Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Week 53- Horror: There Wolf. There Castle.

  1. CalvinCamp Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrandt View Post
    I think he meant the 80's brought us more of a man-wolf, bestial qualities with a human mind, not a complete wolf mode.
    There was the intermediate form, yes. That may have originated in the 80s (though I'd be hesitant to swear to it - I've got a nagging feeling it's older than that, but I can't recall enough to pin it down). I was more specifically addressing the voluntary change and no connection to the moon parts, though.

    Native American lore has some associations here... lots of fun stuff.
    Oh yeah - the skinwalkers (more voluntary changers). And even the Wendigo has a pretty strong werewolf vibe (maybe that's where I'm getting the idea of an earlier intermediate form, as the Wendigo wasn't actually a wolf but has sometimes been portrayed as wolf-like). Lots of fun stuff everywhere. Pretty much all cultures have some sort of werewolf (or were-something) legends.



  2. AdamH Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I think werewolves have to be reluctant, don't they? That's generally what makes the story scary... it's not a "the werewolf will get me if i..." thing, it's a "oh shit look at all the horrific things I did while I was asleep, I ate the postman and humped your leg".
    I don't think werewolves have to be reluctant, I think a lot of them are written as reluctant. You see a lot of whiney werewolf heroes and a lot of "embrace the animal" bad werewolves.

    The book series where I've seen this change is the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter books (I am in NO WAY endorsing these books, there are poorly written and trashy. I consider them my guilty pleasure/afternoon soap opera in book form) where these werewolves, werehyneas, and assorted other were-people(?) are still good/decent people and they've embraced the animal side. They keep it under control using that pack mentality, help new were-people through the first few transformations, etc.

    Also what the author does is dip into the vampire pool and bring sexiness to werewolves, etc. It's not just people turning into supernatural beasts and tearing people to shreds. It's people who embrace the animal and naturally look great doing it right up to the point where they actually turn into the beast.

    I'm actually surprised with sexy vampires all over the movies, hollywood hasn't made a sexy werewolf movie.



  3. MartinBrandt Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by madelf View Post
    There was the intermediate form, yes. That may have originated in the 80s (though I'd be hesitant to swear to it - I've got a nagging feeling it's older than that, but I can't recall enough to pin it down). I was more specifically addressing the voluntary change and no connection to the moon parts, though.

    Okay yeah the other portion, regards to control over transformation I will agree with. I didn't get he was saying that in the article though. Perhaps I am glossing it over in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by madelf View Post
    Oh yeah - the skinwalkers (more voluntary changers). And even the Wendigo has a pretty strong werewolf vibe (maybe that's where I'm getting the idea of an earlier intermediate form, as the Wendigo wasn't actually a wolf but has sometimes been portrayed as wolf-like). Lots of fun stuff everywhere. Pretty much all cultures have some sort of werewolf (or were-something) legends.
    I never saw the wendigo as close to the werewolf, unless it is in the bounds of madness. Here I think we tip closer towards man's fear of him slipping back into his animalistic ways. Of course that is the base fear of the werewolf, a man so lost in the animal that he loses all reason.

    Werewolf is about the fear of losing control. So you can apply that to many myths based in that realm. As such, only the most wicked of men were though to be able to control this. (IE: skinwalkers)

    Now I just had some more ideas, thanks. Time to make some notes.



  4. CalvinCamp Guest

    I may well have misread what Steven said too. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

    And you're right about the Wendigo, it's not truly a werewolf. But it does have a very similar vibe, I think. The human turning into an animalistic monster and preying on other humans thing, and the curse element is in there. There's the victim angle too (the famine element of the Wendigo legends). And there have been stories where the werewolf curse was caused by someone eating human flesh also. So I figure there are definitely some parallels.



  5. Sliverbane Guest

    Werewolves... meh. Not my thing.

    However, I as I thought about it I've read two werewolf novels. One involved a man who was 'turned' while serving in Vietnam - but his transformation didn't take hold of him until the post traumatic stress of the the war sent him to a therapist. The therapist unknowingly triggers the mans memories. The protagonists behavior becomes twisted through out the book - violent thoughts, etc. (There the rage thing) Eventually He recalls his encounter with the beast that changed him in the dark Vietnamese jungle and ultimately the story spirals toward his struggle with his new identity. So he NEVER changes until the very end. I thought it was a fun ride waiting to see if he would give in... And HOW he uses his knew powers.

    The other was a book called Gonji about a Japanese samurai in Medieval France fighting werewolves. Yeah, sounds like fun. LOL


    *glances at her watch, tapping foot*

    ....fantasy. Any time now.



  6. StevenForbes Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post
    *glances at her watch, tapping foot*

    ....fantasy. Any time now.
    Oh, no. We still have to get through zombies/mummies, madmen of all kinds (because I HAVE to talk about Michael and those iterations), ghosts and goblins (which are usually lumped with witches and Were-Locks...I mean, warlocks), and THEN, we get to talk about creating a horror universe: settings, goals, and endings. So, that's four weeks.

    After that, we get to talk about the effects of scurvy, vitamin D deficiencies, doctoral malpractice, crumbcake recipes, how towels are made, and how the 80s produced superior music. That's another five weeks.

    Then, we have to talk about a list of resource books you should have on your shelf. These will be my unpaid endorsements. I'm not going to drag that on and on. That's just a week. Maybe two. Probably two.

    That takes us through the end of October. I'm quite sure I can come up with some more things to take us through the new year, and then I'll probably take the week of my birthday off. I'll deserve a break by then. Then we'll probably have a grab-bag week, and then a question/answer week, and then maybe we'll talk about fantasy. That is, if other, more important things don't intervene, like having to eat or washing my hair.



  7. StevenForbes Guest

    Nope. I was going for the more intermediate form, which also happens to have some sort of control that goes along with it that was done in the 80s.

    (And one of my guilty pleasures is Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. You have the great Christopher Lee in a truly bad 80s movie, with Sybil Danning showing her wares. I love that movie, that theme song, and wanted to let Sybil bite me all over when I saw that movie. Anyway, that movie wasn't truly horror, unless horrible counts. But still, that's why it's a guilty pleasure. I might buy it for my birthday. I have The Howling, and The Howling 3: The Marsupials, but I'm missing the link. I need Sybil!)

    Yes, there are lots of links and myths and legends of were-beasts. Collect them all!



  8. Sliverbane Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenForbes View Post

    After that, we get to talk about the effects of scurvy, vitamin D deficiencies, doctoral malpractice, crumb cake recipes, how towels are made, and how the 80s produced superior music. That's another five weeks.


    LOL!!



  9. tiggerpete Guest

    I don't remember if you touched on it, but does anyone know the origins of the silver weakness? and is it universal, or optional? (I know everything is optional if you can back it up, but I don't want to open that hornets nest right now)



  10. tiggerpete Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenForbes View Post
    Oh, no. We still have to get through zombies/mummies, madmen of all kinds (because I HAVE to talk about Michael and those iterations), ghosts and goblins (which are usually lumped with witches and Were-Locks...I mean, warlocks), and THEN, we get to talk about creating a horror universe: settings, goals, and endings. So, that's four weeks.

    After that, we get to talk about the effects of scurvy, vitamin D deficiencies, doctoral malpractice, crumbcake recipes, how towels are made, and how the 80s produced superior music. That's another five weeks.

    Then, we have to talk about a list of resource books you should have on your shelf. These will be my unpaid endorsements. I'm not going to drag that on and on. That's just a week. Maybe two. Probably two.

    That takes us through the end of October. I'm quite sure I can come up with some more things to take us through the new year, and then I'll probably take the week of my birthday off. I'll deserve a break by then. Then we'll probably have a grab-bag week, and then a question/answer week, and then maybe we'll talk about fantasy. That is, if other, more important things don't intervene, like having to eat or washing my hair.
    don't forget to have a discussion on methods of watching paint drying and/or grass growing. plus a history of sliced bread, was it really so great?



Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Archive Forums (For Archive Purposes only): General Comics Discussion, Original Works, It's Clobberin' Time, Respect Threads, P'wned, General Chat, Beat Down, The Champagne Room (Mature), Marvel News UP TO April 2011 (See the latest news here), DC News UP TO April 2011 (See the latest news here), DC News UP TO April 2011 (See the latest news here), Archie News UP TO April 2011 (See the latest news here), Comic Book Vitamins (See the latest columns here), Comics Are For People (See the latest columns here), Comics & Cinema (See the latest columns here), Comics Pro Prep (See the latest columns here), Bolts & Nuts (See the latest columns here), Seb-Standard (See the latest columns here), Webcomics You Should Be Reading (See the latest columns here), Development Hell (See the latest columns here), The Proving Grounds (See the latest columns here), Pixels Per Inch (See the latest columns here), Bargain Bin Gold (See the latest columns here), Dead Tuesday (See the latest columns here), Have You Considered... (See the latest columns here), Comic Book Vitamins (See the latest columns here)
Project Fanboy is now Fanboy Buzz.
Fanboy Buzz is home to Comic Book News, Comic Book Reviews, Comic Book Columns, Comic Book Forums and Comic Book Podcast
Check out some of our past podcast hosts doing podcasts at GonnaGeek.com. Sci-Fi, Tech, Gaming, Comics and More!