Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Comics Cultures, Part 3

1. LeeNordling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danialworks View Post
    A couple of last thoughts, and then I hope someone else in class becomes the extrovert. This is the arts, the media, you have to be able to find and use your voice.

Hey, I just got told I need to be realistic. I survived.

Variations on a theme... figure out what a publisher wants, right now, and get paid more for the effort. Figure out what is popular in your field, and spin it for next year. Figure out what the publisher wants five seconds before he knows he wants it.

And the big dog in the yard... find a way to tell the publisher that YOUR PROJECT IS WHAT HE WANTS AND NEEDS and make it stick, and then do the remarkable work.

As a sidenote, anybody not following the left to right rule should be. It works. I've been adapting to it! And eliminating film references like shot, angle, etc makes the panel more descriptive, not less, and allows the writer to see the differences between comics writing--and prose and playscipts far more easily.

Peace for now.
    I appreciate the added thoughts, Danial, but I want to steer folks away from the sales part of this, since they haven't yet gotten near digesting the "reality" part of the meal.

The saddest thing I've encountered is creators not knowing what they're talking about. I don't mean areas where we simply might disagree; I mean areas where their facts and perceptions of the publishing just don't match up with (here it comes again) "reality."

Creators telling me their Zombie Samurai story is going to be the next big thing in book publishing is very frustrating, because they THINK they're doing their job of "selling," and the thing they're selling is their ignorance...which is why I stress (from the third column on), that you NEED NEED NEED to know your market.

I spent an hour on the phone a week or two ago, jousting with a well-known editor pal about creators being marketers, him for it, me against it...but wanting to find out WHY he was for it.

We'll save the answer for another day, but here's HIS perception: creators need to help editors find their way into the approach for selling the material (something I still don't agree with), but they have to know what they're talking about, (which is why I think this is a TERRIBLE idea, because most creators don't have a clue about how to sell something).

On that note, let's get back to work, folks.

We've still got a list of questions to put together.

--Lee
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 05:11 PM.

2. LeeNordling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danialworks View Post
    As a sidenote, anybody not following the left to right rule should be. It works. I've been adapting to it! And eliminating film references like shot, angle, etc makes the panel more descriptive, not less, and allows the writer to see the differences between comics writing--and prose and playscipts far more easily.
    I forgot to thank you for this, Danial.

I'm glad it's working for you, and yes, when approached correctly, the panels seem to come to life, become written descriptions of art that can be drawn, become a terrific tool for critiquing whether artist layouts have done the job, and focus on what's really important to advance the story.

And they allow for a lot of artistic interpretation, which means artists can work to their strengths.

--Lee
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

3. LeeNordling Guest

Guess we'll continue this on Tuesday, folks.

Start working on your lists, because that's what this coming week is going to be about: creating a laundry list of questions that determine project, sales, and publisher viability.

This is in contrast to the "I have a cool project; I'll show it to everybody; I'll take what they offer, unless I think (but don't know if) I'm getting screwed" process.

With this list in hand, you'll have a pretty good idea of where your project can stand in the commercial stream of things...and it's important to state that nothing's engraved in stone.

We're just going to be discussing the odds.

Stay tuned to this CCP station.

--Lee
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8