Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Week 63: Why Comics?

1. DaddyD Guest

Week 63? Really? Had no idea you had been going at this for that long. Apparently I've missed quite a bit. Anyway, nice piece. As always.

2. BarriLang Guest

Yep. Steve and his folsky wisdom has been at this for a LONG time.

3. JohnLees Guest

I was reading the new IGN interview with Brian Michael Bendis, and thought of this thread. Here is Bendis' answer to "why comics?"

IGN Comics: Well, what I'd like to know is what drives you in the comic book industry? You have other projects in the works like the Powers pilot and you consult with Marvel Studios on films… why comics?

Bendis: I've heard other people I admire say things like this, and I think about it, but you don't really get it until later on in life… but what may seem like a goal or important to other people, say a financial goal or however you rate success, doesn't mean it necessarily fulfills the creator. It's hard to explain… but I don't feel like I'm done. I mean I filled that trade up but…

And listen, you wake up in the morning and you get all these pages from artists… it is juice, man. It is excited. That never gets old. Not a day that goes by where I'm saying, "I write Spider-Man! That's amazing!" Only my mom seems to appreciate it because I'd walk around the house as Spider-Man. You'd have thought I did write Spider-Man because I walked around the house talking about Spider-Man all day. And it happened.

I think my friend David Mack brought this up. He was here the other day visiting and he said, "You know, it's funny. You'd sit around all day writing Spider-Man until someone actually put Spider-Man in front of you." And you just keep doing these things until someone puts it in front of you. There's a lot of that in my life… I was doing this before anyone noticed. And I'll continue to do it once they take it away from me. And that will be very sad… when I continue to write Spider-Man after I've been fired. I'll be like Tarzan running around in a retirement home in my loin cloth.

4. venusianfurs Guest

Could he be any less clear? I get the gist of what he means, but still, weird answer.

5. Sliverbane Guest

Hmm...

I've learned a lot from this column. I'm also learning that writing for western comics may not be for me. Doesn't stop me from reading the column, of course.

6. DaddyD Guest

Hi, Sliverbane. I know. Long time no chat.

Well I am in agreement with you about Western comics. At least the mainstream. The indies have been good to me, but more and more (younger) creators want that same cookie cutter appearance produced by the mainstream and so often imitated. I've been working with Azurek Studios now for a bit (both as letterer and English Supervisor) and it has just been the best! I can breathe and I am actually a part of the creative process.

7. Sliverbane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
    Hi, Sliverbane. I know. Long time no chat.

Well I am in agreement with you about Western comics. At least the mainstream. The indies have been good to me, but more and more (younger) creators want that same cookie cutter appearance produced by the mainstream and so often imitated. I've been working with Azurek Studios now for a bit (both as letterer and English Supervisor) and it has just been the best! I can breathe and I am actually a part of the creative process.
    That's awesome... Being apart of the creative process feels amazing. I've been in that situation a few times. *sigh* Good memories...

Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2