Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TPG: Week 38- Joe Webb

1. BarriLang Guest

I'm from the UK! Nothing deep about me.

Michael Bay has more depth than me.

2. Dungbeetle Guest

Hell, I'd settle for shallow and meaningful.

Re: tourettes. I'm not a huge fan of asterixed captions saying "see issue 74254325" or "translated from mandarin". Maybe if it's that much of an issue I should just change the word coprolalia for tourettes. Still, it's reinforcing the common misconception that all tourettes involves cursing if I do that. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with making a reader have to go and look something up elsewhere. I'll think about it some more though, maybe just call it coprolalia type tourettes or something.

Direction I was going with this was, instead of having some gorgeous chiseled X-men type characters, you've got these various kids all from a fictional council estate (imagine the PJs), some of whom have ESP or other mental powers, but it only seems to be kids with something else "wrong" with them. Adults try to exploit them for various shady ventures through the building of the new academy, but rather than it being a safe-haven like the Xavier institute it's actually for training psychic spies and whatnot. The underlying theme is that only the kids have these powers, while adults can't do this kind of stuff (much to their frustration) because they've stopped believing. It's also a comment on how we pathologise everyone and put them into categories - which has something to do with American therapy culture coming into the UK. We can't just be shy, short tempered, or whatever anymore, everyone has to have some kind of syndrome.

I'll be off now, to make those changes (which will be easier to do on my powerpoint sketches than on word). And I'll try to focus more on over-describing everything like an autistic court scribe, just incase someone who's been at art school for the best part of a decade can't draw "sheepish".
    *hides*

But seriously, thanks. I'll keep on trying to think more visually and not take anything for granted. I was just irked that Steve's indignation at my apparent faux pas deserved to take up half of his conclusion.

3. jamesfairlie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BarriLang View Post

Don't tell that to the Americans

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarriLang View Post

BWA-HAA-HA-HAA-HA-HA-HA-HAA-HA-HAA-HA-HAA-HA-HA!!!!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

5. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    And I'll try to focus more on over-describing everything like an autistic court scribe, just incase someone who's been at art school for the best part of a decade can't draw "sheepish".
    *hides*
    Smartass.

The thing with sheepish is... it's a more subtle emotion than "angry" or "sad" or "happy", and subtle emotions just don't carry well in still images, no matter how good the artist is. It's just one of the drawbacks to comics. We have to live with it or write prose (or plays). If you don't believe it, just try capturing "sheepish" in a photograph of a face (just a face, because that's all you were giving the artist in that initial description) and show it around. See how many people know right away what emotion you're trying to show.

If the artist has a clear idea of what you're looking for when you say "sheepish" and you've given him the lattitude to use body language to help support the expression... then it might get across to the reader. Or it might (and is honestly more likely to) go right over their heads anyway.

Regarding the asterixed captions...
    If you really don't like them, it's probably not that big of a deal if you don't define it. There are dictionaries, encyclopedias, the internet... if someone wants to know, they can find out.

But it occurs to me (since, in your post, it seems you have some knowledge and investment in what you're talking about) that it might be kind of cool to include a short article in the comic, talking a little about Billy's condition, and helping inform the reader on the reality behind the story. Not only would that take care of defining Coprolalia, but it could be a nice bit of education and might even help the reader connect with the character on a deeper level. Just a thought.

As for Steven's indignation...
    Yeah, he can get his teeth into something and shake it till it's well past dead. But that's Steven. Delicate he ain't. But I figure weathering the occassional tirade is just the price we pay for the insight he can provide. Just take the meaning behind what he says, and don't worry too much about how he says it.

Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3