Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SEB-standard: Week 23 - FCBD 05/02/09

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard: Week 23 - FCBD 05/02/09

Saturday, May 2nd, was FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, but I don’t have to tell YOU that! Die hard comic fans that you are, I’m sure many of you found your way into a comic shop or two.

I, myself, spent the day with Rick Shea and the boys from FAMOUS FACES AND FUNNIES in Melbourne Florida, and oh, a good time was had by all!

I got there early, around 10:45…the store opens at 11:00, but found a decent gathering of people already filling the shopping center. Being the elitist that I am, I called them up, and Jared and Shaun (both famous for defeating me and one for sending me flying in THE FLASH RACE) let me in. The store had been rearranged to provide space for the creators in the back, and with several tables COVERED in FREE COMICS. They had all of this years’ fare, leftovers from previous years, and even a few non-freebies (like Dynamite’s BUCK ROGERS #0) that they were giving away, just ‘cause they were that into the spirit of things!

Outside, we wheeled a few pallets of back issues also marked FREE, allowing everyone to chose five from outside and five from inside for a total of 10 freebies per person. Sales and specials ran rampant, and everyone coming in was issued raffle tickets for the various random drawings.

When the doors opened, the place went from neatly arranged shop of goods, to packed madhouse, people just flooding the store. The Freebies were pawed over, but nobody stopped there. Comics, toys, back-issues, and everything else that wasn’t nailed down, were viewed, shuffled, and eventually purchased. I think someone made an offer to buy Jared, but that may have been his Gypsy Rose girlfriend.

Floridian dwelling comic artists, Derec Donovan (Youngblood, Connor Hawke, Robin) and Karl Moline (Buffy, Fray, Loners), made their annual appearance at FF&F. Having the cruel twisted sense of humor that they do, they called Rick from the parking lot, saying they JUST left and would be there in 3-4 hours. He handled it with a false outer calm that only made them laugh harder, eventually admitting they were right outside.

They sat down to a table already surrounded by fans and newbies alike, all eagerly awaiting their free sketches. First out of the gate was an 8 year old girl named Stormy, who requested that Derec draw her a rainbow. I nearly wet myself! Not to be dissuaded, young Stormy would get back in line several times over the course of the day, having Derec draw her a bluebird and a butterfly to go with the rainbow. Karl drew a lovely and hysterical depiction of NAMORITA returning from the dead in my BRING ALL MY FAVORITE DEAD CHARACTERS BACK TO LIFE sketchbook, while, after much groaning about having to do another sketch in there, Derec decided to stop my silliness by drawing a serious and artsy AQUAMAN bursting back to life from the rocky seabed. How DARE he ruin my stupidity with a serious sketch! The fiend.

(For more on my sketchbook, look for next week’s SEB-Standard column (yes, there WILL be one) about how I beat Geoff Johns to the punch on BLACKEST NIGHT! I think Ethan Van Sciver must have leaked all my ideas back to Geoff. Ethan’s tricky like that.)

Jared started his brand new themed sketchbook, the idea being random characters drawn as the various Lantern Corps members. Karl did Moon Knight as a Red Lantern, and Derec did Man-Thing as a Yellow Lantern...whatever knows FEAR burns at the touch of the Man-Thing! Yeah. Cool.

Derec and Karl were joined by local, and EXTREMELY talented, artist, Joe Kuzma. Joe had a rather involved day, because he had brought a portfolio of some stunning and technical drawings of cars and transformers, which resulted in his being asked to draw NUMEROUS technically specific robots. I did see him draw a rather cool looking Wolverine. It had the unlikely, but exceptionally cool looking, combo of Frank Quitely and Kevin Maguire styles. I didn’t get a sketch from Joe, but we exchanged some info, and hope to work together on something in the near future.

Jeff Christiansen, writer of all those OFFICIAL HANDBOOKS OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, was there, crushing people with his devastating knowledge of Marvel trivia…though naming ALL of the sisters of sin DID prove a weak spot for him! 

In another corner, the thee lovely local ladies, Liana “She” Kangas, Jackie “Tank Girl Jackie” Helwig, and Samantha “Sam” Tinerella (of MADDIE SCIENTIST fame) were drawing sketches, cracking jokes, and generally amusing themselves and the crowd.

CiCi’s Pizza of Melbourne sent over ten free pizzas, which was rather nice of them.

Faces new and old (and FAMOUS) filled the store nonstop from 11:00 AM until about 9:30 pm. The great piles of Free books were greatly diminished, the back issues and trades depleted, the figures ransacked, and things that really wouldn’t move on a normal day flew out of there. Rick even mentioned that they covered a full month’s rent in sales with hours left to go.

Many people were either coming from or heading to X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. Rick had prepared for this, as always. FAMOUS FACES & FUNNIES have long ago allied themselves with one of our larger movie theaters, the CINEMA WORLD Multiplex of Melbourne. They both do some advertising for each other, and if you bring your Cinema World ticket stub (for any even remotely genre movie) to FF&F, you get 25% off one entire purchase. So, for all those questions of how do we get people from the Comic Movies to the Comic Shops, there’s one way.

And, it worked both ways, because people were in and out of that store all day. So we were getting them in from the movies, and sending them out to the movies. A kind of dorque circle of life. Good times, good times.

Happy kids and grownups new to the store were pleased to find out the store was permanent, and not just there for the FCBD event, and pledges to return abounded.

All in all, a good for FAMOUS FACES AND FUNNIES, a good day for Comic fans, and a GREAT day for comics!

One of the several tables covered in freebies!

Jared opens the doors.

....and in they come!

People hit the tables.

Love those Freebies!

A cool Thor and a sad Spidey & Batman stop by.

But Final Fantasy X and X2 star, Yuna, brightens things up!

NEWSARAMA's Lan Pitt takes his BEST SHOT at FCBD!
    Attached Thumbnails FCBD.jpg  
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe Kuzma, Derec Donovan, and Karl Moline sketch away.

Derec renders a Wolverine, while Karl finishes a Spidey vs. Venom pick for a rather demanding young lad.

MADDIE SCIENTIST's Sam Tinerella, along with local art divas, Jackie Helwig, and Liana Kangas, also do sketches for fans.

Sam does a PRO sketch, and we see part of one of her ALIENS.

Jackie and Liana sketch away!

Jared & Shaun man the register.

Quite a day at FAMOUS FACES & FUNNIES!
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

CAT. 5

3. StevenForbes Guest

Cool pics, Seb!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Forby. I wish I took more, but I got too caught up in the day.

I really wish I got pics of Derec's rainbow, bluebird, and butterfly sketches!

CAT. 5

5. StevenForbes Guest

I wish you took more, too. Especially of Jackie and Liana. They're hot, and you can tell them I said so.

If they're ever available and are interested, we could do a short story together, dedicated to their hotness. (No, seriously.)

6. Cary Guest

great stuff Seb! did you guys get the chance to read the Atomic Robo FCBD book? if not get that thing! it's hilarious!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Cary, I've got ATOMIC ROBO, but haven't read it yet.

Forby, Yeah, Jackie & Liana are little hotties. But be warned....they're crazy!
    And both are excellent artists.

In fact, Brevard county Florida seems blessed with talented young female artists.

Sam, Jackie, Liana, and another girl was there with her portaits portfolio...fantastic stuff!

CAT. 5

8. she Guest

This is awesome! Thanks Sea-Bass!
    I am down for doing some comics that is all about myself!
    That would make it too easy on me!

-Liana

9. LiamBradley Guest

OH EMM GEE IT'S Liana from the photos

single handedly proving that there is such a thing as a Fangirl.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Liana,

I STILL want a sketch of Mr. T. as a Green Lantern!

The Green-T Lantern!

With Ginseng, the boy wonder!

CAT. 5

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast