Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Week 52- Horror: Bring Out Your Undead!

1. StevenForbes Guest

Yep, that's a great movie. Creeps me out, too.

I have some stories to tell that got folded into Group. One of them is about snow. Looking forward to telling that story. Hopefully, it'll cause a strong reaction.

Ooh! Just had a chilling thought! (No pun intended.) Now, to just incorporate it...

2. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrandt View Post
    A very wise director told me once:

"If you can't do it with props, do you really need to do it?"

It's a simple question, but if you really think about it, then it opens up a good way of approaching things.

If you need CGI to make your movie, or make it better, than you don't really have a good movie to start with. Sorry, but it's true. I'm sure we could translate that into comics somehow, but I am tired.
    There are some things that look immensely better in cg. It is hard to get a pitched action packed space battle together without it, although now that I think of it, the battle of Endor was done with models in ROTJ, but it didn't feel as epic as the battle of Coruscant in Sith, but maybe that is because I never saw ROTJ in theaters. I do think that CG has its place in movies, but I feel you can't dismiss any method in making movies, all method's have their merits and drawbacks, and there should be a balance in them. that said, if you can afford to build something, you should build it, but lets face facts, building stuff can be expensive, and cg can be a more cost effective solution.

3. MartinBrandt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerpete View Post
    There are some things that look immensely better in cg. It is hard to get a pitched action packed space battle together without it, although now that I think of it, the battle of Endor was done with models in ROTJ, but it didn't feel as epic as the battle of Coruscant in Sith, but maybe that is because I never saw ROTJ in theaters. I do think that CG has its place in movies, but I feel you can't dismiss any method in making movies, all method's have their merits and drawbacks, and there should be a balance in them. that said, if you can afford to build something, you should build it, but lets face facts, building stuff can be expensive, and cg can be a more cost effective solution.
    You pick RTOJ? I'd pick Empire Strikes Back. That was epic, those battles were intense. So much going on. The point is though, that a lot of hollywood is using CG as a crutch for a bad story.

I had something else to say but got distracted by kids. Oh well, must not have been very good.

4. tiggerpete Guest

I just prefer ROTJ over Empire, maybe I am just a sucker for a happy ending, or maybe I like Admiral Ackbar, I don't know which, but I love ROTJ the most of the Original Trilogy (not wanting to start a debate on Empire v. Jedi, but I figure since it is the third part of the trilogy, and I was already mentioning Sith, I figured it made for a fair comparison) also B-wings and A-wings and TIE Interceptors made the Battle of Endor completely awesome. (I could go on for a while, but I probably shouldn't, I get the drama and emotional resonance Empire has, and the awesomeness that is the Battle of Hoth, but I just prefer Jedi)

p.s. I love all things Star Wars, and I am not trying to put any of it down, I am just trying to explain my preference to one movie over the other.

p.p.s. I get the CG thing, and I fully agree with you, I am just saying that it has its place in movie making, and can be used to good effect if done properly. I prefer a story driven movie to an effects driven movie, one of the reasons I thought Transformers 2 was a pretty bad movie (I think Micheal Bay needs an explosives intervention) and was pretty thin on story, and what was there didn't seem to follow continuity from one scene to the next. also it needed more explosions.
    Last edited by tiggerpete; Saturday, August 08, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not whether or not you SHOULD use CG, but WHY you're using it.

If you're using it to enhance the effects and bring it to a new level that can only be achieved by CG, and you actually have the budget to do GOOD cg, and it helps move the story along, brilliant.

If you suffer from GeorgeLucasitosis, and you just wanna add long and pointless cgi effects into everything you've done, for the sole puropose of screaming "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!", then it's a total waste and unnecessary.

Going back and adding CGI to Episodes 4-6 was pointless. It didn't add to the story, it was just "hey, look now a little robot gets smacked by a big robot".

The Pod race was pointless and went on waaaaay too long, becuase it was just showing off.

If you're using CGI to make armies and landscapes look huge to add to the impact of a battle scene in LORD OF THE RINGS, that's fine.

If you're using it to show Anikin and Obi Wan fight on realistic lava, without endangering your actors and it's important to the origin of Darth Vader, that's fine.

If you're using it to make Dinosaurs that can actually move, so that Jurassic Park isn't filledd with giant flesh eating muppets, that's fine.

And, the opposite, if you're Guillermo Del Toro, and you have the means and know-how to do with make-up and prosthetics what others would do with CGI, then you are right to NOT do the CGI.

If you are the scifi..er "syfy" channel, and you can't do CGI OR make-up correctly, than you just should walk away from the project altogether!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

6. MartinBrandt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post

If you are the scifi..er "syfy" channel, and you can't do CGI OR make-up correctly, than you just should walk away from the project altogether!
    BRILLIANT!

Scifi channel started for the week playing Starwars movies 24/7... I was there.

Then they totally ripped out our geeky little hearts ... friggen mansquito.... wait, how do I not have a job writing this tripe? LOL

7. tiggerpete Guest

yeah, syfy's original movies are retarded, and make student films look like big budget blockbusters. some are just painful to watch.

Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6