Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comics & Cinema - The Introduction

1. Dungbeetle Guest

New Dredd? The first movie was great at everything except for Dredd himself. I know alot of people hated it for that... but not enough credit is given for how good the rest of the universe was - Mega City 1, the badlands, the Angel family, managing to fit ABC Warriors in there too. The thing that always amused me was that Rico's badge said "Rico" instead of "Dredd". (?)

The Rock as Lobo? You what? Far too clean cut. Jack Nicholson would've been spot on when he was younger. Then again, he could've done a pretty good Wolvie when he was younger. Jackman just doesn't have the snarl quite right.

I think cinema has tended to lean away from the spacefaring characters like Lobo, Silver Surfer etc. because of budget and just how plain out-there and abstract a lot of it can be. Just one look at the changes in scope in Transformers from the 80s til now shows how little faith the movie industry has in the general public to try something a bit spaced out. The modern Transformers movies revolve around Deceptecons attacking Earth and Autobots defending Earth, with some human audience surrogates thrown in for good measure. The original Transformers animated movie was about a massive demon planet which ate other planets. And it had Orson Wells and Leonard Nimoy on the cast. What more sci-fi acolades do you need? But the modernized version, despite being about giant robots, is essentially just an action film. That shift from more pure sci-fi to action has happened in a lot of franchises - Terminator for instance, and from Alien to Aliens. Studios are scared to make movies that don't fulfil a quota of action, so the Lobos and Hellboys are legitimate candidates, while the Swamp Things and John Constantines of the comic book world have no chance making it to the screen without being canon****ed beyond belief and stripped of their essence as characters.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, I'd KILL to see a SLAINE Movie!

Strontium Dog would be pretty cool.

Adam, The Rock? God no. I'm so sick of wrestlers as superheroes. It was to avoid The Rock SPECIFICALLY that I thought of Ron Perlman.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, the perfect Wolverine would have been young Glen Danzig. He had the build, the face, could grow the sideburns, and was the right hight! All they needed to do was gove him the haircut...and cover up the tatoos.

Oddly, he would have made a decent Grunge, from Gen-13, too.

Go figure.

CAT. 5

4. BarriLang Guest

Hmmmm lets see either:

A)"Singer, songwriter, musician, and entrepreneur" Glen Danzig (I googled him)

or

B) Academy Award Winner Jack Nicholson......

Sorry Seb I've gotta side with Joe on this one. Jack would've been way better.

And I didn't hate the Dredd film. The opening scene where he stops a turfwar is wicked. I nearly cried I was so excited. Then the helmet came off and I wanted walk out. I stayed and in fairness the film was ok... I just couldn't forgive the helmet thing.

If the concept art that rebllion's knocking around is anything to go of the new one should LOOK amazing. Lets get a good unknown to play Dredd. That way there'll be no Hollywood execs wanting to see theil million pound actors face.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

You had to google Danzig?

That nullifies your entire opinion!

CAT. 5

6. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BarriLang View Post
    If the concept art that rebllion's knocking around is anything to go of the new one should LOOK amazing. Lets get a good unknown to play Dredd. That way there'll be no Hollywood execs wanting to see theil million pound actors face.
    million pound actor? wouldn't you want a guy to be in shape to play Dredd?

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2