timeline. (Jeff Katz told me that that was Ted, alive and well, at the end of issue 1-million, but Katz isn’t on the book anymore, and Didio has claimed to have plans involving “staying dead” for Ted, so it’s all more ambiguous than time-travel itself). Since then, young Jaime (Hai-may, not Jay-mee, get it right, people!) Reyes has taken up the mantle, and the scarab has gone from magical and Egyptian to technological and Alien. Not my cup of tea, but I don’t hate the character. He’s not my favorite. I read his book (I bought every issue) because it was the only Blue Beetle there was to be had. And I sorta like the costume/carapace design. Not what I’d like to see Ted in, but hey, it’s kinda cool.

Againyway, The NEW Blue Beetle series was canceled. Sales dropped off. It happens. My heart didn’t break. In fact, a part of me was glad, as the decline of Jaime Beetle sales, while the BLUE & GOLD storyline, with Ted, in BOOSTER GOLD had high sales, combined with the high sales for the HARDCOVER of the same, plus the JLI Hardcovers, proved my point that sales for Ted are there; A victory of sorts.

So, why, WHY am I about to be forced to pay $1 more ($2.99 to $3.99) for my monthly BOOSTER GOLD, so that DC can strap a Jaime Blue Beetle back up feature in the book? (See what I’m talking about in this article at NEWSARAMA.) Aside from the insult-to-injury factor, that it’s the NEW Blue Beetle, and STILL not Ted, why stick him here? I mean, fine I get the fact that the NAMES “Blue Beetle” and “Booster Gold” go together like Batman & Robin, and even that Booster has popped in and out of young Mr. Reyes’ life, but it’s a not an actual bond. Booster checks in on the kid for the same reason I read the series…it was as a bitter-sweet reminder of Ted. These two characters are NOT, however, the new BLUE & GOLD. In fact, Jaime was part of the RED & BLUE before Kid/Red Devil lost his powers in TEEN TITANS. Despite this, he will be "paired" with Booster at least insofar as they will be sharing a title.

Similarly, Ravager, who is no longer a Teen Titan, will now have a back –up feature, also for the $1 price hike, in TEEN TITANS. Why? Why not just keep her on the team then? If she’s NOT part of the team, why not give her a mini-series for her adventures? Oh, we just had one in TEROOR TITANS. Which WAS pretty good, so why not give her her own mini? RAVAGER? See how well THAT does. Who knows, maybe she could carry her very own $2.99 title! So, why up the price of TEEN TITANS, which will be a breaking point for some fans, especially the many who have been vocally on-the-fence about this book of late.

I get, and DO appreciate, that DC has given added story content for its price hike, as opposed to MARVEL, which announces that 2008 was a record breaking money making year for them, and then ups the price of a good chunk of their titles with no add in page count. But, I’d be HAPPY to pay more for more story if that story is THE SAME STORY I’m BUYING THE BOOK FOR!!! Not, however, if you’re adding in a separate story about someone else, that has little or nothing to do with the main book.

Or, another example, the proposed DOOM PATROL back-ups in the upcoming ADVENTURE COMICS works. Why? What makes that different? Adventure Comics is named to be more open. It has that anthology feel to it, like the days of old. It can house whomever DC wants to give a feature to. Plus, the back-up will be there from the start, and not forced on us in what seems like a too heavy handed “try this, you’ll like it” kind of way.
    Which, I suppose is my point. If you want to give these characters a spotlight, aside from cancelled series, why not do something like Adventure Comics? They could bring back the DC SHOWCASE title. They could pick a few characters, maybe the new BLUE BEETLE and RAVAGER, and have them be staple features, and rotate out a few other stories. DC used to do SHOWCASE this way in the 90s. As I recall, it was a pretty cool book. This could be used to further the tales of DC’s many characters who tend fall by the wayside. They could make THIS book longer, and charge $3.99 from the get go. Heck, with different teams working on their own stories, they could even go biweekly or try their beloved weekly format on this. They could even tie it in with big (or small) events. A story about a new Kryptonian, or one of the new multi-chromatic Lanterns, could be neat.

I guess I’m just not thrilled with the idea of my pull list costing more while they fill my favorite titles with back-up features I don’t care for. Sure, it beats the cost rising and the books not changing at all to reflect it, but I want the change to reflect why I buy the item in the first place. If my dozen eggs costs another dollar but comes with a container of wood-glue, that does me no good.

Sure, you could argue that I’m just bitter because they are inserting NOT TED into my Booster Gold fix. And you’d be right to a point, but it goes beyond that. I’m not usually one for homework in my columns, but I guess what I’m putting out to you is this:

Are you for or against the cost of established titles that you read going up, so that companies can tack on back-up features?
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. MattGrant Guest

I'm glad, at the very least, that DC has decided to add back up features with the price hike. It adds a little value for the reader, and gives cross marketing value to DC. Even if you don't like the back up features, its pretty clear that the other option would be a price hike with NO back-up feature (right, Joe Q?).

I think they should make more anthology type books (like you said) that have a few stories in them, "something for everyone" Make em fat and charge 5 bucks for em. I'd buy it.

----

I was really glad that Booster Gold became the break out character of 52. 52, I felt, was an amazing series and they handled Booster's ensuing popularity REALLY well by giving him such a good series, and by a writer who was involved with the character in 52 (smooth transition for readers). There was a handful of other characters that 52 poised to become successful on their own, but I don't think any of them got quite as good development, post-52, as BG did.

----

Sorry about Ted. (or the "NOT TED") That's sorta how I felt about Kyle Rayner, when he showed up and Hal went out of the picture. Only... I don't think as strongly!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I TOTALLY agree that the extra feature for the buck is better than just the buck.

I think what I was trying to say was that i just think the extra feature should be more organic to the book. And that thrusting an extra feature on a book already in progress isn't the best method of going about it.

You gotta figuure, the extra feature is between 8 and 12 pages. Any more than that would have cost more than $1 more. For fans of the back-up character, it may not be worth it to fork out $4 for 10 pages of their guy, and 20-24 pages of some other story they care nothing about. And for people who are looking to drop, but can't decide, an extra $1 for a new feature that isn't part of the main title may be exactly what it takes to push that book into the DROP pile.

I think starting a title with a back-up established from day one, is a good way to go. But slapping one on two or three years in and upping the price to boot, seems a bit less....for lack of a better term...consumer friendly.

CAT. 5

4. Cary Guest

well, i will say you've got every right to bitch, about the back ups not about Ted being dead. but still, look at it like this. DC put out a weekly comic book for what...two years straight? and people sucked those books up like never before. we haven't seen a buying frenzy like that since Image hit the scene and Valiant reaped the benefits. and not only that but it has made DC the trend setting company again after YEARS of being second fiddle to Marvel. so, with so much consumer capital in the bank, they can afford to do stuff like this. fact is die hards like mr. Booster here are gonna buy the book regardless. you'd buy it if they hiked it a buck WITHOUT the back up. so soak up some new Blue Beetle and enjoy. at least you get extra pages.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Cary, if you weren't 100% right, I'd argue with you!

...and...did you just refer to me as "Mr. Booster, here"? :cool:

CAT. 5

6. Dingo Guest

Just to weigh in a bit here too, anthology titles just don't sell too well.

MCP quietly went by the wayside. Hell, even Brave & The Bold, which was great and had a good marketing push, failed.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

MCP, in its latest form, was a success as a 12 issue miniseries. Currently Marvel is running ASTONISHING TALES as an anthology.

BRAVE AND THE BOLD, didn't fail becuase it was an anthology, BRAVE AND THE BOLD dropped when the ran into some problems and couldn't gow straight from Waid's run to JMS' run, as they had hoped, and instead went with some filler. The Supergirl story and the Green Lantern story that they ran in their both lacked that BNB feel, and should most likely have been done in the characters respective titles. You can't make something like Brave & BOLD work if you use too many characters who already have their own titles. It needs to be someone who would not ordinarily get this kind of limelight who gets to share take the stage.

But, apparently JMS is still scheduled to take over and then it should turn back around.

CAT. 5

8. Dingo Guest

MCP was intended as an ongoing. By Issue 12 it had an estimated, North American direct market sales of 11,757

Brave and the Bold #16 (which shipped the same month as MCP #12) had estimated North American direct market sales of 31,522. That sounds a lot better, but when you consider that #1 had sales of 92,091, and that Brave and the Bold had a star creator on it... it wasn't doing so great even before the fillers.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Dingo, stop eating my baby!

CAT. 5

10. Dingo Guest

I want my baby-back baby-back baby-back ribs.

Sweet chilli baby-back ribs.

Personally, I'd love to see a comic of that nature succeed.

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast