Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Week 51- Horror Overview

1. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StevenForbes View Post
    Not Strawberry Shortcake, but strawberry shortcake. See the difference? (Besides, I'm hungry.)
    You're not getting out of it with a semantic argument, either, damn you! :mad:

Don't mind me. I'm recovering from an all-day migraine, so my mood is a little... weird.

There are just so many interesting things to talk about before fantasy that it's not even funny! Lepers, giraffes, how paint is made, how to make crepes, the first telescope, how the early Church fathers tried to repress science, electromagnetism...
    Ah... big fan then. Saving the best for last, and all that.

2. Sliverbane Guest

Not Strawberry Shortcake, but strawberry shortcake. See the difference? (Besides, I'm hungry.)

Anyway, fantasy, when I get around to it (sometime after the Obama administration), should be longer than horror, but not as long as superheroes. There are just so many interesting things to talk about before fantasy that it's not even funny! Lepers, giraffes, how paint is made, how to make crepes, the first telescope, how the early Church fathers tried to repress science, electromagnetism...and if we really MUST talk comics, we can talk about color guides, the four color process, RGB vs CYMK, balloon placement, logo design, coming up with good names for your series, where and how to look for work, professionalism, and all kinds of other things that are more important than talking about fantasy.

So, it's coming. Eventually.
    *SHAKES FIST ALONG WITH MADELF* :mad:

3. Sliverbane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrandt View Post
    The thing with Underworld is that this was never about horror. It has no resembalances to horror at all. It is pure action joy ride. It just so happens what used to pass for monsters are now our villains and heroes of the story. Even then they humanize them so much, be they vampire or werewolf, it doesn't matter what they are doing any more.

Now Hellraiser, Clive Barker in general, that is usually good horror.

Throw some fantasy in there, Clive Barker wrote one of my favorite novels that was part fantasy part horror. It is called Weaveworld. Of course we are talking comics here, but still if you are looking for a good horror/fantasy read check it out.
    Yes, I agree that Underworld is more like an action movie... (As are the sequels) However the protrayel of moody, smartly dressed (like there was a sale at Hot Topic) vampires is just....meh. Did I mention that everyone looks WET in those movies. Like they never dry off? However, Lycanthrops that can use their transformation [at will] like battle armor was....interesting.

I have a love hate for humanized monsters. Sometimes it helps me understand them better. Sometimes I don't want to understand them. I just want them to be...monsters.

Question for the panel: Can horror be insterted in to a story or does the story have to be horror from the outset?

4. MartinBrandt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post

Question for the panel: Can horror be insterted in to a story or does the story have to be horror from the outset?
    I think horror, like any good element, is evoked. So it can be within any story and does not have to encompass the whole. Even Roger Rabbit had a moment of horror for small children.

(As for the wet comment on Underworld, I agree. The lead guy's hair was always soaked it seemed. To be a vampire or werewolf in their world must mean you sweat a lot.)

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, you can add horror and/or elements of Horror to any story or genre.

Just like most horror books/movies/comics have elements of other genres added into them (fantasy, sci-fi, comedy, etc.)
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

6. Dungbeetle Guest

I'd be wary of criticising sultry posh vampires... I mean, it's all good bringing that type of monster down to earth, but the whole point of them, in my mind, is as a metaphor for bloodsucking aristocracy. Hence the men are effeminate and they all wear nice clothes. Well, that's the genre convention. It's been messed with and "brought down to earth" countless times, but there's a reason why it's there in the first place. If you go with traditionally accepted vampire lore them one has to be "sired", which deepens the vampire snobbery. Hmm. Living in the hills, coming down at night to feed off the peasantry? That sound like anybody's landlord perchance?

7. AdamH Guest

I'm still curious about this comment.

Maybe I can write a horror story about strawberry shortcake. Or a horror story about Strawberry Shortcake (TM) (R)

8. StevenForbes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post
    I remember, quite a few years ago, where a story arc in Marvel's Bishop comic won an award for horror. (Yes, I know I went way back. It's okay.)

So, to answer the question, yes, you can 'insert' horror into a story, or even mix genre's. However, I suggest having it be organic to the story. If it's something that just gets tacked on, readers will notice, and you'll throw them right out of the story. However, if it is organic AND they don't see it coming AND it fits...congratulations on good storytelling. Just make sure you have a way out of it. (We'll talk about writing yourself into a corner sometime in the future.)

9. StevenForbes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
    I'm still curious about this comment.

Maybe I can write a horror story about strawberry shortcake. Or a horror story about Strawberry Shortcake (TM) (R)
    I'd like to see both! The first seems kinda Stephen King-ish, and the second would be just great!

10. drgerb Guest

I promise you, no sexy vampires or cursed whiny wolves.
    Hmm... What about a sexy wolf and a cursed whiny vampire? Woo, that's a twist! To the writing board!

And I do agree with Steven. A movie has sound and music. A good movie can show a girl scared for her life wandering around just KNOWing a killer is in the house with her. In a comic? Try putting one character "on screen" in five consecutive panels scared for her life. That'll get boring before it gets scary. Throw in some eerie music on a big screen, some conveniently placed shadows and have freakin' Carrot Top or Pauly Shore looking for the killer, and boom. You've got the audience watching, not bored. Maybe they're just watching to see Pauly get killed, but alas: They are watching.

In comics I think you gotta kinda take a different route. Horror movies are horror. Horror comics, when trying the same kinds of things as the movies, are often bored, or just not as scary. Instead of being able to use music / sound, you gotta go a different route and find something else to use to your advantage when it comes to the medium / story telling. What is that? If I knew I probably wouldn't be here typing it; I'd probably be writing something. :/

Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast