Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 52- Horror: Bring Out Your Undead!

1. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I highly doubt Ennis set out to impose any sort of law about what "real" vampires are vulnerable to in Preacher. Mentioned it briefly before, but the best Cassidy story was were he met a more recently spawned vampire who conformed to all the gothic expectations, and declared him a "tosser".
    yeah I was kinda referring to that story, and how Cassidy runs down the general list of weaknesses and explains why they don't work. and of course Cass shows his perverted sense of justice when he straps the newb vampire to the roof of a church at sunrise for feeding on his innocent (albeit misguided) followers, thus losing his humanity and becoming a true monster in the process. which goes to show you, it is not what happens to you that matters, it is how you deal with what happens to you that makes you a monster, thus touching base with the balance between man and monster when it comes to vampires.

2. StevenForbes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjames View Post
    Interesting column as always, Steven, and congrats on your 1 Year. You might not always be able to see the impact of Bolts & Nuts, but I truly believe your column is impacting writers and creators you may never meet to become better writers. So, yeah, it's something to be proud of.

You've tackled the subject of research before, but I wonder (another week's column suggestion, perhaps) if the topic of Researching Fictional concepts would be worth expanding on. I myself have written about research, but even I wonder where I'd start if I were researching subjects like vampirism or magic, as there are so many different takes on those subjects. Getting just the facts seems difficult. Worth thinking about anyway.

This was appropriate, as the other night I watched the movie "Let the Right One In" a Swedish vampire flick. While it wasn't incredible, I thought it was a cool little movie. While staying true to many of the common tropes of vampirism, it had unique spin and viewpoint.
    Thanks, Tyler. I appreciate it, as always.

And while I've tackled research before, I haven't done an entire column on it. (And for those of you who aren't reading Tyler's column over at Comic Related, shame on you!) I've mentioned it here and there, though.

I don't know if there's enough material to actually do a column on researching folklore. (I like that better than "fictional concepts.") Well, there is, but it would take someone more intelligent than myself to do it justice and not bore people. And, really, despite what some of you may think, I'm not that smart.

Anyway, the general places to start, I would think, are OLD books. Start as old as you can (I'm talking the 50s and 60s, when books like these were starting to become more accessible), and then progressively move forward in order to get a sense of what has and hasn't changed, what's been elucidated upon, and what's been abandoned. I think that would be a great way to start, because you get a nice overview (chronologically, at that!) of how views on the various subjects have changed.

Now, when it comes to folklore, there are precious few facts, and those are often contradictory. There are also regional discrepancies, and some "facts" change as soon as you cross a country border. One vampire trait may be different than another vampire trait in two different towns, where only a small river acts as a border between them. Cross that river, and you're not only in a different town, but a different country. This makes researching folklore difficult.

When it comes to facts for folklore, you have to remember that, even when people were keeping records and were "putting down" vampires, a lot of their "evidence" wouldn't stand up to our 21st century methods. (Then again, the same thing can be said about the use of magic(k).)

Difficulties abound, but as the X-Files told us every week for years, The Truth Is Out There.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madelf View Post

But dehumanize it too much, and you loose what makes it a monster. Then it's just an animal. When the monster is nothing more than an animal, that loses something too.
    Tell that to JAWS!

I think a dehumanized/animalistic monster is more frightening than a humanized one. Something human allows a (however false) sense of familiarity and comfort. It leaves you with the faintest glimmer that you can relate to the thing and talk/emote your way out of danger.

An inhuman monster, like The Shark in Jaws, or Del Toro's parasite-and-host vampires are scarrier to me, because they don't relate. They don't care. You can't negotiate with them, or predict their actions.

Something that just relentlessly comes after you, wanting your death, and you have no idea why -- better yet, you don't even know what it is, or where it came from....that shit is scary!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

4. MartinBrandt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    Tell that to JAWS!

I think a dehumanized/animalistic monster is more frightening than a humanized one. Something human allows a (however false) sense of familiarity and comfort. It leaves you with the faintest glimmer that you can relate to the thing and talk/emote your way out of danger.

An inhuman monster, like The Shark in Jaws, or Del Toro's parasite-and-host vampires are scarrier to me, because they don't relate. They don't care. You can't negotiate with them, or predict their actions.

Something that just relentlessly comes after you, wanting your death, and you have no idea why -- better yet, you don't even know what it is, or where it came from....that shit is scary!
    That is one of my points right there.

I think people are confusing their horror with romance at times.

De-humanize the monster. After all we are talking horror here folks.

5. Sliverbane Guest

All interesting talking points. I have a certain amount of facination with the Aristocratic vampire...but I am painfull aware of the limits of this kind of vamp as well as how much it's over used.

Anyone familiar with the Vampire: Masquerade games? I enjoy the different castes and how they have eached evolved to cope with their 'gifts'.

I am thinking about puting vampires in one of my projects. 'Thinking about' is the key phrase. Firstly, the 'vampires' are not undead. The sun of their world is weak by comparison to the mortal world...So bright sunlight is annoying not deadly. They can eat/drink 'normal' food, but blood is a staple. They prefer mortal blood over blood of other creatures with in their world. Think of it as the prefered vintage. They keep 'cattle' to satiate the demand among their population.

The 'vampires' live amongst other denizens of 'the dark' such as demons [the primary residents of this world] and other nasty beasties. I will admit to making them look human, but I plan to sprinkle in a more primal looking vampire sect to add some spice! (No, Dune jokes allowed) :P
    Last edited by Sliverbane; Wednesday, August 05, 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Fix spelling...

6. MartinBrandt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post
    All interesting talking points. I have a certain amount of facination with the Aristocratic vampire...but I am painfull aware of the limits of this kind of vamp as well as how much it's over used.

Anyone familiar with the Vampire: Masquerade games? I enjoy the different castes and how they have eached evolved to cope with their 'gifts'.

I am thinking about puting vampires in one of my projects. 'Thinking about' is the key phrase. Firstly, the 'vampires' are not undead. The sun of their world is weak by comparison to the mortal world...So bright sunlight is annoying not deadly. They can eat/drink 'normal' food, but blood is a staple. They prefer mortal blood over blood of other creatures with in their world. Think of it as the prefered vintage. They keep 'cattle' to satiate the demand among their population.

The 'vampires' live amongst other denizens of 'the dark' such as demons [the primary residents of this world] and other nasty beasties. I will admit to making them look human, but I plan to sprinkle in a more primal looking vampire sect to add some spice! (No, Dune jokes allowed) :P
    Played VtM many times. I have a special place in my heart for malkavians and gangrels. I love pen and paper games, as a writer, oh the stories that evolve.

Oh and, The sleeper has awoken!
    Last edited by MartinBrandt; Thursday, August 06, 2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: It's sleeper, SLEEPER! Friggen moron... sigh...

7. StevenForbes Guest

She who controls the spice, controls the universe!

8. Sliverbane Guest

*glare*

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Dune quotes!

Bene Jesuit Whore!!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

10. tiggerpete Guest

is it bad that I never saw dune? it seems more slow and plodding than Star Trek, and I prefer the action and excitement of Star Wars. (New Trek was good though) I fully intend to see Dune at some point, but it is not high on my to-do list, should I move it up, or leave it be?

Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast