Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: '09 Thanksgiving Special -WWFD?

1. harryd Guest

Thanks James and Calvin for posting up some replies. I'll respond to a few points...

1. The lyrics are from a real song, so yes, it wouldn't really be appropraite to use them without permission. I would have asked for permission if I could have figured out who actually owns them, but the myriad of copyright forms filed over the last 40 years or so are ambiguous at best (yes, I did try to research it.) I couldn't find a web-site for the company that seems to be the last one to sign copyright documents, well, other than about 30 companies with the same name that had nothing to do with the music industry. I changed the lyrics to more of a sound-a-like version in the final draft, but I just really like visual of the radio lyrics 'Run, Runaway' combined with something chasing after the car.

2. Heh, well, if you really want to know what the police are doing lounging at a speed trap instead of looking for the person 'missing' in the woods, is that there's no real crime to investigate. The setting is meant to be fairly backwoods, and just because someone decided to extend a hunting trip a few days, doesn't mean the police are going to call out the national guard to look for them. Stanley may be exaggerating the 'dissapearing' part a bit here to serve his own theories.

3. I do like the "She's a zombie!' line a bit better, and it's not really an anachronism, as Night of The Living Dead was release in 1968.

But for most of the rest of the comments, we'll have to see if Forby comes to defend his editorial comments. A few minor items, like some of the grammatical stuff, I did find and fix in the last draft, but beyond that it is pretty close to what was posted.

2. CalvinCamp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by harryd View Post
    2. Heh, well, if you really want to know what the police are doing lounging at a speed trap instead of looking for the person 'missing' in the woods, is that there's no real crime to investigate. The setting is meant to be fairly backwoods, and just because someone decided to extend a hunting trip a few days, doesn't mean the police are going to call out the national guard to look for them. Stanley may be exaggerating the 'dissapearing' part a bit here to serve his own theories.
    You might want to consider clarifying that in Butch's responses then, as I got the impression there was an actual disappearance.

But for most of the rest of the comments, we'll have to see if Forby comes to defend his editorial comments.
    I don't know as he has anything to really defend. There are a few differences of opinion between us, matters of taste, artistic choices... and that's to be expected. But there's actually very little I contradicted him on. I mostly focused on other aspects, in addition to what he addressed.

The only thing that really surprised me was that he was so easy on you when it came to the pacing - the story really doesn't start till page nine, because everything before that is drawn-out prologue and exposition, and that seems over the top to me.

3. harryd Guest

Just tooting my own horn a bit (hey, if I don't do it, no one else will!), but I finally, FINALLY got this project submitted out to a publisher today. Heh, couldn't think of any other place to really mention it.

Also, for some PFB lovin', here's the awesome cover art done by Marco Roblin (http://marcoroblin.carbonmade.com/):

Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3