Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Week 59- Fantasy Overview

1. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerpete View Post
    yeah, but how well do the comics conform to the fantasy ideas? I get that the movies are fantasy, but the Star Wars galaxy is a big place and the comics can fulfill different roles in fiction from romance to horror
    Of course they can. I don't know how the spin-off comics have handled it, but the Star Wars universe, with its strong magical elements, was constructed as disguised fantasy. That's all I was getting at.

2. BarriLang Guest

Greedo shooting 1st... that's pure fantasy.

3. tiggerpete Guest

the real fantasy is Greedo shooting at all, Han gunned him down cold blooded, which was awesome, to quote the Good the Bad and the Ugly, "If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk"

4. AdamH Guest

Quote Originally Posted by madelf View Post

Elfquest?

People told Wendy and Richard Pini that "no one reads fantasy comics" too, yet the comics they created have a following that goes back over thirty years.
    Meh, going back to my hypothetical scenario, this one has gotten decent word of mouth and it does have a loyal fan base, but I wouldn't say it's popular or widely known as say Batman or Captain America in the comic book circles, or LOTR in literature circles.

Elfquest proves a fantasy comic can be somewhat popular and generate a loyal fanbase. As it's only one comic and there hasn't been another American fantasy comic to my knowledge that's been moderately popular or generated a fanbase like Elfquest, I'd say it's the exception and not the rule for fantasy comics.

5. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
    Meh, going back to my hypothetical scenario, this one has gotten decent word of mouth and it does have a loyal fan base, but I wouldn't say it's popular or widely known as say Batman or Captain America in the comic book circles, or LOTR in literature circles.

Elfquest proves a fantasy comic can be somewhat popular and generate a loyal fanbase. As it's only one comic and there hasn't been another American fantasy comic to my knowledge that's been moderately popular or generated a fanbase like Elfquest, I'd say it's the exception and not the rule for fantasy comics.
    Oh, come on. "Somewhat popular"? Most comic creators can only dream of one day having a comic (regardless of genre) half as "somewhat popular" as Elfquest. Ask anyone who has a passing aquaintance with comics to name a popular fantasy comic, and they'll probably either tell you Conan (who wasn't originally a comic character, so he probably shouldn't count) or Elfquest. If they're a little more involved in comics, they might say Sandman or Fables. If they want to stretch the genre slightly, they might say Hellboy. But Elfquest will be on their list. Forget fantasy novel to comic adaptations - how many comics have been adapted to novels? You can add Elfquest to the list.

Do you really think that something has to be a household name to "work" as a comic? Because that's what you've apparently chosen as defining anything more than "meh, somewhat successful". No newer comic (fantasy or otherwise) is going to be as widely known as Batman, Captain America, or LOTR. Captain America has been around for almost 70 years, Batman has been around for over 70 years, and Tolkien wrote the first high fantasy novel (defining the entire sub-genre), also over 70 years ago. Nothing in the entire fantasy genre (in or out of comics), short of Conan, can compare to that. If the bar for what "works in comics" is set that high, then nothing any of us can do will work in comics (at least not before we're dead).

Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5