Thread: CLASSROOM CODE OF CONDUCT -- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

1. LeeNordling Guest

CLASSROOM CODE OF CONDUCT -- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Welcome to Comics Pro Prep 2.0.

Thanks for joining us.

If you wish to simply audit the sessions, please feel free to do so.

If you wish to contribute to the discussion, please consider the following code of conduct.

1. Don't fight in Comics Pro Prep Club.

There are ways to offer conflicting opinions without telling somebody they're wrong. For example, saying, "I have a different view. I think..." is perfectly valid, and it opens up lines for a discussion, clarification of different point of views, and perhaps even consensus. "You're wrong!" is an empirical statement, and won't be tolerated.

There won't be any warnings if you deviate from this; your post will be summarily executed, everything you were trying to discuss in it will be lost forever, and I will continue as though it never existed.

If you're certain somebody has their facts--not opinions--wrong, then approach the correction with a measure of respect. "You're wrong!" gets you booted, whether you're right or not. "I think you've got your facts wrong" gives you the opportunity to make your case...and remember, just because you're certain you're right...you could still be "wrong," so there will be less egg to wipe off your face.

2. Stay on or close to topic.

We all, myself included, enjoy our segues, but with each discussion I usually have reasons for keeping its range of focus tight.

If you attempt to expand the nature of the discussion, I will make, at that time, the decision about whether it was appropriate to do so. It has been in the past, so don't be surprised if it is again.

However, if I ask you to focus on the discussion at hand, you may not continue to pursue the expansion. The first attempt to do so will get that posting deleted, so don't waste your time and energy.

Bringing up completely new topics for others to discuss is completely unacceptable. These posts will be deleted forever, so don't waste your time and energy.

If you feel a new topic is relevant to the one being discussed, ask me if it's relevant. Often I am likely to note that we will be discussing that later.

3. Don't be disruptive. The repeated derailing of discussions may have several immediate or escalating repercussions: post deletions; public censure; temporary or permanent expulsion.

This is a broad code of conduct, and its application will be subject to interpretation.

If you post here, you are accepting that I am the arbiter of this code.

I will work with anybody to explain material I have somehow not made clear to them, and that is my overall goal.

Outside this classroom, you will do whatever you choose to with your life and career.

Your goal inside this classroom should be to work to understand what we discuss...simply so that you may choose whether to apply it to your life and career.

I don't ask that you agree with my suppositions.

I do ask that you work to understand them.

Thanks, as always, for your time and attention.

See you in class.

--Lee
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Sunday, August 08, 2010 at 02:33 PM.

2. BrandonBarrows Guest

I think those are excellent rules for any sort of discussion anywhere. Looks perfect to me.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Good lookin' set o' rules. Clear, fair, and well defined.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5