Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Week 57- The Good Ol' Boy Network

1. Dungbeetle Guest

Bane, have you tried writing under a male pseudonym? Something you shouldn't have to do, but might be an interesting/amusing experiment. "Wow, how DOES this writer come up with such convincing female characters?"

Steve - I think any nerdy walk of life is populated by white guys with poor social skills who are secretly scared of other ethnicities. Rock music's like it. Videogames seem to be the same. Bethesda's Fallout 3 is a prime example. Threedog is either voiced by a white guy or the whitest black guy ever. And Liam Neilson isn't a very convincing dad when your character is black... "in American comics, you stand a better chance of success if your lead is a white male". And movies, for that matter, unless it's someone really well known like Will Smith or Denzel Washington.

2. JohnLees Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post
    The title of this weeks column struck me as....um...uncomfortable. But after reading I seem what you mean... Get connected.

Would I call it 'Good ol'Boys Network'? Nope. Maybe that's what it is. A bunch of 'old boys' calling the shots. Looks bleak for a female. Especially a black female. Is there a column in the future talking about females in the comics industry. Or are they so few and far in between that we're not worth a mention? I know PFB features female artists, etc. But it doesn't come up much in the columns discussion. I've only met ONE female comic artist [She penciled and inked] in my life. And I don't even know if she's still doing it anymore.
    Interesting point you bring up, Silverbane.

One small positive note on this could be that Secret Six, one of the best titles in DC's entire lineup, is both written by a woman (Gail Simone) and drawn by a woman (Nicola Scott), so there are opportunities out there for women wanting to be involved in comics.

In one of my Comic Book Club planning sessions, one of the topics I worked out was something on the theme of "Gail Simone: The Female Voice In Comics". I think how she broke into comics is an interesting story, and there's an interesting "narrative" behind a column there. But really, the difficulty in such a column, and a compliment to Mrs. Simone, is that she's at a stage where she isn't really known for her "female voice" - she's shown with the likes of Villains United and Secret Six she can do the "guy's stuff" as well as anyone.

3. tiggerpete Guest

I love Secret Six, it is one of the most well written series on my pull list, and easily the first thing I read when I pick up my comics. I know Gail Simone writes Wonder Woman too, but I can't say I have read any of it since Amazons Attack killed my interest in the series. (although I like books where WW is involved, like JLA, and certain guest appearances, so maybe I should give it a shot)

4. Sliverbane Guest

Thanks

Thanks for the responses everyone! As well as the links and information about female in the comics industry.

I am not politically correct. As a matter of fact, to me, trying to be PC does more harm than good. I call 'em like I see 'em, and I'm steady. This means that, for the people who know me, they know that what they see is what they get. For those that don't, they can look to see if I equivocate, and if I don't, if I'm worth getting to know.

I understand that the title is somewhat provocative. It also happens to be true, and as such, I make no apologies for it. If you don't like the terminology, put in the work for a few generations to change it. I wish you luck with it.
    Of course! I'd never ask somebody to sugar it up. That's why I said 'Maybe that's what it is' Because it is...what it is. Right? So we, as in the next generation, have to influence change. I get that.

Bane, have you tried writing under a male pseudonym? Something you shouldn't have to do, but might be an interesting/amusing experiment. "Wow, how DOES this writer come up with such convincing female characters?"
    Yes, I have. I've just used my last name Michael and I've seen 'different' reactions when I ask for critique. I appreciate that you mentioned I shouldn't have to do it - but I'm not sore about it. If it gets me past some preconceived notions, so be it! After all, there's a certain amount of pleasure in the reveal. 'A girl did that?' Yeah, SHE did... [insert gratuitous explicative here]. :o

5. brianaugostino Guest

Steven, I'm new to this website and just wanted to say how awesome your columns are. Both this one and the Proving Grounds are absolutely fascinating. The amount of insight is truly staggering. Thank you for all the tips and hints. I'm just a regular guy who loves comics but I started writing in May. I had an idea for a story and I'm running with it. I would love to get to the point where I can send it to your proving grounds. Thanks again for all the articles.

6. JohnLees Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianaugostino View Post
    Steven, I'm new to this website and just wanted to say how awesome your columns are. Both this one and the Proving Grounds are absolutely fascinating. The amount of insight is truly staggering. Thank you for all the tips and hints. I'm just a regular guy who loves comics but I started writing in May. I had an idea for a story and I'm running with it. I would love to get to the point where I can send it to your proving grounds. Thanks again for all the articles.
    Welcome to Project Fanboy, Brian!

And yes, you echo how many of us feel. Steven Forbes' Bolts & Nuts has now provided us with over a year of consistent excellence, and Proving Grounds is brilliant too. I was late to the party, so I felt like so much invaluable knowledge was being crammed into my skull during one extended catch-up session. He's changed the way I look at comics. Looking forward to today's column!

7. StevenForbes Guest

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate it.

When you're ready to send something over to The Proving Grounds, just follow the rules and send it over. That column lives and dies by reader participation. This one'll keep chugging along until I run out of steam or time (or both).

Thanks again, and I'm glad to be of some help.

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2