Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Week 47- Superheroes & Magic

1. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    That's like wanting a highbrow version of The Hulk. Fundamentally wrong.
    Yeah. Too bad nobody told Robert Lewis Stevenson.

Pulp Constantine sounds good to me, Seb. I'll have to check it out.
    Last edited by CalvinCamp; Thursday, July 02, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

2. tiggerpete Guest

or a mute Deadpool, I mean who would do that?,,,,,,,oh right.

3. Dungbeetle Guest

Yeah, alright, so I walked right into that one... although Hulk would have been a lot less successful had it followed Jeckyll and Hyde to a T. For a start, Hulk would've initially been a whelp.

I'm wary of the similarity (imagine if someone ripped off your favourite character) although the title "Hex & The City" is enough to let me give anything a try. The series sounds interesting, and I like the idea of it all being set in a quirky, dark, alternate London rather than London itself. The synopsis I just read sells the idea to me better than "pulp Hellblazer".

4. tiggerpete Guest

Hex and the City, what is that Jonah Hex talking about shoes with a group of middle age women in a New York Cafe? might make a good Web Comic, if I could draw.

5. JeffHaas Guest

Very good read. I mostly agree with you, although I do think Dr. Strange has had some pretty good runs. I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that many magic based books do not take place in a place like NY or Gotham for most of their action. People seem to lose interest in anything that exists outside an environment that identify with. Probly why sci-fi books like Adam Strange never did well.

6. tiggerpete Guest

what about books like Green Lantern Corps? It is real popular, and it is set in space, I can't remember the last issue to show Earth at all. Plus, Adam Strange Planet Heist is a great tpb, it is really fun and is a great throwback to classic scifi stories, well worth checking out.

7. JeffHaas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerpete View Post
    what about books like Green Lantern Corps? It is real popular, and it is set in space, I can't remember the last issue to show Earth at all. Plus, Adam Strange Planet Heist is a great tpb, it is really fun and is a great throwback to classic scifi stories, well worth checking out.
    There are always exceptions that prove the rule. Silver Surfer survived many issues until its demise. And Planet Heist, while good, was not a big seller. Just like magic styled books have series like Spawn that sold huge for a long time. Dr. Strange at one point reached 90 issues which is still good for most series. So there are always exceptions.

Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3