Thread: SEB-standard 26: Declaration of INDEPENDENTS

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard 26: Declaration of INDEPENDENTS

All the comics, independent, throw your hands up at me!!

You guessed it, today I’m gonna talk a little about some of the indies.

No, I’m not gonna get all technical or behind the scenes, this is just a “what I think is cool” segment.

You can agree or disagree, I don’t really mind, but hopefully you’ll give some of these a look. While you’re at it, feel free to reply with some of the indies you read. We can all benefit from a little exchange of good comics!

Ok, I know many people get weird when you roam beyond the borders of MARVEL and DC, so I’ll start slow.

IMAGE. It’s like the toll bridge from the big two into the Land Of Independents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	megaton #3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3742SAVAGE DRAGON. What? I like it. Sue me. Eric Larsen has been doing this self created character’s stories since way back. I don’t think everybody realizes how long this character has been around. Dragon first appeared in a comic called MEGATON (no, not Megaton MAN, that’s different) back in 1986, predating Image Comics by a full six years. Larsen’s art is fun and so are his stories. He has that love of 70’s and 80’s comics that really comes through, while blending in some of the darker tones of the 90’s along with the grand scope of more recent books. It’s good.

Name:	ss4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	3747INVINCIBLE. I got to the party late. I admit that. So, I read this one in trades. Right now I’ve read volumes 1-6. I simply love it. Kirkman really loves comics and it shows. If there’s anything we’ve seen done before in comics it’s the untried kid who becomes a superhero and has a lot to live up to. But Kirkman dusted the concept off and made it his own. Plus the art, be it Walker or Ottley, is beautiful! Minimalist clean lines and a plethora of facial expressions. What more can someone want in a comic?

Now, to move further out into the Indie Sea.

Name:	ss7.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	3750Terry Moore’s ECHO. If you haven’t read his STRANGERS IN PARADISE, you should. ‘nuff said. However, this sort of bridges the gap between everything that is a true independent and the super-hero genre. There are powers, and strange technology, and battles in the desert; but truly this is a book about people. Character driven super-powers stories are often discussed but rarely done right. Terry Moore writes about people first. His stories are about hopes, dreams, fears, realities, relationships…people. Sure a couple have them have devastating powers at their command, but those powers are a part of those people..a part of those plots…they are NOT the end all-be all of the story. Plus, the man can draw!

Name:	ss6.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	3749IRREDEEMABLE. I hate typing out that title full of double letters, but I LOVE reading that book! Did you like Waid’s EMPIRE? Did you enjoy his KINGDOME COME? Then you’ll love this, as it deals with a lot of the same themes. The world’s ultimate good guy goes bad, and not just a little bad, totally, thoroughly, uhm…irredeemably evil! But what Waid does here is more than the story of a super menace, it’s the subtleties. With each deplorable act committed, Waid also shows us a glimpse at the hurt and fear that drove this super-man over the edge. It’s a tragedy, I the Shakespearean sense of the word.

Name:	ss5.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	880.2 KB
ID:	3748HEXED. Like Irredeemable, this one’s from Boom! Sure, it’s over now (it was 4 issue mini), but the hardcover is due out soon! And, I KNOW that writer Michael A. Nelson is from done with main character, Lucifer, the young thief enchantress. The character sprang out of Nelson’s epic FALL OF CTHULU series, but took on a true life of her own, blossoming into her own mini. Spanish artist, Emma Rios, really blew me out of the water with her art on this one. And I’m not the only one she impressed, as Marvel has since used her on a recent issue of RUNAWAYS and Mark Waid himself has named her the artist on his upcoming STRANGE series (as in Doctor Strange). Not really a super hero tale, so much as a tale of self preservation with altruistic tendencies, Hexed was the arcane meets the streets.

Name:	ss3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	3746BONEYARD from NBM.I LOVE Richard Moore’s books. FAR EAST, FIRE & BRIMSTONE, and especially, BONEYARD. The comedy adventure about Michael Paris, who inherits a cemetery filled with monsters. Wise-cracking Sid, the skeleton; Ralph the Werewolf; Nessie, the oversexed sea-creature and her husband Brutus, the Frankenstein’s monster; Abbey the cutest vampire; and of course Glump, the tiny gargoyle with the disproportionately large ego; among others round out the cast. It’s one of those great books that combines warped sense of humor, bad puns, sexy ladies, and bizarre situations. Yeah, it’s a fave.

Name:	uniques-issue01-cover-m.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	3743THE UNIQUES by Comfort Love and Adam Withers. This book is just awesome! If you haven’t checked this out, I suggest you do so. A spectacular story with even better artwork, THE UNIQUES is the story of a group of solo-heroes, heroes’ kids, and former sidekicks who come together to really make a difference. The characters are so well written and fully realized that it’s just a joy to read. Think something like a cross between TEEN TITANS and INFINTY INC (the original, not the 52 spin-off) on their best day!

Name:	ss2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	3745Marc Guggenheim’s RESURRECTION. Oni press puts this out, and it’s phenomenal. Plus, the first trade is 184 pages of B&W story for only $6!! Can you beat that? No. Heck, we’re maybe a year from all of MARVEL’s regular issues costing that! Resurrection is the story of earth after an Alien invasion. For years the “bugs” have been laying waste to the earth. Then, one day, they just leave. The survivors crawl out of their hidey holes and try to piece civilization back together, though some of their own ideas as to what that civilization should be like. Sort of LOST meets WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Name:	SS1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	3744CHARLATAN: PRELUDES from General Jinjur Comics. What if you found an alien artifact that gave you incredible super powers? What if, by using it you became the latest in a long line of universal protectors? What if the aliens who made it told you that in order to save the universe you had to sacrifice your only daughter? That’s the situation Auggie Halford finds himself in this first volume. Gil Lawson writes wonderfully. Like many of the titles I mentioned already, this is another one that gets that sense of wonder and fun that comics haven’t been in years. The big two spend a lot of time trying to one up their last “event” and each other’s “events”. They’ve long since strayed from the telling of fantastic (in the original ‘fantasy” related context, not the modern “really good” context) stories for their own sake. CHARLATAN recaptures that comic magic. And Eliseu “Zeu” Gouveia’s artwork is, as always incredible. Why he hasn’t been signed to the majors, I’ll never know, but in the meantime, I will continue to enjoy his work on smaller projects.

So, there you have it folks, a look at some –but definitely NOT ALL-- of my favorite indies.

Now it’s your turn? What indies do you read? Tell me about ‘em!
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Monday, November 23, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. LiamBradley Guest

Walking Dead has to be the best thing I've read in years. I agree 100% on the Kirkman's love of comics showing through. He's a comic reader who writes what he'd like to read.

Proof is awesome, I've fell behind on invincible but loved it when I was picking it up.

Issue 1 of Chew was awesome, so I'll keep reading that. Loved issue 1 of Dead Run and I'll also keep track of that. Enjoyed Issue 1 of Swordsmith Assassin, I'll keep up with that also.

Fallen Justice is probably my favourite indy series just now other that Walking Dead, though.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I like everyother issue of Fallen Justice...must be the issues Cary writes. That Steven Forbes fella...I dunno 'bout him!

I kid, I kid. I just figured my putting FALLEN JUSTICE in there would have seemed too much like a "Oh, he's just catering to his pals" thing.

It isn't. FJ is awesome. And since Cary is always mean to me about my beloved BLUE & GOLD, and Forby is..well.. Forby, which is ancient Greek for "He-who-wields-a-red-pen-like-a-straight-razor" you know it's not favortism on my part!

:cool:

CAT. 5

4. LiamBradley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    I like everyother issue of Fallen Justice...must be the issues Cary writes. That Steven Forbes fella...I dunno 'bout him!

I kid, I kid. I just figured my putting FALLEN JUSTICE in there would have seemed too much like a "Oh, he's just catering to his pals" thing.

It isn't. FJ is awesome. And since Cary is always mean to me about my beloved BLUE & GOLD, and Forby is..well.. Forby, which is ancient Greek for "He-who-wields-a-red-pen-like-a-straight-razor" you know it's not favortism on my part!

:cool:
    Nah man, those egotistical bastards know for a fact they're putting good stuff out

Kidding, man. Nah I think they know that we're (you especially) honest enough to say "hey wait a minute, that's alot of crap" but probably in a nicer sort of way lol.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's me...world famous for being "nice".

BWAH-HAA-HA-HA-HAA-HA!

CAT. 5

6. Cary Guest

heh. thanks guys! I'm totally digging Echo and Invincible off this list for sure. the rest i'm gonna have to seek out and check out!

7. Cary Guest

Yeah, that's me...world famous for being "nice".

BWAH-HAA-HA-HA-HAA-HA!
    hey speaking of nice...you do still have issues 3-5 for review somewhere yeah? cause...you're WAY behind!

8. tiggerpete Guest

lol, Seb is a slacker, lol

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm building the suspense.

CAT. 5

10. Cary Guest

I'm building the suspense.
    and I'm building a Booster Gold voodoo doll. :cool: thinking about marketing that baby too!