Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A discussion about a sense of personal empowerment

1. LeeNordling Guest

Three gold stars!

One for having the nerve to go first!

One for approaching it well.

One for recognizing that going first allows you to get the more obvious ones on the plate!

Nice work.

--Lee

2. StevenForbes Guest

Late to the show, again, but better late than never.

Writers overwriting:

-Trying to create a "complete" world.
    -They want to be entertaining within the script

Writers underwriting:

-Time (mis)management (deadlines)
    -Working on multiple books at once

3. LeeNordling Guest

Good, Stephen.

Let me ADD something to this discussion, because I sorta screwed up.

I didn't make this an apples to apples comparison with my artist question..

So, as we explore why writers under- and overwrite, let's add this:

Why don't writers like artists making changes to ANY of their work?

Just so we're clear, I'm not asking about reasonable or unreasonable changes; I'm asking about reasons why writers might not like ANY changes.

That's more to chew on, and makes a nice apples-to-apples with the artist-related question.

Sorry for the untimely insert.

--Lee

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the apples to apples angle. Turning that microscope our own way.

Again, neither condoning nor condemning...

"I'm the creator, you're the hired help."

"That's not the way I pictured it."

"It has to be true to my vision..."

"If you're not going to draw what I tell you, it stops being my story."

"I don't want to give up/share/lose control of my characters/story/world."
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, almost forgot...

"You can't add/drop/change that, because it is imoprtant further along the story or a future issue."

CAT. 5

6. StevenForbes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeeNordling View Post

Just so we're clear, I'm not asking about reasonable or unreasonable changes; I'm asking about reasons why writers might not like ANY changes.

--Lee
    I saw this question, and it honestly threw me.

I don't have an answer for it.

If the writer is NOT an artist, I would assume (apparently, wrongly) that the writer would expect some changes from script to art.

If I called for a glass table to be in the kitchen, and left it at that, and got a glass table in the kitchen in the art, I wouldn't be throwing a hissyfit if the table were square, rectangular, round, or oval.

If I called for an oval glass table and it turned into a square wood table, as long as it wasn't that important to the story, I'm not seeing a problem. If there's going to be a gun that needs to be seen through the glass of the table in the third act, then I'd ask for the artist to change to what I asked for, because it's important to the story.

But for a writer to not want ANY changes to the script? (Harry's supposed to be on the LEFT, not in the middle!) I'm not seeing that.

I haven't yet worked with a writer who wasn't expecting some sort of interpretation of the script. Since you ask it, I'm assuming the question is something you've come across, but I'm just not sure that the writer has a leg to stand on.

So, to answer the question (poorly), the only answer I can come up with is that the writer is a control freak.

Hopefully, that can be said without casting too many aspersions on said writer and their mental state.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Forby,

He's not asking for VALIDITY for the reasons, we're just trying to get into the heads of those who would feel these extremes. In your circles as writer and editor, you KNOW you've met those who simply would not budge for various reasons. Lee just wants to forget the right/wrong and good/bad of it, and list some of those reasons.

CAT. 5

8. LeeNordling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StevenForbes View Post
    I saw this question, and it honestly threw me.

I don't have an answer for it.

If the writer is NOT an artist, I would assume (apparently, wrongly) that the writer would expect some changes from script to art.

If I called for a glass table to be in the kitchen, and left it at that, and got a glass table in the kitchen in the art, I wouldn't be throwing a hissyfit if the table were square, rectangular, round, or oval.

If I called for an oval glass table and it turned into a square wood table, as long as it wasn't that important to the story, I'm not seeing a problem. If there's going to be a gun that needs to be seen through the glass of the table in the third act, then I'd ask for the artist to change to what I asked for, because it's important to the story.

But for a writer to not want ANY changes to the script? (Harry's supposed to be on the LEFT, not in the middle!) I'm not seeing that.

I haven't yet worked with a writer who wasn't expecting some sort of interpretation of the script. Since you ask it, I'm assuming the question is something you've come across, but I'm just not sure that the writer has a leg to stand on.

So, to answer the question (poorly), the only answer I can come up with is that the writer is a control freak.

Hopefully, that can be said without casting too many aspersions on said writer and their mental state.
    Okay, let's broaden to any SPECIFIC changes, not ANY changes.

I think Sebastian got the intent.

So, in this case, why might a writer be upset because the water glass (or whatever that he/she's upset that) wasn't drawn?

Thanks.

--Lee

9. LeeNordling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    Forby,

He's not asking for VALIDITY for the reasons, we're just trying to get into the heads of those who would feel these extremes. In your circles as writer and editor, you KNOW you've met those who simply would not budge for various reasons. Lee just wants to forget the right/wrong and good/bad of it, and list some of those reasons.
    Stephen was taking the question without what I intended to be an implicit "specific" changes (that upset the writer) to "any changes at all, even the smallest ones."

I'm happy to have cleared this up.

Again, thanks...and I like the interaction here.

--Lee

10. RonaldMontgomery Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeeNordling View Post
    So, in this case, why might a writer be upset because the water glass (or whatever that he/she's upset that) wasn't drawn?

--Lee
    It's integral to the story in some way -- as a prop, mood-setter, symbol...but the writer may not have communicated that desire in the script.

Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast