Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SEB-standard: Week 22 - Me, you, and the LCS!

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard: Week 22 - Me, you, and the LCS!

So, I’ve been kind of busy and missed a week or two. I forget. But life, work, and MADDIE SCIENTIST have all eaten up most of my time, so forgive me.

Anyway, when last we had one of these little chats, I was huffing and puffing after the big FAMOUS FACES AND FUNNIES FLASH RACE to commemorate FLASH REBIRTH. Now, god knows we’ve had our share of Flash debates, discussions, and debacles here on PFB, so I’m not gonna get into that. Besides, it’s my column, so I’ll just assure you that Barry Allen is THE Flash, and we’ll leave it at that.  In fact, I’m not even here to talk about the race, per se.

I’m here to discuss the “idea” of the race. Well, not that idea specifically, but the idea of events and things to draw people into the world of comics. I know, you’re thinking “Seb, isn’t this more of Matt’s COMICS ARE FOR PEOPLE arena?” And I’m telling you, “Yesh. Yesh, it is.” And now you’re thinking “Yesh?” And I’m assuring you, “I get a kick out of saying (and spelling) it that way.” And you’re rolling your eyes and thinking “get on with it, ya weirdo.”

So, yeah, it is a very CAFP topic, but I’m going to look at it through some ideas I’ve been involved in.

So, take for example, the Flash race. That was one of those moments where the idea just hit me in a moment of either inspiration or insanity, it’s hard to call. But, it was during a conversation with Shaun (who, for the record, was a victim of my deliberately jumping in front of him in a futile attempt to slow him down enough that Jared could win, DESPITE the way the video makes it look like he crashed into me) at the shop one day. We have lots of interesting conversations at the shop. In fact, I should make one of those BARBER SHOP movies for dorques and call it COMIC SHOP. Oh, man…that could ACTUALLY work. It would probably go straight to DVD, but I’m sure it would become a cult phenomenon!

Anyway, in a bizarre version of life imitating art imitating life, there is more to it than that. I was inspired by the column A COMIC SHOP has on NEWSARAMA. Those guys are always dressing like Skrulls and stuff and hanging around the busy street outside the shop. They’re crazy! They’re also a pretty cool bunch, and are both close enough AND far away enough to be friends with Rick, owner of Famous Faces & Funnies. Which is why, Aaron (from A COMIC SHOP) heard the idea from Rick, and decided it was good enough to use at their store too. I’m such a mover and a shaker. Later, Aaron, Rick, and I would laugh over them liking an idea that they inspired in the first place.

So, the race was a double success, in that was a hit at both stores. Granted, A Comic Chop also had Ethan Van Sciver. He’s a Floridian, so he hits them and Famous Faces for events like these. Granted, most of the people who showed at the events were already comic fans and/or customers, but you see, the point of the race is…it’s an OUTDOOR event. It’s public. People see, and stop, and ask, “what the f--- is goin’ on?” The races were filmed and put up here, and on myspace, and youtube. It got the word out, and generated an interest in both comics and the stores.

The next Wednesday, Rick held a FLASH REBIRTH roundtable discussion. He had Pizza for everyone, and we sat around and discussed Flash, sure, but other things, as well. We talked favorite books, and least favorite books. Rick got all starry eyed over Y the Last man, and Shaun got all enraged over Bendis. I went off on several tangents, as I am prone to do. It was a good time. Now, this may not have been a big draw for NEW customers, but this was a nice was to promote camaraderie among the staff and customers, as well a great way to get people interested in books they don’t normally pick up. It’s one thing when the guy behind the counter, who gets the money from you, says “You should try this” and it’s something else entirely when another reader such as yourself gets that special fanboy tone of voice over why you should check out his favorite book. Combine that with Rick’s famous “Buy it. Read it. Like it/Keep it. Hate it/Return it.” policy and you’ve got the cross pollination of the dorques!

I had another idea that FF&F, and possibly A Comics Shop (Aaron liked it, too) will use, this one for BLACKEST NIGHT. I call it the BLACKEST NIGHT GRAVEYARD OF PRIZES. The idea is to make a little graveyard from little boxes filled with “dirt” (fish-tank gravel, packing ‘popcorn’, whatever) with cards buried in them. Anyone buying BLACKEST NIGHT #1 gets to pick a grave and dig up the card. Some will be gift cards, others will have the prize written on them, 10% off purchase, 20% off purchase, free trade, Green lantern shirt, whatever…

I also had an idea that we’re still trying to iron out the specifics to, for DARK REIGN. This would involve customizing a super-villain action figure into an existing superhero, and writing an index card bio as to why that villain is suited for assuming THAT hero’s identity. They figures would be on display at the store for a while. You get the idea.

A big draw for newbies if FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. I promote the HELL out of it at school for Rick. He gives me posters, bookmarks, FCBD pens, balloons, pins, shirts, the kids love it. I give them as prizes in class. I put my school ID on my FCBD lanyard, and wear my FCBD polo-shirt to work. Rick advertises and promotes the hell out of it. He gets artists to come do free sketches. Derec Donovan (Conner Hawke, Youngblood) and Karl Moline (Buffy, Loners) are staples! Those two are hysterical as well as talented.
    People line up and get their STACK of Free books, rick runs CRAZY specials all day long, the artists sketch ‘till their little fingers come off. A good time is had by all. The store does good business, comics are promoted, new customers are gained, and even those that don’t return regularly, are still back each May. It’s like a mini, genre, county fair. Maybe we can convince rick to get a roller coaster.

Anyway, what are some of the things your LCS does to promote their store and/or comics in general?

And, I don’t work there, but I give Rick, and by proxy, Aaron ideas. What are some ideas you’d LIKE to see stores try?

What can we do to get people into those specialty stores? Because, buying the trades at Barnes & Noble is good, but hitting the specialty store is its own culture. Our culture. How do share that with people?
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    So, take for example, the Flash race. That was one of those moments where the idea just hit me in a moment of either inspiration or insanity, it’s hard to call. But, it was during a conversation with Shaun (who, for the record, was a victim of my deliberately jumping in front of him in a futile attempt to slow him down enough that Jared could win, DESPITE the way the video makes it look like he crashed into me) at the shop one day. We have lots of interesting conversations at the shop. In fact, I should make one of those BARBER SHOP movies for dorques and call it COMIC SHOP. Oh, man…that could ACTUALLY work. It would probably go straight to DVD, but I’m sure it would become a cult phenomenon!
    I would totally watch that, if done right, it would be my new favorite movie.

as for LCS events, mine doesn't do that much comic-related, maybe because it has only been open two years and is slowly gaining some footing. we had a comic book club once a month for a while, but nobody really showed up due to work and other obligations. I think Jon (owner of Monkey Works, my LCS) was trying to get some of the 501st Legion to come down as a promotion for FCBD, but I am not sure if he got that worked out. (a lot of Star Wars fans in my area)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the 501st Legion! Rick usually gets them for FCBD, too. Although, last year they had a guy with Spidey costumes (he switched back and forth between the red & blue and the black) a Star Scream (Transformers) and an appropriately hot Phoneix.

The kids loved Spidey, the guys loved Phoenix, and EVERYBODY loved Star Scream! Who doesn't love giant robots!

And the 501st is always good for an assortment of troopers, snow, storm, and clone; as well as Vader and or Boba Fett.

They can be in the store, but often hang around OUTSIDE, so as to catch the eye of NEW customers. The fact that FAMOUS FACES and FUNNIES is located on right on the side of a major road, makes having the characters outside a decent draw. Better than the Statue of Liberty waving down taxpayers!

CAT. 5

4. LiamBradley Guest

Seb, let's make COMICSHOP!!!!!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, Rick's got this friend with all sorts of neat camera and video equipment, plus he's got a comic shop filled with intersting (and few kinda worriesome) dorques. I guess beyond that it just takes some recordable DVDs and a burner....

This could happen. The first PROJECT FANBOY FEATURE FILM.....COMICSHOP!

I think we're on to something here! It's a good thing I ramble even when I type, you never know when one of my spur-of-the-moment-tangents is gonna be a good idea!

In fact, that's how we got the Flash Race that started this article in the first place!

It all comes around, man! I'm a holistic dorque!

CAT. 5

6. LiamBradley Guest

little nuggets of gold, lurking amongst your rambling.

Dude, I swear to god, COMICSHOP would be fantastic!!

I'd actually fly out there just to make it, I have a few years acting and filming experience!

a Project Fanboy production

7. tiggerpete Guest

while not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I have don some community theatre and stuff, so if you need people (and I am not in school at the time, and work) I would be thrilled to throw my hat in the ring, though I am a little better at lights and sound (was a broadcast journalism major for a semester) either way, it would be awesome to make Comic Shop, or at least see it get made. heck, you could get Kevin Smith involved if things go right, after all he is "one of us", but maybe I get too far ahead of myself. either way, it would be awesome (redundent I know, but it really is an awesome idea)

8. LiamBradley Guest

Aw god, I would love to get this made, no joke!
    That's weird, as soon as I thought of this, I thought of Kevin Smith and Clerks

9. MartinBrandt Guest

Isn't there a movie like this already?

I could be wrong, it just seems familiar for some reason. Perhaps that in itself would be the appeal of it if it does not exist yet.

10. LiamBradley Guest

I've never seen/heard of it...
    it's highly possible though.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast