Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comics & Cinema - What Makes a Good Comic Book Movie?

1. JayKatz Guest

Comics & Cinema - What Makes a Good Comic Book Movie?

What makes a good comic book movie (Part 1 of 2)? This seems to be the biggest question in Hollywood, but is always a subject for debate amongst fanboys. Let’s go down a small list of what it really takes to pull off this feat. Hollywood does have a pulse on the comic industry in regards to knowing that comic book movies make MONEY. If the movie is done ‘right’ though then Hollywood stands to make some serious ridiculous cash as opposed to just making some scratch. Don’t believe this point? Well look at the opinions of most (….most, relax if you’re not one of ‘them’) of the fanboys as far as the Spidey movies go. It went from a resounding ‘hell yea’ to a ‘pfft, whatever’ in the last film. The first Spider-Man movie is essential what makes a good film, the writing. If you do not have a well written script, fanboys will take notice and rip it apart. It’s a 100% fact. Like stated before, the very first Spider-Man movie was a big success to many comic fans. It gave the innocents and lure that is needed. The latest movie with Venom, Sandman and new goblin was just too ‘Hollywood’. We can all hope that the next Spider movie gets back to some basics and steers a little bit away from the effects to give us some good storytelling. It’s not that fans do not like special effects, but to have the effects be the story instead of the other way around is just bad movie etiquette. So with a lot of talk of Spider-Man 4 coming in 2011, it really is important to get back on track as far as storytelling is concerned or the whole lure of the Spider-Man on film will fizzle out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	spm4.gif
Views:	40
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	5571Click image for larger version

Name:	venom.gif
Views:	43
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	5569

Venom was announced to be spinning off in his own film as an anti-hero. This will be a very interesting film if it’s kept as a dark one. Venom is a dark mysterious character that needs to be a complex, strange thing that is hard for ‘us’ to understand. They shouldn’t make it to where Venom is easily understood and we get why he is the way he is. Keep it dark and keep it unexplained. The unexplained would prompt debate and interest as to ‘who do you think Venom is and what does he desire so much?’

Writing is the key to success in any movie genre, that’s understood. But when you’re talking comic book fans, you best get it right and you best not make any of us scratch our heads saying ‘huh?’ Superman unfortunately fell into the whole bad writing area. While the premise was to re-introduce Superman to the world, it was a bad one. Guess what Hollywood (or DC) we ALL know who Superman is! Do not re-introduce us, but instead get to some good story and fighting going on against someone other than the criminal mastermind himself Lex Luthor. Yes again, we ALL get it, Lex is smart, but Superman is smarter. Who cares about Lex anymore?! Why is it that the best Superman movie ever made was from 1980?? That’s 29 years ago! It’s simple actually. Great storytelling and villains! Yes REAL villains, like as in bad guys with powers. The special effects are mediocre at best, but it’s still a great story here. Superman actually fights bad guys from another planet and gets his ass kicked! This is fun, isn’t it? Guess what folks, Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) played a role as the criminal mastermind that didn’t have much to do with dealing with Superman himself. General Zod (Terence Stamp) did all of the dealing with Superman and it was brilliant. “Kneel before Zod”; classic stuff here folks. Do we have a moment like this at all in the latest Superman movie? The answer is a resonant NO.

Name:	supeII.gif
Views:	46
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	5566Click image for larger version

Name:	supereturns.gif
Views:	37
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	5567Click image for larger version

Name:	ZOD.gif
Views:	41
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	5570

There is a very big factor that I have been saying for years the moment I saw the promo picture, the first look if you will at the Superman costume from the latest film. Anyone who knows me and has read any forums or my articles knows how I feel about this. The costume needs to be changed. Keep the ‘S’, it’s Iconic blah blah blah, I get it. Here is the thing. In a marketing class in college they will tell you that any product you ever sell, the ‘eyes’ are sold first. The eyes tell the brain if it’s worth your time and effort to bother with moving on to the next phase. If you set the ‘eye appeal’, they will come. Therein lays the problem with the newest installment of Superman. The costume looked like it was from the old I Love Lucy episode where Superman comes through Lucy’s window after getting her off the ledge. It looks that old, that vintage. There is nothing wrong with old school, nothing. If old school worked why did they keep Batman’s costume from the first Tim Burton movie? Or even update the costume FOR the Tim Burton movie? The Batman movies are good, (minus George Val and Arnold) because they keep the eye appeal first and foremost. Yes the Clooney and Val movies were dopey, did you see those costumes?? Who was taking that seriously? No one, they bombed. Fast forward to Christian Bale, put together a very good script with some cool duds and you have peoples’ attention again. Does this work all the time? No it doesn’t. Could Halle Berry look any hotter in that Cat suit? (Michelle maybe?) Wait one better, Jennifer Gardner as Elektra, I mean really, wow! The eyes sold right away, the script said otherwise. That said it was the initial sale of that suit that grabbed the audience’s attention. Getting back to Superman, you have to be able to get that first jump on a viewer to say to themselves ‘Hey what’s this about? This looks cool.’ Get the viewers attention THEN give them a good script, you have gold. Superman’s costume HAS to be modernized. Wizard magazine a few years back gave a great article on what if DC had an Ultimate line like Marvel has? They showed various artist renditions of ‘updated’ DC heroes and the Superman update was spectacular. It kept the ‘S’ while still maintaining that ‘Yes I am Superman and I’m a bad ass’. Why not try to update the costume? It makes all the sense in the world here. It worked for Batman! Let the debate rage on, I say Superman needs a makeover in the movie industry. Get him to fight some cool villains, NOT Lex (again). Let Hollywood show why Superman is the baddest man on the planet.

Name:	SUPEWIZARD.gif
Views:	47
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	5568Click image for larger version

Name:	balebatman.gif
Views:	41
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	5572Click image for larger version

Name:	batmanstupid.gif
Views:	141
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	5573

Name:	DD.gif
Views:	42
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	5564Click image for larger version

Name:	ELEKTRAOMG.gif
Views:	42
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5565Click image for larger version

Name:	CATBERRY.gif
Views:	66
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5563
    Daredevil was one of those movies you felt either real bad going in or you felt real well. I for one did not like the choice of Ben Affleck as Matt Murdock, but I was sold on the eye candy. It did peek my interest enough to see it. I loved the dark ambiance it was set in. It made me feel like the comic book was alive. I might be the only comic fan to actually be ballsy enough to say this, but I didn’t think Ben Affleck was that bad as Murdock. It was the villain, not Bullseye, but the Kingpin I had a big problem with. I love Michael Clarke Duncan, I just think he was completely miscast here. It ruined the movie for me personally. If a different actor portrayed Kingpin, I’d be a happy Daredevil movie guy right now. Jennifer Gardner I thought played a very sexy Elektra. She held her own enough to get her own movie. Elektra was another one of those movies I wanted to like going in, but quickly found out along with all the other movie goers that ‘acting’ needs to play a huge part in a success of a movie. If you don’t believe the acting, you don’t like the movie. The Elektra movie in my opinion had huge potential to be a good film. It’s unfortunate that the acting skills fell short as well as the script.
    So this ends the first of a 2 part in Comics & Cinema, come back next time as we all debate ‘What makes a good Comic book movie?’

See you all soon and remember to turn off your cell phone when reading this article. We need quiet in this theater.
    Jay Katz
    (www.investcomics.com)

Remember to Visit www.comicnews.info & www.projectfanboy.com for All New Articles from InvestComics. Get all of the mentioned Comics at www.zaldiva.com. Don't miss out on all the happenings on The Outhouse at www.theouthousers.com

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

First, I agree about Spiderman III being too Hollywood, and not enough plot.

Second, Venom is neither Dark, nor mysterious. The character is lame, and the fact that they jumped to him as quickly as they did, when Spider-man has one of the largest and coolest rogues galleries in comics is nothing short of a crime.

Third, that new Superman design you found is crap. It looks like a '90s Image character. Christopher Reeve proved that the original costume DOES WORK on the big screen. Plus, forget iconic for a second, and consider that Superman falls just short of Mickey Mouse as one of the most recognized characters WORLD WIDE. Why would you change the costume when it is so marketable and familiar? It gives you more wiggle room with your casting, as, even if they aren't the perfect fit, the costume MAKES them Superman. I didn't think Brandon Routh would work, until I saw him in costume, and even that was muted and the shorts were shrunk to make me think maybe the "S" stood for Stripper, but it was still closer than that ridiculous design.

You say Superman's costume HAS to be modernized. Really? If you HAVE to change the costume from Superman's than why bother making a Superman movie? Sure, the X-Men opted for leather over spandex. Who cares? That idea makes sense, and those characters have changed their costumes within the comics a zillion times anyway. Superman's look has been tweaked, the boots have changed, the S size has changed, but overall, it's a brilliant design that has withstood 75 years. Plus, unlike other characters, his comes with the built in explanation of being An Alien Design made of Alien materials, which helps justify it looking "strange" or "out of place".

Fourth, quit pointing to The Batman franchise. Sure, the movies are good, but they aren't BATMAN. Batman should be the smartest, cleverest, most cunning, detective out there. The Bat films depict an idiot, who couldn't find a clue without Morgan Freeman, Alfred, and Gordon to hand it him; who relies entirely on his tech. rather than his brain.

Fifth, Daredevil sucked and it had nothing to do with Michael Clarke Duncan.
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Monday, October 19, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

3. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    Wow.

First, I agree about Spiderman III being too Hollywood, and not enough plot.

Second, Venom is neither Dark, nor mysterious. The character is lame, and the fact that they jumped to him as quickly as they did, when Spider-man has one of the largest and coolest rogues galleries in comics is nothing short of a crime.

Third, that new Superman design you found is crap. It looks like a '90s Image character. Christopher Reeve proved that the original costume DOES WORK on the big screen. Plus, forget iconic for a second, and consider that Superman falls just short of Mickey Mouse as one of the most recognized characters WORLD WIDE. Why would you change the costume when it is so marketable and familiar? It gives you more wiggle room with your casting, as, even if they aren't the perfect fit, the costume MAKES them Superman. I didn't think Brandon Routh would work, until I saw him in costume, and even that was muted and the shorts were shrunk to make me think maybe the "S" stood for Stripper, but it was still closer than that ridiculous design.

You say Superman's costume HAS to be modernized. Really? If you HAVE to change the costume from Superman's than why bother making a Superman movie? Sure, the X-Men opted for leather over spandex. Who cares? That idea makes sense, and those characters have changed their costumes within the comics a zillion times anyway. Superman's look has been tweaked, the boots have changed, the S size has changed, but overall, it's a brilliant design that has withstood 75 years. Plus, unlike other characters, his comes with the built in explanation of being An Alien Design made of Alien materials, which helps justify it looking "strange" or "out of place".

Fourth, quit pointing to The Batman franchise. Sure, the movies are good, but they aren't BATMAN. Batman should be the smartest, cleverest, most cunning, detective out there. The Bat films depict an idiot, who couldn't find a clue without Morgan Freeman, Alfred, and Gordon to hand it him; who relies entirely on his tech. rather than his brain.

Fifth, Daredevil sucked and it had nothing to do with Michael Clarke Duncan.
    Sebastian....Why so serious? You seem so angry lol. Chill we're all here to have some fun and OPINIONS right?

Venom - he might be 'lame' as you say, but the truth is Venom is one of the most popular villains in the Spidey gallery. Like it or not, it's just a fact. Hollywood seems to think they could do something with this particular villain as a solo act rather than say Lizard or Mysterio. 2 picks i'd want to see before Venom myself, but if Hollywood picks Venom I'll just go along with it because I am a comic book fan first and foremost. It might be good, you never know.

I like the new design, it should not be exactly to that style, you are correct in that it might be 90's, but if tweaked i think it would work. If you followed the marketing part of the article you'd realize that a FACT in marketing is in the 'eyes'. Ever see a trailer for an upcoming movie and say "wow that LOOKS great" or "That LOOKS lame". You'd never say "Wow that seems to be written well." lol. The eyes have it! The old style Supes costume just doesn't seem to go over these days as far as the big screen goes. The film needs a very strong script in order to get past the goofy-ness of the tights. OR just tweak it to bring it more up to date. Again my opinion.

Batman - my opinion, i like the movies. Minus George and Val. I could nitpick at every movie i've ever seen and find something wrong with every single one of them. I personally go to the movies to be entertained, to escape, not to figure out why does this happen or not happen, who cares? I'm looking to have fun not leave aggravated lol. It's when you have a movie like Transformers 2 that covers storyline with special effects that it becomes a serious problem because now you're just sacrificing a fun movie to much to do about nothing.

Daredevil - I liked it in some ways. I think it really worked in many areas. Again My opinion.

So lets have some more dialog and not take things so personal or seriously.

4. JohnLees Guest

On the subject of Michael Clarke Duncan as The Kingpin.... I find it funny that there was so much controversy at the time amongst fanboy circles over them casting a black man in the role, but when the movie came out, the character's color was the least of his problems.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not angry, but I do sound that way on the internet. I haven't figured out how to type so my mad giggling comes across.

I've learned to live with it.

And, as a matter of fact, when I see a movie trailer I DO think to myself, wow that looks well written, or not as the case may be. I look to see if the trailer indicates the movie has some form of plot worth following, or cool and interesting concepts.

Eye candy is a low indicator of my caring for a movie or not.

Most of the people I associate with feel the same way. With today's effects and movie budgets, ANY movie can look good. I want one with a story that doesn't suck, too.

Besides, a few tweaks here and there are fine, but Hollywood doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. They end up tweaking the character until he/she ISN'T the character anymore. Which defeats the point of making the adaption in the first place.

Knowaddamean?

CAT. 5

6. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLees View Post
    On the subject of Michael Clarke Duncan as The Kingpin.... I find it funny that there was so much controversy at the time amongst fanboy circles over them casting a black man in the role, but when the movie came out, the character's color was the least of his problems.
    Dude, no one said anything here about Michael being black. I personally could care less, it was Michael in that role that just didn't work that's all.

7. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    I'm not angry, but I do sound that way on the internet. I haven't figured out how to type so my mad giggling comes across.

I've learned to live with it.

And, as a matter of fact, when I see a movie trailer I DO think to myself, wow that looks well written, or not as the case may be. I look to see if the trailer indicates the movie has some form of plot worth following, or cool and interesting concepts.

Eye candy is a low indicator of my caring for a movie or not.

Most of the people I associate with feel the same way. With today's effects and movie budgets, ANY movie can look good. I want one with a story that doesn't suck, too.

Besides, a few tweaks here and there are fine, but Hollywood doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. They end up tweaking the character until he/she ISN'T the character anymore. Which defeats the point of making the adaption in the first place.

Knowaddamean?
    Well to think to yourself 'wow that looks well written' is a rare breed imo. I think its great actually. I usually have friends and family and people i have marketed over the years say 'that looks good', thus having their eyes buy the product first. Yes i do agree though that with all the special effects with less plot does suck, i do fall victim to the marketing scheme of the movies like 2012. It just LOOKS cool lol.

8. JohnLees Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JayKatz View Post
    Dude, no one said anything here about Michael being black. I personally could care less, it was Michael in that role that just didn't work that's all.
    I wasn't implying that you had said anything about his color. I was merely agreeing with you that The Kingpin in the movie just didn't work, pointing out that what some people thought would be the major drawback at the time - his color - turned out to be irrelevant in the face of more serious problems with his portrayal.

9. jamesfairlie Guest

Dude, no one said anything here about Michael being black. I personally could care less
    You and I, and everyone here presumably, couldn't care less if Michael Clarke Duncan (or anyone else playing the kingpin for that matter) was back white or orange with purple polka dots, but I do remember a lot of less, erm, enlightened fanboys making a fuss about it before the film came out. Some of them were downright racist, while others were concerned that the ingrained prejudices of the standard audience member might lead to him being seen as a "different kind" of gangster, whatever that means.

I actually think that the acting in a film of that type is far less important than the acting. Look at the first two Spiderman films. With the exception of Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe the acting in those movies was poor at best, but they're still some of the finest super hero movies ever.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Well to think to yourself 'wow that looks well written' is a rare breed imo. I think its great actually. I usually have friends and family and people i have marketed over the years say 'that looks good', thus having their eyes buy the product first. .
    Well, I'm a writer who teaches English and loves to read. :cool:

Yes i do agree though that with all the special effects with less plot does suck, i do fall victim to the marketing scheme of the movies like 2012. It just LOOKS cool lol.
    You are now my nemesis.

No, really.

Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Monday, October 19, 2009 at 08:23 PM.

CAT. 5

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast