Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comics & Cinema - Best Actor To Comic Hero

1. JayKatz Guest

Comics & Cinema - Best Actor To Comic Hero

Who in Hollywood has their part as a Superhero most defined as a character from the comics? While some might immediately think the negative way and say, ‘Are any characters good that have come from Hollywood?’ Yes there are if you don’t want to take everything so literal. So with that said and the understanding that no comic Hollywood movie will ever be perfect, let’s take a look at some ‘almost perfect’ comic characters portrayed by the actors of Tinsel Town.
    It took 2 actors to make the Silver Surfer come to life in Fantastic Four Rise of The Silver Surfer and what a job they pulled off. Doug Jones provided the psychically being as Laurence Fishburne provided the voice. It was some great poetry going on as the special effects just added to this magic. The only thing that could have added to this greatness was Galactus if he actually showed up, well that’s another story altogether. Doug and Laurence really nailed the essence of Norrin Radd, the emotional pain, the hurt and anguish this character needed for this movie was on point. Such a good job they did capturing this, talks of a solo Surfer movie are always on the tips of the Hollywood execs tongues. It would be an absolute science fiction epic if this film could ever get made.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	silversurfermovie.gif
Views:	77
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	6263

Robert Downey Jr. has Tony Stark pretty much slammed dunked. Is there a better guy to play Stark in Hollywood? The first movie summed it up folks, the second movie (looking at the trailers) it looks like Downey is going to outdo himself from the first movie. Robert Downey owns Iron Man, but not as much as Hugh Jackman owns Wolverine. The Wolverine character is the best portrayed superhero, not villain to be played on film. This guy has it all, the look, the attitude, the anger and the emotional struggles from within. His portrayal is as dead on from the Wolverine we know in the comics as you can get. Wolverine Origins had a few moments in there that you were very happy to see Hugh acting the part as oppose to some other actor. He nails it just about every time because he’s a good actor and gets the character he’s playing. I only hope to see a better X-Men movie made (if ever) next time around. He was the standout in each of those movies, hence why he got his own movie, but with a weaker story in the follow up X-Men movies, Hugh was caught with a bad script and couldn’t really do much with it. Wolverine Origins more than made up for that last X-Men movie in ways.

Name:	ironman.gif
Views:	41
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	6264Click image for larger version

Name:	jackmanwolverine.gif
Views:	42
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	6265

I have say, the next portrayal, when he was announced as the lead role in Batman I was very perplexed. Michael Keaton did a fantastic job on the 2 Batman movies he did. I couldn’t believe it when Hollywood said they signed Keaton. Mr. Mom?? Beatlejuice?? That guy? Well as it turned out the guy can really act his ass off and pull anything off as we witnessed. The funny part is, after he left the franchise, everyone saw how hard it really was to pull of Bruce Wayne. Val was terrible and George was worse. It wasn’t until they got crazy man Christian Bale that the Batman character on film was taken seriously once again. Bale is the second best Batman behind Keaton. Why you ask? Because Keaton is more of a surprise fit for the role than Bale. Christian seems to have been born to play Bruce Wayne. His look, charisma and serious tones have made for a very watchable Bruce/Batman. It’s a good thing that Bale will be coming back for his third stint; otherwise the Batman franchise would be dead on arrival if another actor would come in right now.

Name:	keatonbatman.gif
Views:	28
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	6266Click image for larger version

Name:	balebatmancc.gif
Views:	40
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6267

Much like Spider-Man would be if Tobey would leave that gig.
    Again, when first hearing of Tobey McGuire’s arrival to portray Peter Parker, I was feeling much like I did with the announcement of Keaton coming on board for Bats. This time though (being a tad bit older and wiser) I said to myself that I should not pre-judge but give a chance to Tobey. At first glance, he really does look the part, but I wasn’t convinced he could pull it off. But he did. Besides the black haired emo Spidey part in the latest film, he has done a, dare I say…. A ‘Spectacular’ job. Tobey shows the constant battle from within to keep his emotions in check when it comes to crime fighting, Aunt Man and Mary Jane. If Tobey or Bale did not reprise their respective roles, both franchises would feel the burn. Tobey and Christian know this, Hollywood knows this and that is why they are getting the big bucks to play superheros in tight spandex.

Name:	EMOSpidey.gif
Views:	43
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	6268

The Crow with Brandon Lee comes in as one of the best transitions from comic pages to film in so many ways it’s not even funny. It’s a ridiculous sadness of Brandon’s death and how much greatness lay before him to taking the Crow to a level of epic proportions. Jim Carey tried his hand at a couple of comic book movies, one being mediocre at best (The Riddler) while the other was awesome. The Mask was as good as it get as far as the comedic side goes in the comic book word. Carey nailed it and the sequel with Jamie Kennedy was a well deserved bomb. Hellboy is one franchise’s that is cut out for actor Ron Perlman. Who else could possible play Hellboy really? Ron is Hellboy, that’s it! Okay so I know that some are you might be wondering where is Wesley Snipes as Blade? Don’t you think someone else could have played this role? Not taking anything away from The Blade movies or Snipes. Wesley never convinced me the way the others have in this article. Maybe an actor like Michael Jai White would have done something different to make this a worthy pick. Reminder here, Wesley Snipes is a good actor, but for some reason the Blade movies can become very easily forgettable after you see them.

Name:	crow.gif
Views:	36
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	6269Click image for larger version

Name:	maskcarey.gif
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	6270Click image for larger version

Name:	bladesnipes.gif
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	6271

Some honorable mentions and not so honorable mentions; Dolph Lungdren as the Punisher pulled off the best Frank Castle to date. That first Punisher flick was as raw and ‘B movie’ as it could get, but man did Dolph bring The Punisher to the right level. Not much to say, bitter, mean, vengeful and when he did say something it was about killing someone or laying down the Punisher law. Although mentioned in a previous article that Judge Dredd was a fun comic book movie, Stallone could also have been replaced by a better actor for that part. Ben Affleck’s Matt Murdock wasn’t all that bad. The script might have been waffle-ly, but it was a fun movie and Ben did a good job with Matt, can’t say the same thing about Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider. This is another one of those movies that someone else could have stepped in and done better job possibly. Cage is a seasoned veteran that seemed to be out of his element at times. It didn’t feel right. It was an enjoyable movie for what it was.

Name:	punisherdolph.gif
Views:	159
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	6272

Well that’s it for now folks. Sure there are plenty more that were not mentioned here, but that’s why we have a comments section as well as the forums. So if you have more to add, do so! And yes no villains were mentioned in here because it’s all about the hero right for now……

See you all soon and remember to turn off your cell phone when reading this article. We need quiet in this theater.
    Jay Katz
    (www.investcomics.com)

Remember to Visit www.comicnews.info & www.projectfanboy.com for Articles from InvestComics. Get all of the mentioned Comics at www.zaldiva.com. Don't miss out on all the happenings on The Outhouse at www.theouthousers.com

2. MattDocMartin Guest

Ray Stevenson NAILED the role of the Punisher.

Also agree with RDj as Tony Stark.

3. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MattDocMartin View Post
    Ray Stevenson NAILED the role of the Punisher.

Also agree with RDj as Tony Stark.
    Did he really? I haven't made it through the entire movie yet honestly (children will do this!).
    I was doing the Thomas Jane VS. Dolph. Dolph won. lol

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about Keaton over Bale. Bale does a great version of Bruce Wayne's "Vapid Playboy" cover, but he fails as actual Bruce and moreso as Batman. I think Bale would have made a great Nightwing, though.

Silver Surfer? Really? Sometimes i wonder about you.

I think Christopher Reeve's Superman should be up there. As we've discussed at length, he totally captured the dignity and inherit goodness in Superman without coming across as a wuss or naive. Plus, he TOTALLY proved that costume works.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

5. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    I agree about Keaton over Bale. Bale does a great version of Bruce Wayne's "Vapid Playboy" cover, but he fails as actual Bruce and moreso as Batman. I think Bale would have made a great Nightwing, though.

I think Christopher Reeve's Superman should be up there. As we've discussed at length, he totally captured the dignity and inherit goodness in Superman without coming across as a wuss or naive. Plus, he TOTALLY proved that costume works.
    What was so wrong with Surfer? It was done so well I thought.
    ..And wow Christopher Reeve's Superman! Wow that was a big miss!! Good call with that one Sebastian. Yes he did prove the Supes costume worked.........in 1978! Besides the silly costume , Chris IS Superman, no doubt.

6. Sliverbane Guest

Thank you for mentioning the Silver Surfer. The actor who played him is a great character actor. And Lawrence Fishbourne did the voice-over well. It was the Fantastic Four soap opera that made me gag....

Love Hugh as Wolverine
    Love Robert as Tony/Iron Man
    Chris' Superman
    Brandon's Crow
    Bale's Batman and Bruce

I noticed Judge Dredd was in the tags. Any comments on Sylvesters performance? That movie it great to kill time when I'm just vegging out in front of the T.V.

7. JayKatz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverbane View Post
    Thank you for mentioning the Silver Surfer. The actor who played him is a great character actor. And Lawrence Fishbourne did the voice-over well. It was the Fantastic Four soap opera that made me gag....

Love Hugh as Wolverine
    Love Robert as Tony/Iron Man
    Chris' Superman
    Brandon's Crow
    Bale's Batman and Bruce

I noticed Judge Dredd was in the tags. Any comments on Sylvesters performance? That movie it great to kill time when I'm just vegging out in front of the T.V.
    Like I said, I thought Surfer was done real well. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sci-Fi epic type movie with him done by Doug Jones.
    As far as Dredd I made a small comment "Although mentioned in a previous article that Judge Dredd was a fun comic book movie, Stallone could also have been replaced by a better actor for that part."
    Although I feel the same way about that movie (I like it more than a lot of other people care to admit! lol) but getting another actor besides Stallone might have worked better and I love Stallone, he's awesome. There I said it!

8. BarriLang Guest

Stalone's performance wasn't too far off the mark. He was very flat and unemotional, so was essentially spot on. I don't think he was the right build and I don't think his lack of emotion was intentional (more lack of acting chops... seeing as I LOVE him in rocky I believe he could've done it if his heart was in it. Cliffhanger RAWKS!!) I also think he was too short and stocky to be Dredd

I'm DYING to see who they pick for the new film.

Robert Smith should have played the Crow (though Brandon Lee was good too)

James Marsten (is that his name?) as Cyclops was perfect. He was an "all American" tool just like Cyke

Cut him off at the knees and Jackman would be perfect.

What about Ang Lee (he did the motion capture in the 1st Hulk)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm RDJ Is GREAT,

I love the quirky Peter Parker that Toby Maguire's brings to the table. Though I think that's as much to do with Rami as it was Maguire.

Lets not forget Sam J Jones as
    Dum DUm Dum DUm Dum DUm Dum Dum, (sing along now!)
    Flash - a-ah - saviour of the universe
    Flash - a-ah - he'll save everyone of us
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Flash - a-ah - he's a miracle
    Flash - a-ah - king of the impossible

He's for everyone of us
    Stand for everyone of us
    He'll save with a mighty hand
    Every man every woman
    Every child - with a mighty flash

Flash - a-ah
    Flash - a-ah - he'll save everyone of us

Just a man
    With a man's courage
    He knows nothing but a man
    But he can never fail
    No one but the pure in heart
    May find the golden grail
    Oh oh - oh oh
    Flash
    Last edited by BarriLang; Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM.

9. BradHuffman-Parent Guest

A few that I think were perfect for their roles:

Mickey Rourke as Marv in Sin City.
    pretty much the whole cast in Watchmen, mostly Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian
    I hated both Fantastic Four movies, but I think Michael Chiklis was a pretty good Thing
    you mentioned Wolverine above, but Patrick Stewart was made to play Professor X

10. MattDocMartin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post

It's hard to pick what the worst thing was for the FF movie:

Dr Doom, Silver Surfer, or Alba's wig.

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast